Staying Simple With 1911's

This is a discussion on Staying Simple With 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody else here just prefer the "old style" 1911's to what some companies offer nowadays? It may just be myself, but much of the additions ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying Simple With 1911's

Anybody else here just prefer the "old style" 1911's to what some companies offer nowadays? It may just be myself, but much of the additions seem to be just added cost....ambi safety's, forward cocking serrations, what have you. I can understand the Beavertails with some folks who have larger hands. I happen to have pretty small hands, so it's never been an issue for me.

For this reason I went with a stock SA GI 1911. I've always loved John Browning's design and it's long history is its own testament. The only things I have done to this particular pistol, were to install an 18# recoil spring, (I ony shoot 230gr anyway), changed out the grips to a pair of my liking, and have 3-Dot hi vis sights where the low pros used to be. I've had this shooter since late Sept. and love it more each time I shoot it. It handles everything from Gold Dots to CCI Blazer with ease and the only problems I've experienced with it were with Rem. UMC Green Box FMJ's. I just think the gun DOES NOT like these rounds, with FTF and FTE's.

Are there any more out there who just prefer a more "Simple" platform for their daily carry?

Jake

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I really love the standard GI platform, but have a Colt Commander XSE for Carry.

For me i got to have the Ambi safety

The Forward holster shredders they can leave off along with FL-guide rods and rails..

Must admit i like the Novak Night sights on my Springfield though but i could even live with out them... just got to have ambi safety .. Beavertail is a must on some guns to some get me with hammer-bite others don't

The only 'upgrades' I will consider on a 1911 are an extended thumb safety, three-dot sights and a beavertail. Everything else is unnecessary.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Okay, I'll fess up Bud. I REALLY dig the Novak sights and may eventually have some put on my GI.....please don't let it know!!!

Jake

What is it Jeff Cooper said once that the only things the 1911 really needs are sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and maybe a dehorning job? I'dd add the ambidextrous safety for certain people, heck I'm right handed and I think the ambi safety makes a lot of sense for anybody.

VIP Member
    Simple is really nice, but there is something about a nicely done up custom 1911 (especially those by John Jardine).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Before the loading up of MIM and sometimes plastic parts in these platforms I would agree and would take them all day long for carry. So this forces me into the higher dollar custom stuff if going with a 1911 for my taste.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    I don't carry a 1911 but do very much like my old 1927 Colt Sistema - it has a traditional look and feel. Just that durned foresight I hate!!

I rather wish I still had the P12-45 I had but that was a sorta ''special'' case and in a different league really. Overall I do favor the essential grace and simplicity of the good ol Gov't A1.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

OD*
    Euc,

Very close friend

"... We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes." ... Jeff Cooper
    The better one knows the manual of arms for the 1911, the more you'll see the good Colonel was correct, as usual.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

[QUOTE=P95Carry]I don't carry a 1911 but do very much like my old 1927 Colt Sistema - it has a traditional look and feel. Just that durned foresight I hate!!

P95Carry, I have one (1927 Sistema) that I really dig and the only thing I don not like about it is the hammer bite. In stock trim my old girl is very accurate and will feed anything I tried up to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Euc,

Very close friend

The better one knows the manual of arms for the 1911, the more you'll see the good Colonel was correct, as usual.
    +1 to that

Assistant Administrator
    Adrian - funny thing is (famous last words!) I never seem to have suffered hammer bite from my Sistema, BHP - in fact any semi I have yet owned or shot!! Must be something to do with grip and hand web etc.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry my SA G.I. very often. The only thing I did to it was put some paint on the sights. I can see my sights just fine, with the neon paint. Ill probably get it dehorned, when it needs the Parkerised finish redone. Possibly even new sights, I want to shoot a 1911 with larger sights before I make my mind up.
    It came with nice grips, with no cheesy U.S. stamp on it. So, its cosmetically good looking also

U.S. servicemen never needed bells and whistles. I figure, why should I?

mik
    Give me the plain, basic 1911 anytime. Having said that, I'll probably get grief for the fancy bob-tail frame, diferent checkering, and maybe the extended safety and night sights,on my carry gun, but in my hand, and functionally, it's the same as my Colt '43 vintage 1911.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links