.45 Matchup Springfield XD Vs. 1911

This is a discussion on .45 Matchup Springfield XD Vs. 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Euclidean Yeah SA has pissed me off with their little boondoggle on the magazines. Four times now they've said they're getting them ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .45 Matchup Springfield XD Vs. 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Yeah SA has pissed me off with their little boondoggle on the magazines. Four times now they've said they're getting them out there and four times they've lied.

That XD Gear idea is ill conceived. The stuff it comes with, it's just not really suitable for much. If you want to compete you need some good Bladetech gear that's IDPA approved not that stuff, and it's certainly suboptimal for street carry. Get a real holster from a real holster shop for that.

But the gun itself is worth it though... one day they'll get the mags out and life will be good. I like mine, I am thinking I will get a second one once they get it where I can actually buy magazines for it. I like my XD40 very much but standardizing is just too tempting.
    Seems the "XD gear" would be the perfect vehicle to build vendor relations. All they'd have to do is include a "Loaded" coupon for XX dollars toward a customer's next order at: Blade Tech, Comp-Tac, SideArmor, "We-B-Kydex" or whomever they can work a deal with. That way the customer gets quality gear of their choosing, the kydex company gets more orders AND free marketing through SA and Springfield gets happy customers, better vendor relations and a reputation for quality product support.

So which model are you looking at for the second, 4" or the new 5"?
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

I have had my 45xd for 2 months now, Excellent weapon, no hiccups
    at all. just my 2cents.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Seems the "XD gear" would be the perfect vehicle to build vendor relations. All they'd have to do is include a "Loaded" coupon for XX dollars toward a customer's next order at: Blade Tech, Comp-Tac, SideArmor, "We-B-Kydex" or whomever they can work a deal with. That way the customer gets quality gear of their choosing, the kydex company gets more orders AND free marketing through SA and Springfield gets happy customers, better vendor relations and a reputation for quality product support.

So which model are you looking at for the second, 4" or the new 5"?
    Jack
    If I did it, I'd get another 4" just because it would fit in all my holsters.

I too am looking at the XD45, but in 5 inch. I read the article in the July issue of American Rifleman and it appears the 5 inch XDS has a slight accuracy advantage due to its longer sight radius. Since some modifications have been made to the XD to accept the 45 ACP cartridge, I am still waiting for some long term reports on it.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Looking at one for CCW....
    If they only made an 8 Rd Sub version, now that would be nice...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

with all i've read i still can't figure out if its a DA or DA/SA trigger on the XD's.
    only comments i've seen are "the trigger pull is a constant throughout the magazine".
    sounds DA to me but...
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I could be wrong here but "consistent pull throughout" seems to me like a lightened DAO trigger as in Glock, H&K LEM, etc.

Gotta admit, it'd be a nice to have a full size .45 with a lightrail at times. The Mossberg is a bit unwieldy in it's current hunting config (28" or 29" bbl) and if you add a handheld light, well ....
    Jack

I have owned my XD45 (45 ACP) for about two months now and I can attest that it is an excellent carry gun. I have put about 2K rounds through it now without any problem whatsoever. It has been exceptionally reliable.

Accuracy is, for me, problematic! I am 69 and have "aging eyes" so shooting small, tight groups is just not part of my personal agenda.

However, I can put 14 rounds into a 9" picnic plate at 25 yards offhand (two hands) with nary a problem. For me, that is accuracy enough.

I have a bunch of 1911's and I love them all dearly. Even though this is a true double stacker the grip, because of its extra length, is not inordinately larger around than that of the 1911. Certainly not like the grip of a Glock 21 anyway.

It has been a fun, accurate, reliable piece that is easy to shoot and I certainly recommend it without reservation.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    with all i've read i still can't figure out if its a DA or DA/SA trigger on the XD's.
    only comments i've seen are "the trigger pull is a constant throughout the magazine".
    sounds DA to me but...
    Potatoe Pohtaato... Sa...DA..DA/SA ...

The XDcan only be 'cocked' using the slide. If the slide has not been cycled, will not, cannot fire. Once slide is cycled, the grip safety must be depressed and there is an interlock on the trigger like a Glock. That si why the trigger pull is consistent throughout the magazine. I have carried mine daily for 6 months, cocked and ready to go.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

I must admit I am a 1911 guy.....but when I walked into my gunstore today and finally got to handle the XD-45.....well lets just say I now am a member of the XD club. Oh it will never replace my Wilson's but as a knock around, truck carry and house protection gun....it is the perfect platform I was looking for. $475.00 with all the extra stuff really impressed me even if it is less that great. I let ya know when I can burn some rounds through it, if my money was wasted or well spent. I got the 4" all black version.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I've had my XD45 for a month now and only put about 800 rounds through it. As far as DA/SA I see where you are coming from. The trigger is a little heavy out of the box and has a long pull so it almost feels like DA, but it is SA. I had my local gunsmith take it from the 7lbs out of the box ,down to 5lbs which seems to really help the feel. The line of sight is very natual and overall operation is extremely smooth. This is the first polymer frame gun I own, and you will notice it during extended carry. The gun is a great gun at a great price. I picked mine up for $469. I didn't have trouble finding extra clips, but maybe just got lucky. Bottom line is you have to go with what feels and shoots better for you. If at all possible find someone who owns each kind and go to the range. Whatever you do, they are both good solid models. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

In operation it's a single action pistol.

The trigger however is an XD trigger. The trigger on none of my XDs has ever bothered me. Yeah it's weird but you get used to it. It's not like it's stiff or too heavy to control.

I was actually considering getting one XD worked on just to see what difference it would make, but then they had to launch this great new gun...

I may send an XD45ACP off for a Canyon Creek job.

I just got my XD45 and think it is great. It is fairly easy to conceal and is light compared to the 1911. It is an accurate weapon shooting better than all of my Glocks. I really like having 14 rounds of 45ACP ready to go.

The only complaint that I have is the trigger. It is a very long pull with a lot of overtravel and a long reset. After talking with the custom shop at Springfield and they will reduce the overtravel and reset and install a 4lb trigger for carry. I sent it off yesterday so we will see what they do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Down0
    I just got my XD45 and think it is great. It is fairly easy to conceal and is light compared to the 1911. It is an accurate weapon shooting better than all of my Glocks. I really like having 14 rounds of 45ACP ready to go.

The only complaint that I have is the trigger. It is a very long pull with a lot of overtravel and a long reset. After talking with the custom shop at Springfield and they will reduce the overtravel and reset and install a 4lb trigger for carry. I sent it off yesterday so we will see what they do with it.
    Welcome to the Forum. Please be sure to post a report when you get your XD back, I'm curious how much the trigger job will change your impressions of it. I'm still toying with the idea of picking one up at some point - especially considering the price they're going for.
    Jack

VIP Member
    The XD series are nice guns...they fit my hand well; I may consider getting one of these sometime down the road. I would be a very happy camper if these were ever chambered in 10mm....not likely though.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links