Gun Advice for the little missus!

This is a discussion on Gun Advice for the little missus! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to get a gun for my wife. She likes my PT145 but I was thinking something a little smaller. Recommendations? She likes ...

Thread: Gun Advice for the little missus!

Gun Advice for the little missus!

I would like to get a gun for my wife. She likes my PT145 but I was thinking something a little smaller. Recommendations? She likes shooting, so I am not too concerned about recoil issues, heck she likes to shoot my Mossberg 500 and that kicks like a Clydesdale. I know that a shotty isn't a handgun but she is pretty tough! Just a good stopping power gun that will fit into her hands,

2. Remove Ads

Why not give her what she likes?
    Has she tried any others?

VIP Member
    Definitely let her pick out her own weapon!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You have to let her pick her own. If she likes your PT145 why not get her one?
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

It is very important for a woman (Or anyone for that matter) to pick out her own gun. My advice would be to take her to a gun store that has a large selection, even if you aren't going to buy from there. Let her take her time, look them over, hold them, work the slide, etc... If they happen to have a range, even better! Rent the first three that she liked the best and let her shoot them and THEN purchase whichever one she wants. I know it sounds like a long process but it's not AND it might save you some moolah later. The first carry gun I pruchased was one that I had done a TON of research on. I held it, liked it, bought it..... couldn't get used to the trigger. Sold it and bought something else that I had fired and liked. Just my .02, good luck!

VIP Member
    Let her try as many as she can get her hands on and pick her own.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt "My Bad, Should Have Let Her Pick It Out!"

I tried two times to get the 'boss' her own gun...and expensive lesson and two safe queens later, she found her own.

Stay armed...let her pick it out...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Steer her towards Sig :) Let her pick out the P239 by herself though. (Good gravy, I adore mine!)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I agree with everyone, let her pick. Also don't fall into the trap of woman=small gun. I have bought 5 guns since September and my favorite is the Browning Hi Power, not a small gun. And I much prefer the Glock 19- the first one I bought- to the Glock 26 (rented this one). Renting is really a good idea, based on just handling the gun I would have bought the 26, as soon as I shot it I didn't like it at all. Love the 19 though.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Same here. Its a HUGE mistake to choose a weapon of any kind for your wife. Take her to a range and let her shoot as many guns and calibers as she can. Take her to a gun show. Let her cruise around the internet and find a gun.

HOWEVER, its always good to give advice and the pros and cons of each gun. Especially if she isnt that savoy on handguns.

Mine is in love with the Glock 26, but has meandered towards the Kahr PM9. Dang it I want that too....But def let her pick. Maybe a PT111?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Since when do we allow women to make up their own minds, let alone buy firearms?

I mean, really!

Next thing you know they will start to have opinions, work, post on the internet...

Take her to the store and let her hold as many as possible (If she can shoot them even better, but this is a lot harder to accomplish). In the long run you'll be a lot happier.
    -Cody-

HK USP Tactical 45
    HK P2000SK .40, LEM, Night Sights

I agree with the others, if she likes the PT145 get her one. No need to get something smaller just because she's a lady (assuming that's the line of thinking). My ex-wife carried a PT140. She was a small girl,5'3 110.
    Just be glad that she is willing and able to protect herself, too many people,male and female don't.
    I have a PT145, it's a very soft shooter. 23 ounes,10+1 in a small easily concealed weapon. I like it a lot.
    There are a lot of guns out there that I like but this one fit the bill for me best overall.
    I'm not a fan of grip safeties, that, size/weight and capacity were big factors for the PT145.

Links