xdm vs. m&p. 40 vs. 45

This is a discussion on xdm vs. m&p. 40 vs. 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here is the question. I am upgrading to a newer pistol. I am seriously looking at the xdm and the m&p. Pros and Cons ...

Thread: xdm vs. m&p. 40 vs. 45

xdm vs. m&p. 40 vs. 45

Ok here is the question. I am upgrading to a newer pistol. I am seriously looking at the xdm and the m&p. Pros and Cons on both would be great. The next is caliber, i'm looking at the differences between 40 and 45. This will be my carry weapon so if that makes a difference there you go. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Thomas Jefferson - “To George Washington, 1796: One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ph0enix View Post
    Ok here is the question. I am upgrading to a newer pistol. I am seriously looking at the xdm and the m&p. Pros and Cons on both would be great. The next is caliber, i'm looking at the differences between 40 and 45. This will be my carry weapon so if that makes a difference there you go. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Keep in mind the XDM does not come in a .45 yet. With that being said I have 7 M&Ps and 2 XD.45s.

I bought an XD service and an XD compact as mentioned above. I'm very accurate with both but have had FTE a number of time more on my XD compact with both having right a 1000 +/- 100 rounds through them.

Both XDs carry easy however for me the compact is not as comfortable as the service carrying even though it has a shorter grip in an IWB holster the Looper from Custom Carry Concepts,LLC : Looper

One thing the XD.45 will not do/do well is shoot SWC. Link to the XDTALK site XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source! - Powered by vBulletin

My M&Ps I love I have 3 FS M&Ps 9s + a M&P Pro, 1 M&P Compact in 9 a .40 FS and 1 FS .45.

My M&P .45 shoots much softer than the XD.45s and again I'm very accurate with it. In addition my M&P .45 will shoot SWCs all day long and never missfeeds, FTE etc. The M&P board The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com

Keep in mind all guns can fail whether it's FTE, FTF etc. or just not work.

I would suggest consider both guns, test fire them both if you can with various ammo then you decide. Good luck!!
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

I own both the XDm and the M&P. I have them both in .40. I carry the XDm because (1) I love it, (2) I trust it more than the M&P, and (3) I hit better with it.

I chose the .40cal because its right in the middle of the road. Its fast and has knockdown power. Plus you can get more into a mag. My XDm holds 16+1. Something to think about.

You might want to go to a range that rents them or see if a friend has one or the other and shoot it and see what you like the best.

XDM/M&P

I have had both the xd in 9mm and still have two M&P's. The XD was sold to help pay for the purchase of my M&P 45. I will solve the problem you pose as far as which caliber to get by getting both. I am waiting for Smith to offer the free mag rebate. I do hope it comes soon, but not holding my breath.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have 2 primary carry weapons, a Glock 27 .40 cal & an XD .45 Compact.

I bought the Xd 1st and wanted a smaller EDC piece for these hot days of summer when I bought the Glock. I looked at the M&P sub-compact .40, but just was not comfortable with the feel of the hinged trigger. The XD and Glock triggers are very similiar feeling.

VIP Member
    The M&P is a great gun, but the reliability is not proven. Do some research, there seems to be quite a few issues with the mag release. I would get the XD, as I just made a similar decision.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links