.45 Matchup Springfield XD Vs. 1911

This is a discussion on .45 Matchup Springfield XD Vs. 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to purchase a a new house/range gun in .45ACP. Does anybody own one of the new Springfield XD .45ACP? The reviews look ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .45 Matchup Springfield XD Vs. 1911

.45 Matchup Springfield XD Vs. 1911

I am looking to purchase a a new house/range gun in .45ACP. Does anybody own one of the new Springfield XD .45ACP? The reviews look great and I read the guns and ammo article this month. I formerly owned a para 1911 and enjoyed the accuracy and feel of the gun (I traded it due to a safety malfunction that left me anti-para).

I love the power of the .45ACP cartridge and need the proper vehicle to harness it. I only have room in the budget for 1 new gun (about $700). 1911 or XD?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.shtml
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    We already have a couple of XD-45 owners here, maybe more now - and I hear good things. Capacity is awesome but of course you need to like the more chunky feel of a double stacker.

Hang on for owner's comments.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris,

I know your a sig guy...what are your feelings on their .45's? I've never owned or shot a sig.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Lead Moderator
    I think it depends on what will work for you. Both are good guns. the XD has the round count advantage, bu the 1911 is slimmer to conceal. It all comes down to what feels right/ can you shoot the best.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The Sig 220 SAS is a sweet piece. That said the XD-45 is a hard one to not look at as a true all round gun.

Really comes down to what you are looking to do with it. A 1911, well it's a 1911. Great guns, great for shooting, etc.

I am on a mission to pick up an XD-45 ASAP!

If you get the XD you will have a couple hundred left over or close to it for ammo.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; March 21st, 2006 at 12:17 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    +1 to Rocky....whatever fits your hand, shooting style and needs.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The XD is an impressive pistol. I still prefer the 1911, but an XD45 will make it's way to my stable in the near future. I suggest you buy whichever you can afford and fits your hand best.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Theres a couple owners of Xd45's on board here do a search it has been talked about a ton lately

The 700$ budget leans towards a xd .. The Springfield loaded models i buy run right around 8-850$ .. So that kills your budget and buying any ammo

As for the 1911 i have 5-6 of them mostly springers i have one xd and its all right no exp with there 45 yet so ill leave it to other to talk to you about it

I have a Kimber 1911, my best friend has a .45 XD. I've fired both but my 1911 "just feels right", for me anyway.

Whatever feels right to you would be my opinion.

XD9
    I carry the XD45 now. I really like it. I have also shot several 1911's and they are great guns. The geometry of both is very similar. My local gun shop let me shoot the XD45 before I bought it so I could make an informed decision. They also had 1911's for use on the range if I wanted to. I would suggest your own "taste test" and see what feels right for you.

If you want a good bang for the buck, the XD is a strong contender. Just for reference, $469.99 was the price for mine. That would leave you with $$ left over for bullets and range time.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Yep, we've got Euc, Gelicious and now XD9 as XD45 owners. The only negative I've read any of them say about the guns is the current lack of extra mags on the market - well, that and the kydex "gear" that comes with them is poor quality.

One of these days I'll probably get one myself.
    Jack

I'm a big fan of the 1911; as others have noted, the overall design just "feels right" to me. However, the XD-45 is pretty compelling package - I would love to have one with a rail and light as a nightstand piece. The only reason I would not CCW the XD is the size of the pistol vs. my Kahr or even full size 1911.

If I had to choose between the 1911 and the XD at the price point of the XD, I would buy the XD-45 and not look back. Since your budget is a little higher, try to find a shop with a range that will let you "test drive" both pistols and see which one works for you. Good luck!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Man I own both an XD and a 1911-A1. Im in love with them both so I cant really give an opinion. As far as concealment I carry my XD 40 SB but as far as joy of shooting and accuracy I would have to go with my 1911. Both are great choices.
    CCW is not only a right its a responsability.

Joe

XD45ACP is my house gun. I sold all my 1911's.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Yep, we've got Euc, Gelicious and now XD9 as XD45 owners. The only negative I've read any of them say about the guns is the current lack of extra mags on the market - well, that and the kydex "gear" that comes with them is poor quality.

One of these days I'll probably get one myself.
    Jack
    Yeah SA has pissed me off with their little boondoggle on the magazines. Four times now they've said they're getting them out there and four times they've lied.

That XD Gear idea is ill conceived. The stuff it comes with, it's just not really suitable for much. If you want to compete you need some good Bladetech gear that's IDPA approved not that stuff, and it's certainly suboptimal for street carry. Get a real holster from a real holster shop for that.

But the gun itself is worth it though... one day they'll get the mags out and life will be good. I like mine, I am thinking I will get a second one once they get it where I can actually buy magazines for it. I like my XD40 very much but standardizing is just too tempting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links