Short List

Short List

This is a discussion on Short List within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's about time to purchase my first pistol. I've debated between .40 S&W and .45 ACP for home defense use, and have settled on the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short List

Short List

It's about time to purchase my first pistol. I've debated between .40 S&W and .45 ACP for home defense use, and have settled on the .45 ACP. No concealed carry here in Illinois, so that will not be a consideration for this purchase. I do want something with a light rail and have narrowed my choices down to the following,

Sig p220
    Glock 21
    Kimber Tactical Entry II
    Springfield XD 4" service model

Am I on the right track for high quality, high reliability, and ease of use? I mention ease of use because my wife will have to be able to handle which ever pistol we decide to buy. Let me know if I'm on the right track... Thanks.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    The Glock and the XD are very simple to use, and they are both accurate ans reliable pistols ( I own 2 XDs and a Glock 19). Every pistol on your list are high quality and you can't go wrong with either one you purchase.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Of your choices, I'd go with the Sig P220 but with the guns you've narrowed down, you're going to get 4 different guns in 4 responses. You can't go wrong with any of them, honestly.
    "I play for keeps."

I'm kind of figuring that when we actually "go shopping" it is going to come down to the gun that feels the most "right" in (hopefully) both our hands. Or at least a good compromise for both of us. Comfort, I think will lead to greater success if either of us ever face a stressful situation.

Going and putting your hands on them is a great idea. If possible, do it at a place that rents as many on your list as possible, so you could both shoot them.
    Quote Originally Posted by moparoutlaw View Post
    Comfort, I think will lead to greater success if either of us ever face a stressful situation.
    Your comfort will come from confidence in you and the gun.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

I'd be split between the Glock and the Kimber...you have to go 'play' with each of them and see which one starts 'calling' your name.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Please don't be offended and I don't want to sound presumptious but if you haven't shot many .40 or .45 rounds you may want to find a way; you and your wife. Both are good rounds but I've found that I can shoot a 9 a LOT better than .40 due to the "snappy" nature of the recoil and the .45 I can shoot okay but it took more practice because it's still a bit of a thump. All of your choices are great picks.

I think it's great that you're both in on this together! Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by JHoff View Post
    Of your choices, I'd go with the Sig P220 but with the guns you've narrowed down, you're going to get 4 different guns in 4 responses. You can't go wrong with any of them, honestly.
    Same here. I actually favor the P220 (mine is a SAO model) over the previous 1911 models I've had, and it works a lot better for me than the Glocks I've had in 45acp. Probably just my thinking, but if anything on your list would be a home base pistol, that's what I'd have to go with. I've been nothing but impressed with my first (and maybe only) SIG pistol, and it happens to be 45acp.

The 220 is an excellent weapon, but for your intended use and capacity and accuracy, the G21 is the one you should go with.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I would stay away from Kimbers I have had 2 of them and they both had issues. No more Kimbers for me.

--Adam

I love my XD 45 Compact...carry it everyday!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam500 View Post
    I would stay away from Kimbers I have had 2 of them and they both had issues. No more Kimbers for me.

--Adam
    Same here, I am an anti Kimber guy. I think your other choices are good though, a 1911 is going to be a little more involved as far as a first gun. Like others have said, go fondle all of them and the decision will become more clear to you and your wife I think. The way they feel in hand does make a big difference as far as comfort and just the size of the weapon compared to your hand. And if possible rent and shoot them if you can.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

I would say the G 21 for ease of uses & it is accurate JMO
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Is there a way to get your hands on all 4 and try each before you buy, just to see which one feels best in your hands, which makes you the most comfortable? If you can't shoot it comfortable, reliably, and accurately every time, it's just going to be an expensive paperweight. And if you buy one and then decode you don't like it (too snappy, don't like the hand feel, etc) then you're not going to want to carry it. Does your local FFL have a "try before you buy" program, or are there public ranges nearby that will rent them to you first?

Just a thought.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Im going to go with the glock or kimber. Go to a shop that rents pistols and shoot all them if you can. The guns may make the decision for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links