Need help on CCW ideas....

This is a discussion on Need help on CCW ideas.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well i bought my fullsize SA 1911 last xmas with the intentions to carry it when i am the legal age to acquire my license. ...

Thread: Need help on CCW ideas....

Need help on CCW ideas....

well i bought my fullsize SA 1911 last xmas with the intentions to carry it when i am the legal age to acquire my license. i don't have the holster i want to use as it will be a custom iwb, but i took my unloaded 1911 and let it sit in my belt at the position it will ride in a holster, and i have serious concerns about concealability. being the age i am i dress in a way that is at quite condusive to concealment, so i have been thinking of something a bit smaller. i have a g19 on my mind as i believe 9x19 would be a good choice for defense and casual shooting, but is it any easy to conceal than a 1911? if not could i get some ideas in that caliber(price range will probably be around $500 give or take a few dollars)
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I find a 1911 much easier to conceal , especially IWB. The trick is the gun cant hiding the grip. I get away with a t shirt and jeans . Usually untucked t shirt , w/ the shirt tucked in at the buckle only.
    Either gun should be concealable , given the proper holster and clothing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well designed holsters allow the 1911 to be concealed very easily. I'm barely 5'7" tall with a 31" waist and somewhat narrow shoulders, and I can completely conceal a Colt Commander by wearing an untucked button up shirt. If I can do it, anyone can. Since you need to wait until you're of legal age to carry anyway, why not place an order with Gary Brommeland? He states flat out that if you buy one of his holsters and it doesn't work for you, he'll take it back no questions asked. You'll just be out shipping. The Glock 19 is a fine CCW, but so is your Springfield. It's worth the effort to give it a shot in a good holster IMO.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Ive carried both a 1911 and g-17 with not problems also carrying a g20 right now all it takes is a good holster good belt and to dress right

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Although many can easily carry a full size 1911, I can't. 5'7" and my full size SA prints due to barrel lenght. If the cant is sufficient to hide the grip, then the barrel is poking out. I'm saving to buy a compact model. Officer's grip w/4" barrel. this'll help out alot. Based on my style of dress I've had to go smaller to avoid printing. Now if we stand tall and still,...but I move and bend and it's hard in any kind of business casual to conceal without some printing with the full size guns.

I'd look at a good officer's size weapon w/4".

Good luck

Gideon

If I understood that correctly you're still waiting for your good holster to arrive?

Wait until it arrives and then try it out. Trust me, good holsters, especially custom made ones, make a huge, huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    If I understood that correctly you're still waiting for your good holster to arrive?

Wait until it arrives and then try it out. Trust me, good holsters, especially custom made ones, make a huge, huge difference.
    i actually haven't ordered my carry holster as i am about six months away from the legal age, so i have some time to weigh the options, though i believe a brommeland is in order.

just a question on custom holsters: do you order them with the degree of cant you want or do they have certain measures they use for each type of pistol? i ask this as i do not want to be restricted to on carry position due to the cant being made for another. i am set on carrying iwb, but haven't decided if i want the gun at 3 o' clock or closer to 4- 4:30.

Try the 1911 with an IWB holster. If it still seems too large, try a Taurus Instant Back-up 9mm or a Kahr p9. The size is very friendly for carrying, and 9mm still packs a punch.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. orange
    well i bought my fullsize SA 1911 last xmas with the intentions to carry it when i am the legal age to acquire my license.
    How can someone BUY a gun, yet be to young to carry it?
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Puppage
    How can someone BUY a gun, yet be to young to carry it?
    I don't know what state the original poster is in, but in Florida you can legally purchase a handgun from a private party, or receive it as a gift, at 18 years of age.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    I don't know what state the original poster is in, but in Florida you can legally purchase a handgun from a private party, or receive it as a gift, at 18 years of age.
    Good luck.
    im not in FL but you got the idea

Links