Defensive Carry banner

Ankle Carry Guns: Most Common?

6K views 39 replies 33 participants last post by  INTJ 
#1 ·
For those who carry a BUG on the ankle which guns are the most common and why?

God Bless

#3 ·
Sorry sir. No ankle carry for me. When the BG bends at the hip to retrieve his weapon from "way down there" is when I will insert my bootlaces in his teeth. I can't think of one "expert" that indorses ankle carry.(although I'm sure their are a few)

Do some one on one force training with one of your biggest strongest friends and try to retrieve a (red) weapon outta your sock(off your ankle). Let me know how it turns out. ---------

#4 ·
I agree with RSSZ on ankle carry..

But most of the guns i have heard carrying that way are the J-frame smiths also some glocks...

Now as a funny side story when i bought a trade in ruger Police service six it came with a Ankle holster.. Guy must have been a body builder to wanna pack that thing that way

#5 ·
I'm not an ankle carry fan either; if I where to do it, it'd probably be a S&W 642 or other J frame; maybe a Colt six-shot snubbie or perhaps my Kahr PM9....something relatively light.

I've seen fed LEO buddies of mine ankle carry their Glock 26/27; of course their pants are boot cut.

#6 ·
Yeah, in the post above I wuz being kinda sarcasamistic(new word??). I would say for a ankle stowed weapon it would have to be the lightest weapon possible to keep it from turning/spining on your ankle when walking. Also consider running,jumping,or rubbing/scrapeing,your ankle on something. A small light revo,possibly one of the S&W Sc/Ti models might work. Or a very small BUG's,BUG.I'd be looking for a weapon that was under 15oz.,with a short bbl and grip.

Also something that would be very important would be the holster(quality?) and the fit of the weapon into the holster.

Having said that...... reread my last para. in my above post.(with respect) ---------

#7 ·
Ankle holsters are not liked by many, but here are a few jobs where they could be very useful.

If you drive alot. It's hard for most to draw quickly from the hip in a car with a seatbelt.

If you sit in an office. While sitting, it is easier for most to get an ankle gun than one off the hip.

Basically, if you sit for a majority of the day, ankle holsters aren't too bad. If you're on your feet most of the day, it's kinda pointless.

#9 ·
Oooo....I forgot to mention a funny (well, it might not have been) story an ex-GF (and sergeant with a local county sheriff's office) told me happened to her: she was in a foot pursuit of some guy when her ankle holster gave up her gun. Her foot made contact with the gun which was kicked in the direction of the bad guy. She managed to retrieve the weapon and the bad guy was none the wiser over what happened....I think she managed to effect the arrest too.

Granted a poorly fitting belt holster can loose a gun too, but this situation was a special kind of not cool.

#13 ·
I carry my Colt Cobra BUG ankle carry. It's light but still packs a punch.

I participated in a simulated kidnapping scenario where I was snatched up in a bear hug from behind by a really big guy. I couldn't draw my main gun from the waistband because my arms were pinned down. I did, however, manage to draw my Colt and shoot him in the thigh (not for real, of course).

#15 ·
The problem I have with ankle carry is that I always wear cowboy boots. And, without a boot jack, it's quite a battle for me to get a boot off to even get to a handgun on my ankle.
Wait... even without cowboy boots, I'd have to bend over and that would be interesting if I didn't have a cane to help me back up.
Seriously - I'd use an airweight J-frame or similar if I needed an ankle gun. The sitting in a car comment from someone earlier does have merit, I think, but I've just never tried it.

#17 ·
If seated in a vech. or other place that waist carry would be difficult,for me the options would be shirt/vest/coat pocket or shoulder holster. Even hanging around your neck would be better than way down there.

How 'bout a discrete draw as we have discussed in another forum. How you gonna discretely reach down to your ankle or bring your leg up to where your arm is hanging. Remember also that when you reach down there you will have to expose the weapon by using both hands.

How about speed of the draw. Put a weapon on your ankle pull your pants down over it and try to reach down,draw,and return to a decent fireing position. Time youself and let us know. Also,dont all ankle rigs have some kind of snap or velcro? That should help boost your time.

Just guessing here, but I'd say a "quick" time would be 3-4 secs. -------

#18 ·
Though I don't do it often, I sometimes carry my 642 in an ankle holster.

The most recent outing was on a date. The ankle holster had a much smaller chance of being discovered if the woman decided to get touchy-feely with me.

Sadly, that wasn't the case at all. :frown:

#19 ·
I will occasionally carry a BUG in an ankle holster; when I do, it's either a Colt SF-VI or a Walther PPK/S.

#20 ·
I agree with the general consensus and don't like ankle carry either.

Having said that, if I were to be going somewhere trouble was imminent, I would ankle carry along with several other locations. Just so I had more resources.

I agree with Chris though, the Rorhbaugh R9 would be my choice of gun.

But for daily purposes? No thanks.

#35 ·
007?

MY vote goes to the 642. The Glock is fine, too but it's heavier than the 642. For me the 642 is a 15 foot defensive piece of last resort. I loveit because it IS so light and easy to carry in my pocket with a Mika pocket holster here in South Florida.

Forget the Walther unless you're working for MI6 and your boss is named "M" because there are much better alternatives in both caliber and weight to capacity ratio! The PPKs is a fine little gun but I never saw one that had less than a 15 pound DA trigger pull right out of the box.

#22 ·
I've done the ankle carry a long time ago in the 80s, but never do it now. I always thought the gun would go skidding across the floor at some point, and stopped carry, except when riding in the car, where it would be easy to get to in a situation. back then, it was a Smith J frame 60 or a Walther PPKS

#23 ·
I like ankle carry when I am driving long distances or sitting in a chair for hours. Then it's a S&W 442.

Biker :tumbleweed:

#24 ·
I guess I am the odd ball I ankle carry quite alot with either a Model 60-14 or a Kahr K9. I drive all the time and its easy for me to draw from. Now I know I will cause a stir but pocket carry is a royal PITA for me. I either ankle or IWB and once and a while depending on my mood OWB.

#25 ·
I carry my Colt Mustang Pocketlite in a Ken Null ankle holster.

Sometimes it is a BUG to my Kimber Ultra Carry in an IWB. Sometimes I'm constrained by how I must dress and can't pack the Kimber.

As others have observed, it is slow and awkward to draw from standing. I spend a lot of my life sitting (work at a desk and driving). From seated, it's not bad.

YMMV one hell of a lot,

Bill

#26 ·
I sit at a desk 95% of the time, so ankle carry is my most common method. I find the worst part of it to be the chaffing if you don't have good padding under the strap(s). However, sometimes it's the only way I can carry. I use a Galco Ankle Glove with my Glock 27. (You'll need pants with plenty of leg room.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.