Kel-Tec P-11 vs. P-9

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec P-11 vs. P-9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at the Kel-tec line of small 9mm's for a carry gun. I like the idea of having a small lightweight weapon with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec P-11 vs. P-9

Smile Kel-Tec P-11 vs. P-9

I am looking at the Kel-tec line of small 9mm's for a carry gun. I like the idea of having a small lightweight weapon with adequate firepower. My budget is tight, otherwise I would possibly be looking at higher priced options. Any comments from those who have experience with these guns or can suggest another option would be appreciated.

Have a Blessed Day!
    Last edited by JohnWFD; July 1st, 2009 at 04:49 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I love my PF-9. Very accuate and controlable, very good trigger, and it certainly is easy to carry and conceal. For me, nobody, not Kahr, not Rohrbaugh, makes a super-compact 9mm better suited to my purpose.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I own a PF9
    the PF9 is thinner than P11 because it has single column magazine
    PF9 has better trigger than P11 (lighter & shorter pull than P11)
    the P11 holds more ammo than PF9
    I prefer the PF9

I have both and like them both. The PF9 makes a good front pocket gun in shorts or primary strong side under a t-shirt. The P11 give you 12+1 rounds and can take S&W 59 or 69xx mags. Both I trust with any 115 or 124 grain bullets but the longer 147 squared nose can get caught on the feed ramp so I don't use them.

Note: I have the PF9 in one of my Rough Out pocket holster in shorts right now.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have a P11 with over 1000 rounds through it with not one problem. I like the P11 due to it's beefer grip over the PF9. The trigger of the P11 is a non-issue for me, I'm used to it. See which one feels better to you.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Can't speak for the P9 but I just got a P11 last week. I've put 110 rounds through it & haven't had a single problem. I really like it.

I think I am leaning towards the P-11, although people keep talking about the trigger pull.... Is it that much of a difference?

I have both and shoot the PF9 much better due to trigger. It's small enough I can pocket carry or IWB under T shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    I think I am leaning towards the P-11, although people keep talking about the trigger pull.... Is it that much of a difference?
    First off when SHTF you won't notice the trigger pull. This is what I've read from people that have been there...I haven't and hopefully won't but for what it's worth that's what they say.

I have both pf-9 and p-11. I choose the p-11 because I like the capacity. 13 round capacity in a flush fitting mag. Plus it fits my hand better. I pocket carry mine. Some will say it's too big or too heavy for pocket but it doesn't bother me at all. The trigger pull is about 8#. Neither one is a range gun. They are made to carry ALOT and shoot A-Little. The pf-9 is a great weapon don't get me wrong. I love kel-tecs period, best buy for the money out there. I have a p3at also. Like someone said go find a range and shoot them. See which one fits and feels better. You will get used to the trigger on what ever you decide on.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

Sound advise, I like your philosophy, I now carry a beretta 25 auto, a nice gun but vastly inferior when it comes to using it for what it was intended for. I have a fairly large hand and plan on getting one of those smartcarry holsters, so having the extra shot capacity would be worth the slightly extra weight and width.
    I appreciate all the advise and info!

Hey, I have nothing to say but good things about KelTec. I have a P-11 with about 500 rounds through, and not one hang-up, or mis-feed, etc. It goes bang every time. I do like the double stack, and cap. of the P-11, but at that there is a bit of weight. The PF-9 is a bit lighter being a single stack. It's a trade that I'm cool with though. The trigger is "firm" with a decent pull to get you there, but a little time on the pistol, and it frees up a little. Also getting a double tap off the trigger isn't bad either. All in all it's a great pistol. In contrast though, I also have a P-32, and this is a great pistol alike. The trigger is lighter, and holds fewer and smaller rounds, but works equally as well. All in all for the money I think VERY highly of KelTec.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I have carried a P-11 most of the time for a couple of years now, although I switch back and forth with my Para P-12. I like the P-11, despite the trigger pull. Very dependable. I also like the 10+1 capacity. You can get a mag that gives you 12+1, but standard is 10+1. More than adequate for its purpose, and there's no way its going to discharge accidentally.

I have a P11,I shoot everything from 115 grn LRN reloads to federal 124 grn HST,the gun has never jammed in over 1000 rounds,I only shoot about a box of ammo when I do shoot it since It's a SD gun not a range gun and after about 4 mags I can feel it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

True, I'll do about a hundred rounds at a go at most.. I understand what you mean.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Exclamation +1 for the PF-9

I own two Kel Tec products...a P32 and the PF-9...and would recommend both as reliable.

I bought the pocket clips for both and also have a Laser Lyte FSL v1 attached to the PF-9.

Great carry pieces !!
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links