Need Help on an OLD 1911

This is a discussion on Need Help on an OLD 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a close family friend who inherited a passle of guns from his late dad. The shotties are in PERFECT condition, but the handguns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help on an OLD 1911

Question Need Help on an OLD 1911

I have a close family friend who inherited a passle of guns from his late dad. The shotties are in PERFECT condition, but the handguns are in need of repair. One is a very OLD 1911 and I'm not even sure it's an A1 model. It is indeed a Colt and marked on both the slid and frame a US Government Property. The original wood grips are worn smooooooth. I mean, I felt this gun has a story to tell. Somebody out there have a website (which somebody out there ALREADY gave me once and I lost) where I can track old 1911 serial numbers to figure out date of manufacture? I've given the guy my gunsmith's name and number if there's anybody in south Florida that fix this stuff it's THE GUN DOC! http://www.gun-doc.com/ Now if I can just find out some of the history associated with this OLD war horse....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

here ya go Ex...........hope this helps...............just click on the links and you'll find your S/N range and date of MFG
    http://www.sightm1911.com/index.htm
    Bob
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

The site Bob listed is the one to check

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    The site Bob listed is the one to check
    Heck......... I had to bet ya to the site............. I know you know about it too......... <JK Ya Bud>

OD*
    Ex,

I hate to disagree with Bob & Bud but, Ty Moore's list is the most accurate of the two.
    http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt%20production.htm

You may want to run it thru Springfield Research Service also
    http://armscollectors.com/srs/lookup_auto.php
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

I Should Add

The original checkered wood grips...even if they are worn smooth & in (what you would think) would be terrible condition are highly collectible and worth good money if they have seen war service.

I've seen old, worn smooth Colt 1911 double diamond grips get $150.00 for a set on Ebay. Just FYI.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    here ya go Ex...........hope this helps...............just click on the links and you'll find your S/N range and date of MFG
    http://www.sightm1911.com/index.htm
    Bob
    While he's there, check with 1911 Tuner, Johnny can tell you just about anything and fix most wore out old 1911's.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    The original checkered wood grips...even if they are worn smooth & in (what you would think) would be terrible condition are highly collectible and worth good money if they have seen war service.

I've seen old, worn smooth Colt 1911 double diamond grips get $150.00 for a set on Ebay. Just FYI.
    And another thing to remember that old WarHorse if all orginal is a lot more valueable as is than refinished and anything done to it.

VIP Member
    Can you get photos of the old gal?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thumbs up Thanks to EVERYBODY!

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Ex,

I hate to disagree with Bob & Bud but, Ty Moore's list is the most accurate of the two.
    http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt%20production.htm

You may want to run it thru Springfield Research Service also
    http://armscollectors.com/srs/lookup_auto.php
    By perusing these sites, I have discovered my friend's 1911 was made somewhere between Jan and Aug of 1913 in a run of 16,400. Colt only started production in 1912! My own Remington Rand was made in a much larger run during the year 1943.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lightbulb Wants a shooter not a wall relic....

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    And another thing to remember that old WarHorse if all orginal is a lot more valueable as is than refinished and anything done to it.
    Even if the rust on the rear sight is so thick it can barely be recognized as a sight? The slide is beautiful and it makes me very sad that this old warhorse has been so bady ravaged by time and neglect. But, I guess I could make the same comment about myself!

I think my friend would like to have the weapon restored to firing condition. He wants to keep the memories of his dad rather than sell the gun. IMHO (lacking the specialized skills of an excellent 'smith) the thing he really needs is a new barrel, new springs, and either a major re-work of the slide or a new slide. There may be slides available from that run on some obscure SHOTGUN NEWS website or outlet. I dunno. The gun has a sweeeeeet trigger pull. And really, the guts of any 1911 lie in the lower assembly group....the frame.

OD*
    Ex,

That's a good reason for restoration. The only time I would worry about affecting it's value, is if I planned to sell, this doesn't sound like the case. Now just a plain ol' refinish will hurt value more than a restoration and as far as 1911 Tuner doing any work on it, you would have to physically take the weapon to him, he is not an FFL holder.

You could contact Bill Adair, he maybe able to help with finding a correct replacement slide, the type the military would have used in an arsenal rebuild, like the one in Bruce's post;

That is arsenal supplied slide on a 1911 receiver.

~ Tiger McKee

Ex..........DON'T get rid of the old parts............they ADD to the value of the gun..............keep the parts seperate in a bag.........for that "just in case" time where he may want to disperse the weapon........too many guns seen on this end with new BBLS parts etc..........brings down the historical value of the gun IMHO....

OD*
    Colt only started production in 1912!
    Actually, the first 40 pistols were assembled 28 Dec, 1911 for the military.

The first 43 Government Models were assembled on 09 Mar, 1912.

~ Tiger McKee

Lightbulb Government doesn't equal "military"

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Actually, the first 40 pistols were assembled 28 Dec, 1911 for the military.

The first 43 Government Models were assembled on 09 Mar, 1912.
    Ahhh but the "Government Models" were for civilian sales. I'm pretty sure according to the collectors sites I've been to today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links