S&W 317 anyone?

This is a discussion on S&W 317 anyone? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone own this gun? What is your impression? Thanks....

Thread: S&W 317 anyone?

S&W 317 anyone?

Does anyone own this gun? What is your impression?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I don't own one, but we had one as a range rental where I work. It failed after a year of heavy use. It was badly out of time, worst I have ever seen. For casual use, fine. For long term or heavy use, get something more solid.

Smith & Wesson

That is kind of pricey for a gun that won't stand up to use. I have the 3 inch Hi Viz. Althought I do not put 1,000 rounds a week thru it like a range gun might, it does get weekly use. I've had no problems (but that is just me and I can't predict your experience).
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

VIP Member
    I owned the 2" version and sold it. It was supposed to be a good range/practice gun for .22 practice at a lower cost...in contrast to the snubbie I carry. While the fit and finish were fine, the 317 was the most inaccurate revolver I have shot. I do reasonably well with my chiefs special, but the little 317 was just all over the place with rounds. No consistancy at all. So I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Does anyone own this gun? What is your impression?

Thanks.
    I own a 317HiViz with a 3" barrel. It has two personality traits that take it off my favorite's list:

It's too light to shoot accurately and it won't shoot CCI Stingers reliably. To many these wouldn't be a problem, and maybe I'm just being picky.

On the positive side I sometimes carry this gun when I'm out running early in the morning because it's very light when compared to my Model 627.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a 317 but I also have a 617 that's a lot more fun to shoot.
    "To win at warfare you must kill the enemy", Clausewitz

I have one and enjoy it. It's a fun little plinker. My wife really likes it as well. The only real practical use I have for it is as a snake gun when out in the desert.

A word of caution though if you do get one don't use Gun Scrubber on it. I did and it damaged the finish.

Links