Choice between Glocks

This is a discussion on Choice between Glocks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's official, they've created a monster. Ok, so we're adding a third child to the family now. Apparently the Sig and the Beretta need a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choice between Glocks

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Choice between Glocks

It's official, they've created a monster.

Ok, so we're adding a third child to the family now. Apparently the Sig and the Beretta need a new sibling. I'm decided on Glock, for sure, but not sure about which one.

Narrowed it down to G26, G27, G30, or G33.

I've shot ASSA9's 26 and fell in love with it from the first "bang." Definitely a smooth, sweet gun. But it's a 9mm, like my Sig P239 already, so not sure if I should stay w/ the same caliber or go larger. (Not to get into the 9mm vs. .45 debate, just wondering if there's pros and/or cons to staying w/ same caliber or having various ones.)

If any of you have one, two, or all three of the above models, can you please give me a brief rundown? Do you love or hate one more than the others? If so, why? Do the 27 and 30 shoot as nice as the 26? IIRC, there was practically ZERO flip on the G26, which is why I loved it. Wondering if you go larger caliber but stay with a smaller size gun, if you have to compensate and the recoil is worse?

All I have to compare is the Sig P239. I have it in 9mm, and I've shot it in .40 and .357sig. The .40 was fine, I guess. I noticed the .357 was a little flippier, but not by a whole lot, but it still led me to buy it in the 9mm.

Thanks. Off to try out a 27 soon, looking for a rental 30 and 33 to compare as well.

--Bunny
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Meanwhile on the other side of the fence.....
    I'm doing the 19 vs 26 debate

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    All great choices. I'd take (and did) the G33 because you can always get a conversion barrel for .40 and 9mm to have cheap range time with if needed. You can't do the conversion up with the 26. With it, you only have the 9mm. Not to start a caliber debate but I prefer the .357SIG round out of that bunch for carry/SD. I actually bought a 27, never shot it and sold it in a week when a deal on a 33 popped up. I just think it's more versatile and it's native round is better for SD IMO. I already have a PM9 also to cover me for a small 9mm. We're splitting hairs here though so if you like the .40 better, go with the 27. You can still do the 9mm conversion with it but you'll need different mags also. The 27 and 33 mags are interchangeable.

As for the 30, I went with a G29SF. I like the 10mm round and haven't had a hard time finding ammo. It's also a very versatile gun in that I can shoot .357SIG, .40 and 9x25 Dillon out of it if I want. So far, I only have a .40 conversion barrel that I got for it cheap and haven't used yet.

If you do get a baby Glock, get some GAP floorplates for your mags. They will help you get a good, solid grip and not sacrifice the great carry size.

I tried a 26(rented) but bought the 19 (also 9mm), higher capacity (gotta love 15+1) and it also just felt better in my hand. I went our intending to buy a 30 a few months back and came home with a 36- which is also a .45 but is a single stack and very concealable. I like the way they all shoot. The 26 with a pinky extension (what was first suggested to me when I said I didn't like it much) is about the same size as the 19 which has more capacity.

I think the 30 is considered more of a "brick" than even the other glocks, so if you want to carry it you may want to consider that as well.

My brother has a 27 and really likes it.

I think all of them are great guns(I love Glocks!) and you won't go wrong, will come down to what you like best and your purpose for it.

As for the caliber- I wanted to have at least one .45. I find myself carrying the 36 a lot, it is very easy to conceal. In fact I have it on right now. But 9mm is easier to find lately and a lot less expensive to shoot too. My next gun is going to be another 9mm too. I have one in .380 too and it has been a PITA to find ammo and expensive! I paid $80 for 2 50 rnd boxes of blazer. Crazy. So while variety might be nice in some things, I think keeping it simple is nice too. Just another personal preference you will have to decide on.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

The Glock-26 is very nice, but if you want to step it up a bit, the '30' will work,...now you have to just pick up the Glock-36...what a gun!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Get the G27 and buy a couple of drop-in barrels for it. One in .357 Sig and another in 9mm so you can consolidate calibers. The G26 and G33 are not forward-compatible with the larger bore barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Get the G27 and buy a couple of drop-in barrels for it. One in .357 Sig and another in 9mm so you can consolidate calibers. The G26 and G33 are not forward-compatible with the larger bore barrels.
    +1 love my 27!

I had all 40 cal glocks (27, 23, 22) and switched to 9mm (26, 19, 17) when my wife informed me she did not like the recoil of the 40 and found the 9 "acceptable".

All handgun rounds are relatively ineffective in immediate cessation of hostilities. If one accepts that, then ease of shooting (recoil), ammo capacity, handgun reliability and cost of ownership all lead me (and others) to choose the 9mm models.

Between the 26 and 27, I would recommend the 26. I think any 9mm glock is the cats azz. If you are not as concerned about concealability, then the model 19 is about perfect.

If you are choosing the subcompact 30 (45acp) or 33 (357 sig). I am thinking that the 30 has a larger grip than the 33. If you are comfortable with the 30 (45acp) another alternative is the 29 (10mm).

My decision has been the 9mm for reliability, capacity and ease of shooting. I also have a 10mm (model 20) for 4 legged predators.

So, what is your desired end-state for the new glock? Carry piece, home SD, target, range? Start with then end goal in mind and work back from there.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    That is partially correct. You can drop in a 27 barrel into a 33, and vice versa. YOU CANNOT HOWEVER DROP 27 OR 33 BARRELS INTO A 26.

I would go with a 27 or 33 and then you can play around with 9mm barrels, .40 barrels, and .357 barrels.

go for the G26

the G26 is great and it shoots like a dream & makes a great little buddy for the G19.. use the G19 mags in the G26 and always have a mag to grab!!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    If you shot and loved the G26 than it should be an easy decision. Go with the G26 or G27. Can't go wrong either way.
    mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I had the same dilemma when choosing a carry firearm between Glocks. I asked my instructor who is a SWAT officer. He carries a Glock 22 as his service handgun and a Glock 36 as his off duty. For some reason, he prefers this to any other IWB since he has to carry cuffs, mags etc when off duty. Belly Band Holster - The Original Bellyband - Concealment Holsters
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have a Glock 19, 26, and 39. They are all fine guns, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no difference in function, etc on which to make a choice. So, my recommendation is first, decide on which caliber that you want, then decide on the size that works best for you. I can see no other way to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by mlong623 View Post
    Meanwhile on the other side of the fence.....
    I'm doing the 19 vs 26 debate
    You know.....if I would have started my Glock collection with a G19, I'd probably just own two Glocks and be totally happy. A G19, and a G23. Or maybe two of each. Not much more difficult to conceal than the sub-compacts when you consider the higher capacity. The Glock compact lineup is what it's all about in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know.....if I would have started my Glock collection with a G19, I'd probably just own two Glocks and be totally happy. A G19, and a G23. Or maybe two of each. Not much more difficult to conceal than the sub-compacts when you consider the higher capacity. The Glock compact lineup is what it's all about in my opinion.
    agreed, love my G19

-spoz
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."-Thomas Jefferson

G19

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links