Help with pocket gun

Help with pocket gun

This is a discussion on Help with pocket gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am lost on what to do here. I want a good pocket gun for summer. My local shop has the new Kahr P380 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with pocket gun

Cool Help with pocket gun

Hello,

I am lost on what to do here. I want a good pocket gun for summer. My local shop has the new Kahr P380 on display (none instock tho) as well as the normal stuff. Kahr PM9, KT p3AT, & Ruger LCP. Currently I carry either a Glock 19 or M&P9c. I would rather have 9mm than 380 as it is much cheaper and I have a good stock of it but this leads to my question. Is the PM9 a true pocket gun? I normally where Cargo Shorts and plan to carry in my front left pocket as I am left handed. I would like to hear from others that have the PM9 and the feed back for front pocket use.

If the PM9 is to large for everyday pocket carry I may have to consider a .380. I like the small Kahr but I would have to get on a waiting list for it while the LCP and P3AT is instock and much cheaper. I have read many comparisons between the 3 guns but I would like to hear from someone that may have all 3 or if any one has any opinions.

I will be looking forward to all of your replies.

Thanks!
    --Adam
    Last edited by Adam500; June 27th, 2009 at 10:53 AM.

JD
    Administrator
    Fixed

VIP Member
    I have a CW9 which is .6" longer and .5" taller than the PM9 and I can pocket carry it in my cargo shorts. I normally carry a 642 and the CW9 is not really any bigger, just a little blockier. I feel they are interchangeable for pocket carry. If I am carrying IWB, I go with the CW9 during the hot summer months....

I would much rather have a 9mm than a .380...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Buy the display!!!
    Or get a P3AT. Lighter, smaller and plenty of extra money for ammo.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Don't rule out the Kel Tec PF9. It's light, super thin, cheap, reliable, and great for pocket carry!

I don't know how it is where you live, but trying to get ammo for a gun like the P3AT is next to impossible around here.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Don't rule out the Kel Tec PF9. It's light, super thin, cheap, reliable, and great for pocket carry!

I don't know how it is where you live, but trying to get ammo for a gun like the P3AT is next to impossible around here.
    This is where I ended up. I used to carry a 442 in my dress slacks front pocket but switched to the PF9 to go up to 9mm and 8 rounds instead of 5. It's light, reliable, accurate, and cheap. What's not to like? It's super thin and light. Get a good holster that breaks up the outline of the butt. Smyrna shooters offers a nice one. In my opinion, this gun and the Kahr make the snubbie obsolete. And the Kel Tec is just as good as the Kahr and way cheaper. It is the ideal gun for me right now. I'm thinking of getting a tuckable holster for my work clothes as it's so thin.

EW3
    I'd go for the LCP over the P3AT in a heartbeat.

I had a P3AT and got rid of it as it was a troublesome jam-o-matic, plus the fit and finish was very poor.

I now have an LCP and can put 100-200 rounds through it in a session with no problems whatsoever!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I pocket carry one of two pistolas, either a S&W 637 or my KelTec P-3AT. The KT disappears in a pocket and I keep it in this...
    Pocket Holster The secret to this pocket holster is the 'thumb push'.

Many gun shops keep some .380 back for customers who buy their .380 pistols...ASK!
    I believe I would buy the display (nothing wrong with that). If you look around, you CAN get some .380 ammo. It's not going to be a lifetime shortage anyway. OMO

Note: I just bought a couple of boxes of .380 last week, none on the shelf, but I'm a good customer...she got some out of the back.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    I own a K-T P-3AT, Ruger LCP, and K-T PF-9, that being said, the 380's in my opinion are in a different league than the 9-mm. 380's are much easier to pocket carry, and noticeably lighter.

If I am going into an area that raises the possibility of having a bad day or multiple targets, well yes I do grab the PF-9.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I seem to be having the same dilemma that you are experiencing. I really like my Glock 19 and my Ruger LCP, but I am looking for a small thin 9mm for pocket carry. I have narrowed the choice down to two pistols, the Kahr PM9 and the Keltec PF9.

While I admire the Kahr's quality, I am not too happy about the price. The Keltec on the other hand costs less, but is not as refined as the Kahr PM9. In the near future, I may end up with the PF9 as it strikes the best compromise between quality and cost and, overall size.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I don't have any problems carrying a Kahr PM9 in a FIST K5 pocket holster. In cargo shorts, you'll barely know it's there. I don't feel undergunned at all with it loaded up with 147g HST. I also have a Seecamp .380 on order though that should be here hopefully sometime in the 21st century. That will be for ultra concealed carry in a Del Fatti PH-3. Ammo isn't a problem as I stocked up back when I ordered it 16 months ago.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. As far as ammo goes for the 380 the store has about 3K rounds sitting on the shelf at 30 bucks a box.... But it does have it. Many of you mentioned buying the display of the P380 but they will not sell their display guns. That way others can look and compare the guns before ordering or buying.

I am going to head up to the store toady and look them all over really well. I think I may have to give the PF9 a look too. I personally do not like the way the checked (large squares) grip feels in my hand. But I will give it another look.

--Adam

Well I went to the shop and looked around. tested several guns in my pocket the PM9, P380, P3AT, LCP, PF9. I ended up getting a PM9. It was cheaper than the P380 and fit well in my pocket. I really wanted a 9mm over a 380 anyhow.

I got it at what I think is a good price 560.

I will get some pictures and post them as soon as possible.

--Adam

We need pics

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I think you picked a fine weapon. I was slow to accept the Kahrs, but after handling them and a little experience with other owners of them I think they are a fine weapon.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links