Defensive Carry banner

Car or truck gun??

20K views 63 replies 41 participants last post by  innercircle 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a dedicated car or truck gun? Read a story last year about how undercover cops doing "buy and bust" drug deals used a DAO Ruger SP101 in 357 that was stashed for easy access so the plain-clothes officer did NOT have to go for his secreted duty weapon if the transaction went violent. Made me think..maybe not a bad idea and a gun like that Ruger would fit the bill. Kinda like going for the BUG FIRST. Any thoughts???:smile:

#2 ·
Well, some folks consider a "car gun" to be a shoulder weapon for if things really get bad.

Its kind of difficult to do now, with the way cars are designed these days, but when I was on the road a lot of us strapped an old holster of some sort around the steering column, so it was underneath and the pistol (I used the issue 2.5" M-66) was instantly accessible to either hand. Keep in mind, that was in the 70s and 80s...

Your question has many facets. Are you trying to justify a cheaper gun to keep in your ride? No justification needed; as long as it is reliable, the cheaper the better, I say (I use a Glock 17 these days for this purpose).

Are you looking for advice on which one? YOU gotta decide that, taking into consideration where and how you're going to position it, etc.

There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth by some folks over the practice of keeping a ready gun in your ride at all times. Folks who buy into this will breathlessly admonish you that it might get stolen, and somebody might get shot with it. Yup, that could happen. Doodoo occurs....

But remember this. The whole idea is to have the gun INSTANTLY to hand. In the glove box or center console compartment may as well be on the moon if you need the gun RIGHT NOW.

The only limits on how to accomplish all of this is... your imagination. ;)

#9 ·
There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth by some folks over the practice of keeping a ready gun in your ride at all times. Folks who buy into this will breathlessly admonish you that it might get stolen, and somebody might get shot with it. Yup, that could happen. Doodoo occurs....
Count me as one of "those folks.":mad:

Old Grunt - obviously, you are a vet like me...and like me, you were doubtlessly trained that YOU are responsible for the security of your weapon. Woe be it to the trooper that allows his weapon to fall into the wrong hands...:gah: A firearm should either be on your body, or in a safe...period. Only exception is for a short trip into a "gun free zone" when you don't have much of a (legal) choice.

Best compromise to have a handgun easily accessible in a vehicle is to take your regular carry piece out of its normal holster, and place it into a vehicle-mounted holster.

Here is a nice option - https://store.forestandfield.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_54_71_67&products_id=181

Reverse the process before you exit your vehicle.

Another option is an ankle holster for a BUG, which may be easier to access while seated in a vehicle. Or, you could opt for a shoulder holster.

Just say NO to habitually leaving a weapon in an unattended vehicle.:nono:

#3 ·
Like the steering column idea. As a retired LEO(and 2 state CCW holder + my retired ID card ala H.R.218)I ALWAYS carry,usually one of my Glocks...BUT getting to the weapon on my person while seat belted in my car or pick-up could be a REAL problem. A dedicated and well-positioned handgun might be the difference in a carjack or other vehicle centered encounter. I will admit it is something of an excuse for another handgun purchase....but even a used Model 10 Smith might fit the bill without breaking the bank!:smile:

#4 ·
My aunt and uncle used to be freinds with acouple who where very very wealthy. There was a square cut out in the wood grain dash. Really really nice job when you pushed the button under the cut out a tray would pop out and lock in place with a 38 ready to go. As LSP stated only limit is your imagination and wallet.

#5 ·
Two things to consider: should you ever be in an accident, if it is one that does not result in an ambulance ride, make sure you have something to conceal the gun in while waiting for a ride or the wrecker. If the accident involves you being transported for medical help you might want to consider a firearm that would be easily cleared/made-safe by some one not too familiar with firearms. My luck would have me survive the wreck but shot by some do-gooder bystander type.

#55 ·
Glock. That's what the LEOs here use. I think the state police use Sig 229s...not sure, but either way I like having something that is familiar to the local police for times like this.

#7 ·
I suggest Summit Gun Broker Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.. He always has some used Glocks or Smiths or Rugers...that would be excellent car/truck guns. Just saw some nice Beretta 96s there. The prices are very good on some of his stuff. Probably where I will buy mine.

#8 ·
Personally I don't want to be separated from my weapon, I want it on me! :yup:

#10 ·
I have a dedicated truck gun. It is a semi auto of the Glock persuasion. I will also be installing a dedicated truck long gun once I get the scabbard built.

As always I hope to never need either, but burying my head in the sand is not my normal, so I am planning on being prepared.

To me, it is just like having a tow strap, jumper cables, a tool kit, a spare tire, extra wiper fluid, ATF fluid and the like. Most of the time, it is dead weight, but when you need it...

#11 ·
I have a car gun. A Beretta 21 in .25acp in a small little compartment on my dash.
1: it's small and hard to find if you don't know it's there
2: if it gets stolen, I'm not out much money. Less than $50 in it.
3: I can drop it into a pocket if I need to, it carries easy and safe.
4: It's enough for across the car shooting and better than bad language. I keep Winchester Expanding point in it.

If you haven't already, read this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...0726-st-paul-area-alert-stolen-ar-pistol.html

#13 ·
Short answer, "No!"

I guess for those who are cops, an extra gun tucked away in the vehicle may be just the ticket (kind of a pun).

I'm not a cop, and I want my firearm on my person. I'm with those who do not like leaving weapons in the car. If I want a BUG (seldom have one), then that would also be on my person.

Here in Central Florida, we've had a half-a-dozen cop cars broken into and weapons stolen out of them...the BG's know that they are there and have no problem getting them.:hand1:

I have, on rare occasions, left a sidearm in the vehicle, but it was in a CoM safe and not easy to find.

Stay armed...whatever works for ya'...stay safe!

#16 ·
I carry at 4 o'clock or in the left pocket, and I like to make sure I have a full size gun available in the car (with a spare holster if I need it). I have a truck with a driver's bucket and bench front, a cheap holster secures right between them, and it's available VERY quickly with the right hand if I need it. Much faster than trying to fish something out of the pocket or twisting around in the seat.

#20 ·
I would never keep a weapon in my truck. Stolen truck, Stolen weapon = murder weapon, lifetime of guilt that you will never know if...

#22 ·
I will not create argument as I am certainly not a specialized advice giver :embarassed:

But ..

If you are in a firefight situation where you have to resort to grabbing a car gun? out of your vehicle to shoot at an assailant you are on the wrong side of the worst day of horrid luck.

Once again I offer common sense here by simply suggesting that a gun left in your vehicle that is not on your person is very immature and extremely irresponsible thing to do in my opinion. Take that gun with you. Law permitting obviously in many cases you have to leave a gun in your car probably due to state and local laws. No excuse if you are allowed to carry.

I say immature due to the lack of the application of wisdom in determining the result of the many "what if's".

I say irresponsible due to the knowledge that a vehicle like any object not connected to your body or locked in an extremely durable and heavy safe is subject to theft.

I would consider a vehicle theft a major loss but I can live with it knowing that eventually the car will just run out of steam and get junkyarded somewhere, chop shopped, or sold to some shady dealer.

A gun on the otherhand ... well I would not be able to sleep and it would be a lifetime of punishment wondering "what if due to my lack of responsible forethought some Kid just got gangbanged with my weapon, or a bank robbed, or worse yet someone shot their spouse and children in a fit of rage.

A felon is likely to steal your car and "WOW I FOUND A GUN"!! I can't buy one of these anywhere. Now I have my own!! FREE!~! Now time to plunder, rob, steal, and shoot stuff and people.

You are not immature or irresponsible because I posted my opinion. I would think that a person that makes these choices knowingly while thinking about the potential loss of life and property due to negligence and forethought is.

These forums are a wonderful exchange of personal experience and wisdom. I have asked many questions and have received different than expected and sometimes unwanted answers. But after thought was placed into them they seemed to be derived from experience and wisdom of those making the suggestions.

#24 ·
As often as cars are broken into these days, I would fear that the gun would be stolen. Certainly food for thought though. I am working at the gun club today, I'll ask some of the guys there what they think about this question. Give some feedback tonight.

#25 ·
Every time you leave your house you leave guns unattended. Sure mine and likely yours are locked in a gun safe but homes and safes are broken into every day all over the country, it’s a fact of life. So if you think never leaving a gun unattended in your car or truck is a bad idea its only your personal decision. You can argue that leaving guns locked in a safe at home is due diligence and leaving guns locked in a car is not, but in reality it’s the same thing. Your guns are somewhere you are not.

#28 ·
I dont think there is anything wrong with having a Car Gun...I am 6'3" 275 and I can not easily access my G23 in its IWB rig while seatbelted in. If I can find a good reliable weapon to put in my console or glove box that I can easily reach to defend my or my loved ones life during a carjacking or whatever...I will. Its just a risk you have to accept or not. Someone stealing your car and gun and possibly hurting or killing someone is no greater a risk than them carjacking you and hurting or killing you or your passengers.

#33 ·
If I still had my former P89DC, that would be my truck/car gun. If I could find one for $250 now, I'd get it just for that purpose. Tossed under the driver seat, or wedged in between the rear bench seat and back, or under the front seat middle console. I might even be more creative than that. Thing is, it would be placed as a backup, or go to quicker than the concealed piece that I'm carrying. As mentioned previously, your primary should be feeling your skin all the time. Self defense with a lethal weapon is a mindset....just like a soldier at war. You live it, breathe it, sleep with it, and take it to the latrine with you. But available alternative options are always good.

#35 ·
I have a PPK clone .380 I keep in the pocket of my bench seat in the truck & when I get out for any amount of time I lock it in the ammo box wielded to the floor behind the seat with a slap latch & pad lock :wink:

#41 ·
Boy there's sure a lot of thought going into this debate. Or should I say over thought... With that said I think everyone should analyze their OWN situation and then decide whether or not to keep a gun in their vehicle. Me, I keep a Taurus loaded with #4 shot in the truck. :wink:

#43 ·
Here in PA, if your vehicle is broken into and your handgun stolen, you LTCF is up for grabs... Not the way it should be, IMO, but nonetheless, I have read about people in my state whose guns were stolen from vehicles, who subsequently had their LTCF revoked by the issuing county... No criminal charges filed aginst them, that I know of, but still - Not worth it for me personally... I keep my pistol on my person at all times, unless absolutely not possible legally (courthouse, etc.)... It's unfortunate, but also the way it is here is PA...

In theory, I very much like the concept of a truck/car pistol... If I did that kind of thing, It would likely be a very low-maintenance, high-capacity 9mm... Glock 17 most likely... High heat and humidity PA summers spent in a glovebox or console can be tough on an all-steel piece, in terms of corrosion...

Regards,

Bones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.