1911 bobtail or officers frame?

This is a discussion on 1911 bobtail or officers frame? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering having a Wilson 1911 built for me. If you had your preference would you have a bobtail frame or an officers frame ...

Thread: 1911 bobtail or officers frame?

1911 bobtail or officers frame?

I am considering having a Wilson 1911 built for me. If you had your preference would you have a bobtail frame or an officers frame with a round butt? This would be a concealed carry weapon on a 4" slide. Still debating on the professional or "elite" professional version. I would love to hear any opinions on the "elite" heavy flanged cone match grade barrel. It is said to reduce recoil by 20%!?

2. Remove Ads

bjh: I like the feel of the bobtail in my hand. My next will be a bobtail. My preferences include a lightweight aluminum frame and low thumb safety.
    If you like a heavy pistol, yes, they do help reduce felt recoil. On the other hand, I shoot my lightweight frame pistol as well as my standard weight. That descision is up to you. Mine was based on I wold rather carry less weight as I don't use my pistol much for self defense.
    Recoil difference is pretty minor to me. The heavy barrel at the end, can help stabilize the sights a little too.
    Hope thiat is is helpful.
    Best wishes.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Have two Colts: a Gov't AND an Officer's Model. The OM is all-steel,but still easy to conceal thanks to the shorter grip. You've doing something smart by going with a longer slide(and hopefully a normal recoil-spring set-up)which is the easier part of the weapon to conceal. Don't own a bobtail so will not say yea or nay to it,but an OM-sized grip should work out well. Good Luck !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I love the CCO setup, it's my personal favorite carry configuration. I prefer the traditional barrel bushing design but have owned bull barreled guns in the past and they perform well too. I went with a Nighthawk T3 for my high end semi-custom but if Wilson is your choice, they make great guns as well.

In reality, a Bobtail Commander "should" conceal about as well as an OACP frame so it really comes down to do you want to use Officer's mags or Gov't?
    All of my existing mags were Gov't size (#47Ds) so I had to stock up on Officer's but I'm glad I did.

In my limited experience, the heavy bull barrel didn't have much noticeable affect on handling or ease of dis-assembly so to me it was a non issue other than aesthetics.

Lots of help, ain't I?
    Honestly, either design should conceal equally well and in the 4" slide either should be dead nuts reliable - especially from the Wilson crew. Close your eyes and throw a dart, go "eenie, meenie...", look at price differences and pick whichever one comes up the winner.

Good luck with it, make sure to let us know which one you decide on.
    Jack

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bjh View Post
    I am considering having a Wilson 1911 built for me. If you had your preference would you have a bobtail frame or an officers frame with a round butt? This would be a concealed carry weapon on a 4" slide. Still debating on the professional or "elite" professional version. I would love to hear any opinions on the "elite" heavy flanged cone match grade barrel. It is said to reduce recoil by 20%!?
    We have a bobtailed Wilson Professional with the heavy bbl (non flanged), I don't know about percentages, but the barrel does help reduce muzzle climb.

AZ Husker started a thread regarding bobtailed vs. officer frame here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...alability.html discussion the matter nicely. I like the full frame guns better (and bobtailed) as I get a better grip while the gun is holstered.

Our Wilson is probably the best shooing 1911 I've encountered, even more so than some of my 5" guns. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend buying one.

Almost forgot, gotta add a pic...

A major plus for me is I can comfortably get a full grip with a bobtail, while an Officer's frame leaves my little finger on shaky ground.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links