Springfield XD reliability question

This is a discussion on Springfield XD reliability question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son has gotten interested in handguns and I've been taking him to the range with me. He goes to college and lives in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD reliability question

Springfield XD reliability question

My son has gotten interested in handguns and I've been taking him to the range with me. He goes to college and lives in a pretty rough neighborhood and wants his cc permit soon. He's tried out several and is liking the 9mm Springfield XD subcompact or compact. He also likes one of the Sigs but it's too pricey for him. I tried to get him interested in the Glocks but he is not as fond of them as the Springfield - likes the way it handles and shoots for him. I think he likes that backstrap safety feature that the XD's have and is nervous about having no external safety on the Glocks.

Does anyone know of the reliability of these Springfield XD's compared to the Glocks? I know 2 guys at my range who have them - both subcompacts one is .40 and the other 9mm - and they like them and claim they are super reliable and shoot all kinds of fmj and jhp ammo. Would most trust their lives to this semiautomatic? Any experiences or opinions much appreciated.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

2. Remove Ads

great gun.

as reliable in most opinions as a glock. basically, the xd's are glocks with different ergonomics.

VIP Member
    My XD45 has never had any kind of malfunction. I don 't have personal experience with the compacts or subcompacts, but they seem to be reliable as my full size XD. My XD is my nightstand gun, so I guess you could say I trust my life and my families life to it.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I cannot speak for the 9mm, but I do have the Tactical model in .45ACP; I can say that it will digest everything I throw in it without fail....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have an XD .45 Compact, (primary carry in cold weather) and a Glock 27 .40 sub-compact, (primary carry in warm weather) and trust my life with both.

I looked at the XD sub-compacts when I bought the Glock and my deciding factor was the Glock is slightly smaller and a lot lighter.

You will hear this repeated many times over regarding the safety of a Glock. There are internal safety's: firing pin block and trigger safety, but the most important safety is to keep your finger off the triger until you are ready to shoot.

I have a XD40 and I haven't had a single malfunction, from the reading i have done and just my own experience i would have to say that XD's are every bit as reliable as the glocks. The glock 20,000 shots thing was replicated by XD and it did just as well, if you search the internet you can find it, the article is pretty interesting.

My XD9 Service has been very reliable and a pleasure to shoot and carry. I don't have enough Glock experience to make a comparison but I can say I find the ergonomics of the XD much more to my liking.

JD
    Administrator
    I have a XDM with a relatively low round count of 1500+/- and not one malfunction, so far I'm happy with it.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    XDs are great pistols, he can't go wrong with one
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

absolutely great pistols. I actually have twins (9mm and 40) and LOVE them. Looking to get a full sized .45 soon.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I have an XD .45 Compact, (primary carry in cold weather) and a Glock 27 .40 sub-compact, (primary carry in warm weather) and trust my life with both.

I looked at the XD sub-compacts when I bought the Glock and my deciding factor was the Glock is slightly smaller and a lot lighter.

You will hear this repeated many times over regarding the safety of a Glock. There are internal safety's: firing pin block and trigger safety, but the most important safety is to keep your finger off the triger until you are ready to shoot.
    Except SWC. Semi-wadcutter feed mods? - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    the xd's are glocks with different ergonomics.
    +1! Trust my XD9SC with my life, great EDC. Shoots great, eats everything.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

All guns from the following manufacturers(autoloaders) can be considered of the same "reliability" assuming you have broken in the gun, are using good clean mags, the gun is in proper order, and you are using ammo that the gun likes. S&W, Sig, Glock, Kahr, springfield, Kimber, and anything from most of the 1911 shops (bear, wesson, etc.).

We only hear of the bad stories online. There are millions of silent gun owners out there with no complaints to share.

Get your gun, test it, run 100 or more SD rounds through it to be sure it chews em up, keep it clean and maintained...and don't worry about it past that.

If you do have ANY problems, the major manufacuturers should take care of you. Otherwise guns have great resale value so the lesson didn't cost much.

Good luck.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

XD torture test below

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

I've had mine for a few months now. Only errors I've had were user
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

My XD40sc is very reliable and very accurate. Alot of guys say they shoot better with the subcompact than the compact. I also hear Springfield Armory has excelent customer service.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links