Kahr cw series

This is a discussion on Kahr cw series within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I found a nice (I think) carry gun for my wife. A Kahr cw-9 for $409. She has shot a Kahr and likes them ...

Thread: Kahr cw series

VIP Member

Kahr cw series

Ok I found a nice (I think) carry gun for my wife. A Kahr cw-9 for $409. She has shot a Kahr and likes them allot.

Two Questions:

1. Does the quality gap between the CW and PM series make it worth or not worth spending 250 more dollars on the PM? Or is the CW series all we will need? Details please.

2. Is $409 a good price for the CW-9?

Thanks. Oh, and by the way I did a search and couldn't find a good thread so if you have one post a link to it please.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    if you can buy the p9 but if you really want something small then the pm is the only way to go
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

VIP Member
    Looks like a good price, I paid $399 for mine almost 2 years ago. The only difference between the two is the sights aren't easily changed on the CW and it's barrel has regular rifling instead of the polygonal rifling. I've been very happy with mine.

The CW is 0.6" longer and 0.5" taller than the PM, but the CW holds 1 more round.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The P and PM series have different rifling in the barrel, polygonal, and more attention to detail. With the CW series, etching on the slide and what not are less detailed and I think some of the metal parts are machined and made diferently maybe even MIM which is cheaper. IIRC, they only ship with one mag too. The CW is essentially a "value series" Kahr. Perfectly fine operating gun, just very no frills and a little different than the P or K series.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

perfectly fine gun I owned one for a little while and enjoyed it...I liked the standard rifleing as I could shoot my reloads in it for practice..

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ok I found a nice (I think) carry gun for my wife. A Kahr cw-9 for $409. She has shot a Kahr and likes them allot.

Two Questions:

1. Does the quality gap between the CW and PM series make it worth or not worth spending 250 more dollars on the PM? Or is the CW series all we will need? Details please.
    If you want night sights you'll have to get the P9 or PM9, whichever one you are after. The CW and the P9 are comparable, whereas the PM is a smaller gun both in barrel and grip size. The CW9 can't be fitted with them easily. If night sights aren't an issue then the CW9 is a fine value.
    2. Is $409 a good price for the CW-9?
    Yes, not great, but good. If I wanted one, I'd pay it.

Thanks. Oh, and by the way I did a search and couldn't find a good thread so if you have one post a link to it please.

I'm not sure what you mean by this staement...there are pages of threads on the Kahr CW9.

A few personal comments;
    * My wife has trouble racking the slides on my Kahrs, has your wife tried them?
    * If you end up buying a Kahr, I recommend the Hogue Handall sleeve for an improved grip.
    * My two polymer Kahrs have not been as reliable as my steel Kahrs...I like the polymers, but they have been problematic, with both feed and light strike issues.

Here's the comparison CW to P chart from Kahr.

Something else to think about is the CW9 only comes with one magazine. Make sure to get a spare mag or 2 and maybe some grip extensions. I love mine and would not let the one magazine deter you. The price is great and like TX-JB said I paid $390.00 for mine over 2 years ago as well.

I've had my CW9 for two years. It's the gun I carry when I want something really easy to conceal. I carry it in a Don Hume IWB and the gun just disappears. Paid $400 two years ago. I don't have the PM but I personally would not put $650 into any Kahr. I do like my CW9. It has lots of rounds downrange with zero failures. I shoot some lead reloads so polygonal barrels are a no no around here. I purchased an eight round magazine from Kahr shortly after I bought the gun and it cost $44. Not a cheap mag but I know it's going to work everytime.

FWIW I wouldn't let the metal injection molded (MIM) slide stop be a deal killer. I've never heard of one breaking. It's just less expensive to mold it than to machine it.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by this staement...there are pages of threads on the Kahr CW9.
    What I meant was that I too found pages of Kahr threads but none addressing my exact questions.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The P and PM series have different rifling in the barrel, polygonal, and more attention to detail. With the CW series, etching on the slide and what not are less detailed and I think some of the metal parts are machined and made diferently maybe even MIM which is cheaper. IIRC, they only ship with one mag too. The CW is essentially a "value series" Kahr. Perfectly fine operating gun, just very no frills and a little different than the P or K series.
    As stated above other than the polygonal barrel and fixed sights the differences are mostly cosmetic. The only MIM part is the slide stop. There is no quality gap, build quality is the same. The CW series guns are a great handgun for the money.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

The CW9 and CW40 look like a bargain to me @ $400.

I have a Covert P40 and a PM40 and love them.

Unless your wife is a very experienced shooter, I think the CW9
    would be a better gun for her with the slightly longer grip frame.
    It's still very compact.

I guess what I'm saying is that not only is the CW9 less expensive,
    but it's probably a better gun for your named purpose. It's still
    a high quality pistol.

I have one and love it. Shoots good, and shoots anything I load in it. It would be a easier gun for a woman to shoot because of the full grip...all finger on grip IMO. My wife loves it. shoots very good for a small pistol. I wish I had a pm9 simply because of pocket carry option. But the CW9 carry's fine in any IWB and disappears easily.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctype View Post
    Something else to think about is the CW9 only comes with one magazine. Make sure to get a spare mag or 2 and maybe some grip extensions. I love mine and would not let the one magazine deter you. The price is great and like TX-JB said I paid $390.00 for mine over 2 years ago as well.
    I ordered (2) 8 round mags from Cheaper Than Dirt, to keep round count the same. The gun is 7+1, so when shot to slidelock, a new mag gets you back to 8 rounds.

I got the CW9 because I wanted to try a Kahr, but didn't want to sink $650+ on one, only to decide I didn't like it. It has become one of my favorite summer carry guns. It's not much larger than a 642.

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Good responses. A couple of additional notes:

1. Be very careful when buying a used Kahr. There were some QA issues with early versions. This forum on Glocktalk.com has a lot of good info, along with detailed serial number info. Ask the seller for the serial number and check it out *before* you commit.

2. Stick with Kahr mags. Lots of reports of poor feeds with off-brand mags.

3. I have both the CW9 and the PM9. To tell you the truth, there's very little difference as far as quality and performance are concerned. Purists will harp on the MIM parts, stamped vs rolled slide, etc., but in the end, both are of the same quality. Save you money and buy a couple of extra mags.

4. The slide is *very* stiff, given the light mass of the slide. Make sure whoever is going to use it can pull the slide back *and* lock it with the slide lock.

In terms of concealability, I don't know of a 9mm that's more concealable.
    Last edited by brianko; July 1st, 2009 at 02:25 AM. Reason: minor typo
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

Had the CW9

I got my CW9 early last year for 389.00 and was generally pleased with it. Accuracy varied greatly with ammo type ande I also had problems with after market magazines. Being a very light gun, it had more felt recoil than my 1911's.
    I sold it mostly because I wanted to standardize on a single platform (1911) and single caliber (.45).

Links