Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spl.

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spl. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not real familiar with this gun, but a new lady in my life has one for self-defense purposes. What can you guys more familiar ...

Thread: Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spl.

1952 - 2006

I'm not real familiar with this gun, but a new lady in my life has one for self-defense purposes.

What can you guys more familiar with this gun tell me about it?

I just did a complete cleaning, oiling and inpection of it and it seems to be in pretty good shape.

At the gun show yesterday I bought her some Golden Saber 125gr JHP's for it. I was afraid to get anything +P so I stayed with standard pressure loads.

Any info would be appreciated guys and gals.

Thanks
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I have seen several and I honestly mean to buy one for myself one of these days. I don't own one but I have looked into them a little bit.

The old Charter Arms Undercover Special was just a good old fashioned no nonsense gun. There's nothing particularly fancy or special about them. I see them for upwards of $250 sometimes but I think that's too much. I wouldn't pay more than $230 maximum, matter of fact I'd only buy it for $200 or less because I don't need it.

I am not aware of any that were +P rated.

It is inexpensive but not a piece of junk. It's about like an old pre Taurus Rossi: it's not as refined as the big names they're cloned after, but if you get one that works it works just fine.

The only thing I've heard about them that's bad is that after 5,000 or 10,000 rounds some of them develop timing issues.

If I didn't have very much money for a gun and I found the Undercover Special at the right price, I'd buy it without hesitation.

I can't speak to the Charter 2000 models, assuming they brought it back.

It's one of those "good values" I'm ever vigilant for at the local pawn shop. It would be extremely useful gun to have for some applications I can think of.

VIP Member
    I believe the newer Undercovers are +P rated.....I think I read in a gun magazine.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The new and old Charter Arms are two different outfits though... does she have a Chater Arms or a Charter Arms 2000? I know next to nothing about the new ones but a google search should turn up some stuff on the new ones.

Assistant Administrator
    I think Class3 (Lucifer!) should be able to add something here - Bob?? - - over to you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    http://www.charterfirearms.com home page

http://www.charterfirearms.com/faq.htm FAQ

"Q. Can I shoot +p in my .38 five shot revolver?

A. Charter .38's are the smallest revolvers in this caliber. They can handle +p but we do not recommend a steady diet. "
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I think Class3 (Lucifer!) should be able to add something here - Bob?? - - over to you.
    LOL...........Lucifer here <JK> yes.....the undercovers would handle a diet of +P loads but not too many boxes worth though........
    BTW...Notice the 2 pUGS below.......I own both.......bought at the store..........ONE has a bobbed hammer and trigger job....<evil grin>
    YES....Charter Arms IS COMING BACK into production.. ALL the models will be produced including a model resembling the 642.. <hamerless> the Bulldog Pug in 357 and 44 sol. as well...........in Stainless steel and blue...........all +P rated.........and reasonable money too.....you'll be seeing them around mid summer
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I have one, decent little snubby, very light, I wouldn't put many +P rounds through it though. I picked it up for $125 with a holster and a box of shells.
    Its above my SP101 and below My Mark I

1952 - 2006
    Thanks guys.

It's an older Charter Arms. She says she's had it for about 20 years and in that time, never cleaned it. So that was my job tonight.

Like I said, it seems to be in good condition and I think it will perform well for her with the Golden Sabres that I got for her. All the ammo she had for it was, 5 rounds of 158gr LSWC. While they would probably work, she says she's had them for 20 years also. I figured it was time to refresh her ammo supply.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I belive charter is now owned by mks supply the makers of hi-points might check there web site. Sixgun

My ex wife has my first one (An old Charter) and I have my second one (a new Charter, here with me at this moment). I like them both but prefer the new one. It appears to be better made with a shrouded Cylinder Rod ( I think that's what you call the rod that the cylinder rotates on and moves forward when you open the cylinder.) It also came with a nice rubber padded grip that improves the positivity of the hold and softens the recoil considerably. They are both ideal pocket carry snubbies.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Sponsored Links