First time shooting a S&W J-frame

This is a discussion on First time shooting a S&W J-frame within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking to get a small revolver for CCW, so I went to the local range yesterday and rented a S&W 642 with Crimson ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time shooting a S&W J-frame

I've been looking to get a small revolver for CCW, so I went to the local range yesterday and rented a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips. I shot it both with and without the laser. Although I would not say the gun is 'fun' to shoot, the recoil was reasonable and my hand did not hurt much after shooting 50 38 special rounds through it. One thing I did notice that its not the easiest gun to sight. I was able to put all rounds within a 6" radius (I got progressively better as I shot) at 15 to 20 feet. I've heard stories of guys shooting their J-frames at 100 yards (although I honestly have no idea why anyone would want to do so). After shooting one, I'm not sure how anyone could hit anything much beyond 20 yards with stock sights. Are these guns really that accurate or are people just talking???

I wasn't that accurate with one. If I got one, it would have to be a steel-framed one.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

People are just talking. The snubbie Smiths are accurate enough, but the short sight radius means that hitting anything beyond about 25 yards is mostly a matter of luck (or a huge target like a 4x8 piece of plywood). Sometimes at longer ranges you can adjust if you see where you are hitting, but hitting a person-sized target still a matter of luck.

Before you buy you may want to try a Ruger LCR. Easier to carry and it is actually fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by kscbob View Post
    Before you buy you may want to try a Ruger LCR. Easier to carry and it is actually fun to shoot.
    +1 I agree 100% .I love my J frames but the LCR is a joy to shoot and carry.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I've always been a staunch S&W buyer, but have heard a lot of good feedback on the LCR--I'd encourage you to check it out!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Everyone should have at least ONE snubbie, and yes...some individuals can be extremely accurate with one...I'm not.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I've heard stories of guys shooting their J-frames at 100 yards

When you consider the low velocity, distance and weight of the bullet (at least 110 grs). I would have my doubts. It would have to be aimed like a mortar.
    Last edited by automatic slim; June 27th, 2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: punctuation
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Find an older Smith. Not just because it doesnt have the lock either. They are generally better all around. Better QC in the old days and better trigger pulls. No MIM parts either. Even though they are not officially covered under warranty, you better believe Smith will fix whatever is troubling your older gun if they want to keep up with companies like Taurus, Kel-Tec, and, you guessed it, Hi Point's lifetime transferrable warranties.

I hit a 8" steel plate at a measured 50 yards with 4 out of 5 shots from my S&W 342PD 2" during lunch at range qualification a couple years back. Ammunition was my own handloads using a 125 grain JHP. Its been long enough ago now that I don't remember what powder, charge, or the exact bullet. That is the furthest target I have tried with a J-frame. The guns themselves are accurate, but they are limited by the sights, triggers, and primarily the nuts behind the triggers.

I have several snubbies of various types and I'd like very much to acquire more. They are great little guns.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keboostman View Post
    but the short sight radius means that hitting anything beyond about 25 yards is mostly a matter of luck
    Tell that to Bob Munden!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Like anything you have to practise to get good. I used to shoot my S&W Model 36 quite accurately out to 15 yards. Then my eye sight went downhill. Now it's a point and shoot gun since I can't see the sights anymore. And yes it's still quite accurate at close range even not using the sights!
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Tell that to Bob Munden!
    Exactly. He popped a baloon at what? 200 yards? Can Joe Blow pick up his J-frame and hit the gong the first time at 100 yards, probably not. With practice, you can become very consistent at long range with handguns. Guys shoot bigger handguns at 300-400 yards all the time. No different than anything, it's all about practice.

I've been considering a set of CT grips for my 642. I think of all the guns they would be handy to have them on, the J-frame ranks up there.

My 340SC shoots acceptably, especially with the Crimson, and I would definitely take a head shot out to 15yds (with/without laser), time permitting. Beyond that, gets sketchy. The concealability and weight far outweigh any negatives with the little powerhouse (.357), and it seems that whenever I do not want to carry, it is the answer (Sig P245 .45 and HK P7M8 normal carry).

I actually have my name on a list to purchase a Ruger LCR, but I'm still waivering between that and a J-frame. None of the gun shops around me have the LCR in stock, so I haven't been able to hold it or shoot one. I'm really torn. I currently have a S&W 22A and M&P9 and really like both of them. They shoot great and have been virtually trouble free, which is why I'm leaning towards a S&W J-frame. I've heard great things about the LCR, but let's face it, Ruger's track record with new releases has not be great. This gun is something I'm going to trust my life to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links