"Service Revolver" for CCW

This is a discussion on "Service Revolver" for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was curious to see if anyone uses a revolver such as a S&W Model 10, with 4 inch barrel, for daily carry....

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar

I was curious to see if anyone uses a revolver such as a S&W Model 10, with 4 inch barrel, for daily carry.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I used a model 28 up until a few years back. As reliable as it was, I wanted something smaller and lighter. I'm not sure if I would carry a 4-inch wheel gun in today's climate.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I carried a S&W k-frame (.38 police issue) 20 years ago it was kind of bulky, now I CC a snubbie .357. Always prefered revolvers for CC. JMO!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    When I do use revolver it's my stainless security -six with a 4 inch barrel.I like it
    because I bought it in 357 so I can practice in 38 if I want and load for the real thing in 357.It's sitting on the shelf next to my printer as we are starting to have
    a lot of home invasions.I never thought I'd see a day that I felt the need to do
    this but just listen to the news our country going crazy! I wish I was 20 again and in good health.

I've carried the same revolver all my adult live and prefer it over the small framed revolvers.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1200253

Very good.....nice to know that......I don't feel too bad now for carrying my 4 inch 686!!!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

That 4-inch Model 686 is one of those all around handguns, useful for everything from target shooting, plinking, home defense, concealed carry, or big game hunting. If a fellow had to make do with a single handgun for life he could do worse than a Smith & Wesson Model 686 4-inch revolver.

a 3" barrel, smith model 65 in a tucker iwb heritage revolver holster was my carry gun until i sold the holster. this was as close to the 4" barrel, smith model 66 i carried for 20 years while working. the model 65 was a little bulky at times. currently, i'm packing a 2" model 640 j frame magnum in a lobo gunleather iwb holster.

ed

Many years ago, when driving/working in Detroit I sometimes kept a Model 10 handy in the car--no permit back then, just the Model 10...heh.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

My carry gun of choice right now is a 4 inch S&W model 66.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

I was curious to see if anyone uses a revolver such as a S&W Model 10, with 4 inch barrel, for daily carry.
    I often do. I'm comfortable with the 38Spl+p loads and I frequently carry my 4" Model 15. I also often carry my 2-1/2" 686. I loved revolvers long before I ever used a semi auto. Now I shoot and carry both.

Yup. me too.....the revolvers are the "serious" gun, and the semis are just for target shooting fun....MOST of the time....

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Not daily but often........no more reliable or dependable gun you can carry. Old school rules!

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have in the past carried and some times now a
    S&W Mod 19 4''
    S&W Mod 581 4''
    Ruger GP-100 4''
    Ruger Speed Six 2-3/4''
    With the right holster/belt combination all conceal wonderfully.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I carry my 2.5" Model 66 and 2.5" Model 66 all the time in an OWB The Slide holster. Sometimes it just feels right.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links