Staying Simple With 1911's - Page 2

Staying Simple With 1911's

This is a discussion on Staying Simple With 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought it was "sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and a weapon that is 100% reliable"? That being said, I like ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying Simple With 1911's

I thought it was "sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and a weapon that is 100% reliable"?

That being said, I like the new breed of 1911 designs, save for a few (two-tones). Each serves a purpose. Keeping an absolutely bone stock is boring IMO. A collector grade 1911 is a different story.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

OD*
    Jeff Cooper's Commentaries
    Vol. 12, No. 3, March 2004

False Winter

On a much more practical level, we noted a profusion of what may be called "1911 clones" manufactured by various sorts of gunmakers in response to the understanding that a properly designed, major caliber service pistol answers an ongoing need. Most of you who read this now own one or more serviceable pistols of this type, so reproduction has little appeal for you. However it is interesting to see how the handgun revolution of the 20th century evolved. In 1920 no one had any use for the "Yankee Fist." Today it is obvious that the need is there. I am often asked which manufacturer I favor, and I have no clear answer to this. Quality control changes from time to time, and I do not have sufficient statistical base for an opinion. We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    http://www.dvc.org.uk/jeff/jeff12_3.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    On my SA GI:

slim checkered wood grips (fit my hand better)
    Flat MSH (points better for me)

Still need an ambi safety ( Im a lefty)
    Gonna get slightly bigger sights ( old eyes)

That should do it.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

OD*
    AK,

Nice, very clean lines.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    One of the great things about today's 1911's are the abundance of choices in 1911's out there and the fact that many come with precisely those things the good Colonel said were necessary in a 1911.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Now that's purty!! I like the flat MSH!

Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

I bought a basic Colt Goverment Model, the O1991, it's been very dependable and I carry it often.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Colt 1991A1 and SA Mil-Spec are all I have in my inventory.

I have yet to acquire the taste for Kimbers.

My little contribution:

Currently waiting on a MaxCon V and grips from Hakan Pek
    Jack

Dear Mr. Maclean3,
    What's that round black thingy to the left of your nice pistol?
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

OD*
    Looks good Jack.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I have 1911's that run from very lightly altered to my perceived needs to some that have had work done only for "looks." With these things it appears that a person can spend about as much as he has...if he wants to.

The ones I tend to carry are those having simple...but essential (for me) features: Reliability, good trigger pull, adequate sights, comfortable to shoot.

One is this lightly altered SA Mil Spec. It has not malfunctioned in over 3500 shots. The factory sights were "on" for me and I have no plans to change them. Some changes were made on internal parts and the hammer is from EMC and has been slightly bobbed and recontoured to avoid hammer bite. The gun uses the standard GI grip safety. I lightly beveled and rounded its sharp edges and the gun is comfortable to shoot for about 200 full-power loads before it starts eatting up my hand a bit. I'm one who needs the wide grip safety and have them on my other 1911 pistols, but I wanted one more similar to the unaltered guns.

This Commander ('70's vintage) has been used since I bought it in the early '80's. It was customized a bit by gunsmith, Lou Williamson. The grip safety is a "drop in" from Pachmayr as I originally had a GI grip safety dished out for the Commander hammer and radically rounded.

This LW Gov't Model from SA was bought from their Custom Shop years ago. It has had an Ed Brown beavertail grip safety added, and I
    liked the STI lightweight trigger and added it later. The gun has had a "half accuracy" job and more visible fixed sights added. My current SA Mil Spec is fitted better than this one, but it shoots into about 3 to 3 1/4" at 25 yards and is plenty accurate enough for 99.99% of my "needs", be they real or imagined.

A gunsmith added the King's Hardballer sights to this Norinco and blued the slide. The other changes were made at home with parts I had in the parts bin. This gun groups better than I expected with the play present in the barrel and has proven itself utterly reliable. It is a carry gun like the Mil-Spec.

Best.

I agree, get a good quality 1911 and just leave the thing alone.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by 40FIVER
    Dear Mr. Maclean3,
    What's that round black thingy to the left of your nice pistol?
    That's a Ross fly reel (Gunnison G1 model) and my custom built cane flyrod (6' 3wt.). It's the pride and joy of my rod collection ... cost me a Beretta 92fs and $300 in cash but it's worth every penny.
    Jack

Stephen:
    In your SA Mil-Spec 3K Update you mentioned replacing the Ti firing pin with a steel one. Did I understand correctly in that these Springfields use 9mm pins? I've replaced the spring but not the pin itself yet - thinking about a Wilson Bulletproof.

Also, I like to ask what you used on the grip safety: Sandpaper, files, stones, etc.? I need to do the same to mine as it's leaving my hand a bloody mess (literally) after a day at the range.
    Thanks!
    Jack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links