I can't believe I did it........

This is a discussion on I can't believe I did it........ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I must say that it was a really tough choice and I did quite a bit of research before I pulled the trigger. Here was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't believe I did it........

VIP Member

I must say that it was a really tough choice and I did quite a bit of research before I pulled the trigger.

Here was the scenario:

I needed a new CCW because I felt like my Glock 19 was a hair too big for summer time carry. It came down to three choices for the money I had to spend. Before the question is asked on why 9mm, it's simple (I am all about shot placement and accuracy)

1. M&P 9c
    2. Glock 26
    3. Springfield XD 9 sc

M&P 9c-

I will say that I loved this gun. It felt great in my hands and had all the key features that I was looking for. I was so close to buying this gun, but two things held me back. The first is that fact that all the sudden these guns have been on sale lately. This is not a true indicator by no means, but it tells me something. One that it might not be selling very well. Then I started doing my research on DC and asking around some of the dealers and folks at the range. Everything came back to reliability issues with the mags and mag release button.

Link to sale price.

Glock 26-

I truly have nothing bad to say about this firearm. I love Glocks and will always have one in my collection. To me there is not firearm that is more reliable. My only issue with Glocks lately, it that they have not done anything with regard to design change. Now I realize that the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but I think a fantastic design can be improved upon. That is like Mercedes Benz never adding air conditioning or power door locks and windows over the last 100 years.

XD9 sc-

What can I say, it's a blatant rip off of the Glock design as well as a few other great designs. Almost all of the feed back has been positive and it has been reviewed as a reliable and accurate firearm.

Link to XD9 sc

My decision-

I chose the Springfield XD for a couple reasons. The first is the added safety features, I understand that for some people this does not matter, but to me it does. The second reason is that I wanted something different. That might sound stupid, but it's honest.

Now this is where it gets interesting. Once I took the XD home and field dressed it to clean off the factory grease, I was pleasantly surprised by the design and the quality of the parts. Being a Glock owner for years, I have to admit that the parts that go into an XD seem to be better quality. I challenge any Glock owner to do the same and look at the parts objectively. The first thing that jumps out at you is the spring assembly being metal as well as the trigger, and the polymer frame seems a bit more stout as well. Now I realize that this is a matter of opinion, but it was the conclusion I came up with.

Today I will take the XD to the range and put a few rounds through it. The proof is in the pudding and we shall see how it shoots. I will let you guys know my report.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

When I bought my carry gun, I narrowed it down to the same three you did. i also bought the XD 9 sub-compact, for the exact same reasons (grip safety, striker indicator, loaded chamber indicator).

You will LOVE how it shoots. Mine is just as accurate as my large from pistols.

pics!!

VIP Member
    I purchased a single stack Glock not long after it first came out. Today, they are more refined and it has a lot of followers. Still, I prefer metal when I can find a good rig, and I guess that’s why I favor my P7. The 642 is my second best gun, and I did bite the “Winnie” and ordered a SIG 238.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I can't believe you did it either! If you had gotten the G26, you could have shared mags with your G19! (I have both, and carry a spare 19 mag for my 26's reload)

I'm sure you will be happy with both...enjoy!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats on the new xd
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I purchased a single stack Glock not long after it first came out. Today, they are more refined and it has a lot of followers. Still, I prefer metal when I can find a good rig, and I guess that’s why I favor my P7. The 642 is my second best gun, and I did bite the “Winnie” and ordered a SIG 238.
    Regards,
    Sig 238 is a great pistol, I have nothing bad to say about Sig's and H&K's they are just one step up price wise. Great firearms!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    The second reason is that I wanted something different. That might sound stupid, but it's honest.
    There's nothing wrong with wanting something different. I often buy on the basis that I want something different. I currently do not own duplicates of any brand.

Congrats on the new XD.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

xd is what i going to get......
    just havent decided between 9mm or 40
    congrads on your new addition
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I think you made the imformed and correct choice.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I've shoot all three, and own a Glock 26... great gun and you could not go wrong if you purchased one... that said I'm currently considering adding an XD9sc to my collection right now... however, if you enjoy the trigger of the Glock 19 you should buy the Glock 26... I'd say that I can shoot my Glock 26 just as well, and sometimes better than I can shoot my Glock 19... it might be a concentration thing, but they are very, very close.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I love my XD9sc, and it shoots very very well. For me the grip angle is a lot more comfortable than Glock, but of course that is JMO.

I have the 4" XD in .40 and the subcompact in 9mm, and the 9 has become my EDC. I really like how light and concealable it is, and with the new 13 round mags that Springfield is selling you get a lot of rounds in a very small package.

Good purchase!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Congrats on your XD decision, I would have purchased the Glock-26...wait a minute, that's what I did do...
    Actually, you couldn't go wrong with either.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

good purchase, I am happy with my XDm... but also very happy with my Glock 22! Both are great guns, I am always glad to hear when people are willing to try new weapons and give em a fair shake!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member

tested it at the range

I just got back from the range and put 200 rounds through the XD9 sc. What can I say, it shot extremely well and I really liked the feel of the ergonomics. I shot some Winchester white box without any hiccups what so ever.

The range master, who carries a Glock 19 (As do I) came over and asked about the new addition. Since I know him pretty well, I asked if he ever shot an XD and if not, would he like to test it out. The first thing he said was "wow that feels really comfortable", then he proceeded to pop off three rounds with an extremely tight group at 25 yards.

So far I am very happy with my choice, now I just need to save up for a Sig, H&K, and a Desert Eagle!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links