Ankle Carry Guns: Most Common?

This is a discussion on Ankle Carry Guns: Most Common? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who carry a BUG on the ankle which guns are the most common and why? God Bless...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry Guns: Most Common?

Ankle Carry Guns: Most Common?

For those who carry a BUG on the ankle which guns are the most common and why?

God Bless
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

2. Remove Ads

a small one. hehe

98% of the time I carry a Bersa Thunder 380. It is small, light weight and thin. The rest of the time I carry a Taurus 85 in stainless steel.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Sorry sir. No ankle carry for me. When the BG bends at the hip to retrieve his weapon from "way down there" is when I will insert my bootlaces in his teeth. I can't think of one "expert" that indorses ankle carry.(although I'm sure their are a few)

Do some one on one force training with one of your biggest strongest friends and try to retrieve a (red) weapon outta your sock(off your ankle). Let me know how it turns out. ---------

I agree with RSSZ on ankle carry..

But most of the guns i have heard carrying that way are the J-frame smiths also some glocks...

Now as a funny side story when i bought a trade in ruger Police service six it came with a Ankle holster.. Guy must have been a body builder to wanna pack that thing that way

VIP Member
    I'm not an ankle carry fan either; if I where to do it, it'd probably be a S&W 642 or other J frame; maybe a Colt six-shot snubbie or perhaps my Kahr PM9....something relatively light.

I've seen fed LEO buddies of mine ankle carry their Glock 26/27; of course their pants are boot cut.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yeah, in the post above I wuz being kinda sarcasamistic(new word??). I would say for a ankle stowed weapon it would have to be the lightest weapon possible to keep it from turning/spining on your ankle when walking. Also consider running,jumping,or rubbing/scrapeing,your ankle on something. A small light revo,possibly one of the S&W Sc/Ti models might work. Or a very small BUG's,BUG.I'd be looking for a weapon that was under 15oz.,with a short bbl and grip.

Also something that would be very important would be the holster(quality?) and the fit of the weapon into the holster.

Having said that...... reread my last para. in my above post.(with respect) ---------

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Ankle holsters are not liked by many, but here are a few jobs where they could be very useful.

If you drive alot. It's hard for most to draw quickly from the hip in a car with a seatbelt.

If you sit in an office. While sitting, it is easier for most to get an ankle gun than one off the hip.

Basically, if you sit for a majority of the day, ankle holsters aren't too bad. If you're on your feet most of the day, it's kinda pointless.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Assistant Administrator
    Ankle is about my last choice but still does provide a BUG repository. For me it'd be R9 and nothing bigger or fatter.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Oooo....I forgot to mention a funny (well, it might not have been) story an ex-GF (and sergeant with a local county sheriff's office) told me happened to her: she was in a foot pursuit of some guy when her ankle holster gave up her gun. Her foot made contact with the gun which was kicked in the direction of the bad guy. She managed to retrieve the weapon and the bad guy was none the wiser over what happened....I think she managed to effect the arrest too.

Granted a poorly fitting belt holster can loose a gun too, but this situation was a special kind of not cool.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

OD*
    I always found it comical, Sonny Crockett carrying that heavy ol' Detonics in an ankle rig.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I guess I'll stick to my James T. West mechanical sleeve derringer, my Fembots Booby Guns and my DESPERADO thong revolver!
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

Quote Originally Posted by MTGun
    I guess I'll stick to my James T. West mechanical sleeve derringer, my Fembots Booby Guns and my DESPERADO thong revolver!
    What every ya do dont post pics of the thong revolver on your self... If Its on a Lady thats ok

VIP Member
    I carry my Colt Cobra BUG ankle carry. It's light but still packs a punch.

I participated in a simulated kidnapping scenario where I was snatched up in a bear hug from behind by a really big guy. I couldn't draw my main gun from the waistband because my arms were pinned down. I did, however, manage to draw my Colt and shoot him in the thigh (not for real, of course).
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I really do not care for ankle carry. Having stated this, I will acknowledge that sometimes it is all that will work.
    For those times I will use a Glock 27.

The problem I have with ankle carry is that I always wear cowboy boots. And, without a boot jack, it's quite a battle for me to get a boot off to even get to a handgun on my ankle.
    Wait... even without cowboy boots, I'd have to bend over and that would be interesting if I didn't have a cane to help me back up.
    Seriously - I'd use an airweight J-frame or similar if I needed an ankle gun. The sitting in a car comment from someone earlier does have merit, I think, but I've just never tried it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links