Walther PPS 9mm or .40?

This is a discussion on Walther PPS 9mm or .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have lusted for the Walther PPS since I first saw it, but until recently there had not been many available locally. I had kind ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS 9mm or .40?

Walther PPS 9mm or .40?

I have lusted for the Walther PPS since I first saw it, but until recently there had not been many available locally. I had kind of thought if and when I bought one I might have to order it online. However, lately they have been regulars in the local shops, so pretty easily available. I had planned to get the 9mm, 3 of my 4 handguns are 9mm, the other is .45 (Glock 36). Now I am wondering if I should consider the
    .40? I have never shot a .40 anything so I guess what I am asking is for some opinions? I really like 9mm and have been able to build up a small stash. I love the Glock 36 too. Just wondering if it makes sense to have more variety in caliber or stick with what you like? My brother has a .40 cal Glock, would there be any benefit to getting him to the range so I could shoot it? (he wants to shoot our AR so I am sure he'd come) There are no PPS for rent here at this time.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

Variety is nice and if your comfortable with the current cost of 40cal ammo I'd go for it. Todays 9mm hollowpoints are better than ever though so you wont be undergunned with a 9mm. I'm personally not buying any 40cals untill prices come down hopefully. Good luck

VIP Member
    I prefer the more manageable 9mm ammo these days. I realize it isn't much although my age is starting to show in more ways than just appearance.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Ah, forgot about the PPK, that's .380, paid $80 for 100 rounds recently. Ouch! I am not as concerned with price of ammo as availability and how it shoots. But I do like 9mm and am leaning towards that. Just wanted to consider if there were benefits to getting the .40 instead.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

I purchased the PPS in the 9mm last week. I have since put just under 250 rounds through it: Georgia Arms, Blazer Aluminum and Winchester Silvertips (my SD round) all 115gr. No failures or hiccups and more accurate than I am. I also have a .40 in the XD subcompact. Love the XD and I like shooting it just fine but the PPS is about 7 ounces lighter. I imagine the PPS in .40 could be a fairly crisp shoot in comparison.

I bought the PPS in 9mm for my GF and she just loves it. Fits very nicely in her hands and she can control it very well. The sights are easily seen. Not many people like the mag release, but it works very well. She can work it with either her thumb or forefinger.

We have better than 500 rounds through the gun and have had absolutely no issues with it.

It breaks apart easily for cleaning and goes back together just as easily as it came apart. I have to say that I was a bit sceptical when I bought this gun but it has not let me down. It works and works well.

You should like it.
    Sometimes you find your destiny on the road you chose to avoid it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I would recommend sticking with the caliber you already have. Interchangeability is a good thing.

In an identical gun the difference between 9mm and 40sw is not that much...at least in my limited experience. I have a G26; I have shot a G27 and it felt almost identical.

If it were me the last thing I would want would be to have to start stocking up on ANOTHER caliber. I already have ignored .380 enough as it is.

On a side note, I used to really want a PPS because I thought the width would be more comfortable. After I changed around how my holster sits, the G26 became way more comfortable and now I can barely tell I am wearing it (it was riding high and digging into my side before, now it rides at the lowest setting which is nearly belt-level). I am glad I stuck with this and figured it out instead of abandoning the G26 to try for another gun. Just my personal experience
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I have the 9mm PPS and really like it. I carry it in a crossbreed supertuck and it has performed flawlessly. Very accurate gun!

I have heard of some people having issues with the the .40 but the 9mm is awesome.

I chose the 9mm because a lot of my other handguns are chambered in the same round, plus I don't cringe when I empty a few mags at the gun range. Range ammo is readily available and reasonably affordable. I have absolutely no doubt that 9mm in 124-147grain +P will get the job done. =) (one trade-off with the PPS being single stack is the capacity. I usually carry 7+1. [not as good as my XD, but it conceals better] If you go for the larger round, capacity will go down as well... something to think about)

Thanks everyone, I think I will stick with the 9mm. I have been able to obtain it fairly easily lately too so that's a plus.

sheffd- good to know it breaks down and cleans easily, that is a big plus to me. Thanks again!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
    Thanks everyone, I think I will stick with the 9mm. I have been able to obtain it fairly easily lately too so that's a plus.

sheffd- good to know it breaks down and cleans easily, that is a big plus to me. Thanks again!
    Good choice since you allready have 3 others in 9mm.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have it in both calibers and both guns are 100% rock solid. I tend to carry the 9mm more because I bought it first. The .40 is great too but it barks pretty hard. No function issues with either pistol, both run like Swiss watches. I am accurate with the 9mm but when it comes to the .40 my follow up shots are always further off the mark. I tend to shoot better with my Glock 27 (.40) than the .40 PPS.

DCT
    +1 to Siafu's comments ... I love my 9mm PPS, but when shooting the .40 version my follow-up shots were poor .. whereas follow-up shots with my Glock 27 are a non-issue. Perhaps it's a function of the smaller/lighter frame when chambered in .40 .. or more likely the shooter in my case.

FWIW
    ** Sig P229 (9mm / .40) w/ CT / Walther PPS / Glock 27 / Kimber CDP Pro II **

9MM - more reliable

I have a 9mm PPS and absolutely love it. I've had it since Christmas and put over 700 rounds of various ammo through it without a single problem.

You can also order different mag floor plates from Walther to convert your magazine between capacities. For example mine came with a 6 and 7 round mag, but I ordered the floor plates to convert the 7 into either 6 or 8. Now I can carry in any combination I want. Like 6+1 and an 8 round spare.

My EDC is a 9mm PPS. I love the feel, but compared to my others, it seems to shoot low and left. This might be me, but I've talked to friends who blame it on Walthers. It is definitely much more comfortable to carry than my Glock 26.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links