Defensive Carry banner

Wilson Combat

11K views 42 replies 37 participants last post by  jonconsiglio 
#1 ·
Hi,

Anyone have one of these? I always here about other 1911's but never much talk about Wilson's. I have always heard they were fantastic guns, but I have never owned one.

I was thinking of getting a 1911 next, but frankly have been less then thrilled with many reports of faulty kimbers. The first 45 I ever shot was my grandfathers Springfield and I have some fond memories.

So my short list is (not in order)

1. Wilson Combat
2. Springfield
3. Colt
4. open to opinions

#2 ·
I don't have a Wilson simply because I won't pay the price. But they are fantastic guns as I have a few friends that have them. I have owned several Kimbers and got rid of all but one. The best bang for the buck in 1911 guns is Dan Wesson which is now owned by CZ. For around $1000 they can't be beat. They are excellent in every aspect. I have a Commander Bobtail Classic which is my favorite. I have shot my 1911's including Colt, Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Springfield Custom Shop, and a few race guns. They were all nice but not worth the extra bucks.

#3 ·
Wilsons tend to get a bit pricey, IMO. I'm a 1911 guy, it's my favorite pistol platform ever, but I do wonder how much more stuff you can get with all the extra money for semi-custom and custom 1911's. Don't get me wrong, I have two GI models (a Springfield and an Auto Ordinance), and the difference between them even is significant, and a Springfield 1911a1 Loaded model, which you can really tell the difference in almost every aspect from the GI's.

But I do wonder what paying twice the price of my loaded model will get me, as that one already looks great, functions flawlessly, and is more accurate than I am by far (and more accurate than either of the GI's). Maybe one of the more experienced 1911 gurus on here can tell me what I'm missing out on, but I don't see how it can get too much better, and it still justify the price IMO.

Of course, it also depends on the features you want in your pistol as well.

#4 ·
I love my Kimbers, and I've had no problems with them. That said, I buy a Wilson, or an Ed Brown in a heartbeat...if the boss would let me.
These large purchases take time to 'negotiate'.:rolleyes:

#6 ·
You don't hear about Wilson's because they can cost over $3K. Kind of the same way you see a lot less Aston Martin Vigor's compared to Honda Civics. :yup:

#8 ·
If I was going to spend the money that a Wilson cost, it would be for a Wison.

I have heard and seen nothing but good in regards to their pistols. With that said, IMO the best value for the money is the lesser priced Springfields, TRP on down. If I was going to spend north of $2,000 on a 1911 it would be for a Wilson.

That's just my opinion. Fow what it's worth I was going to get a Wilson until I decided to get a High Power. With the Money I saved I was also able to buy a shotgun and AR.

Biker

#11 ·
There are some things that really do demonstrate the adage "you get what you pay for".......Wilsons are one of them.

A CQB Compact is on my short list right now......although, I wouldn't turn down an Ed Brown if it walked through the door either. :image035:

#12 ·
In that price range I would go for an Ed Brown. I know a few people with Wilsons and they love them but they can be particular about ammo.

I have Kimbers that work great but they did not work great out of the box.

I would start with the new Para Expert or Springfield G.I. for under $600 and have a good and reliable gunsmith "tart" it up to my personal likes.

#13 ·
If I could afford a Wilson Combat then I would own a Wilson Combat. Everything that I have heard about them is good and the few times that I've been able to shoot one at the range from shooting buddies it has been flawless. On two different occasions in talking with off duty LEO's about pistols, they both told me that their off duty sidearm is a Wilson Combat.

#15 ·
I once saw a video of a Wilson pistol being built from the ground up. If you saw the effort and workmanship that goes into these guns you'd understand the price. Every part is literally hand fitted with incredible attention to detail. If I had the spare cash I would gladly purchase one.
On the other hand, I have owned pistols made by Colt, Kimber, Para-Ordnance, Llama and Springfield. All functioned well and were accurate enough for self defense. As far as quality I would rate them: Kimber, Para-Ordnance, Springfield, Colt and Llama. Colts aren't what they were 20 or 30 years ago.

#16 ·
If you have 2500K to plunk down on a 1911 go for it. If you want a reliable 1911 that's good to go outta the box after break in buy the Springer Mil-Spec. It's a fantastic 1911 and has everything you need for a great SD weapon. Great thing is YOU can modify it down the road as you see fit for YOUR tastes. The only mod I'd make to it quickly is installing a Wilson drop-in beavertail.

Like Biker said with the money saved you have lot's of cash left over for accessories for the Springer and another gun or 2.

I too don't trust Kimbers. They look real pretty but I've never seen one brand of 1911's malfunction (after breakin) like they have so many times before my very eyes. Their CS is very iffy also.

Here's one for a great price:
Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

JMO

#17 ·
I have three Wilsons and they are extreme top of the line 1911's, well worth their price. A CQB, CQB Compact and my favorite and main carry weapon...a stainless Professional.

#19 ·
Wilson Combat...

I am a Master Dealer with Wilson Combat. Their pistols are simply fabulous! They run right out of the box...no suggested break-in period & WC will stand behind them for the life of the gun. That service follows the gun...if you sell it, they'll still take care of it. The guns are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

One post above mentions "being particular about ammo". I've found just the opposite to be true. I've shot several of my own plus others that belong to friends & customers. I haven't found any factory ammo they wouldn't eat. Good reloads work perfectly as well.

Gglockster mentions off duty LEO's using them as their sidearm. I've sold LOTS of them to LEO (I offer a generous discount to them) & have had many of them make the comment that they wish their department would like them carry them while on duty.

If anyone has any specific questions about Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom products, feel free to contact me via PM or my website.

#20 ·
Can I justify paying the price for a Wilson no. Do I still want one YES! Every rational fiber of my body says I have no business owning a Wilson combat handgun. Yet I have started saving and even started selling off a couple othe handguns I just don't use that much anymore to purchase either a Wilson CQB or CQB elite. Everything you hear about saving a few hundrad dollars and going to use another high end 1911 may or not be true. What you hear about ABC other gun being just as good for alot less may be true. However I know for me I have recently made myself I personnal promise to start saving in earnest and I will not buy another gun no matter how good a deal until I can add a CQB Elite or CQB to my inventory. New or used doesn't matter too much to me. I just told myself no green guns. I'd love to hold out for exactly what I want but have a feeling as I get closer I may start being swayed by the Wilson at a good price in inventory that is pretty close to what I want.

#21 ·
I have three Wilson Supergrades and I would never consider trading or selling them. Two are the normal .45acp (1 full size, 1 compact) and the other is a full size model chambered for 9mm. The 9mm has to be my favorite all time handgun. They all run absolutely flawless and look pretty sharp too.

Pricey? Yup, they sure are but I do believe you get what you pay for.

I've had other 1911s (still own a Kimber) but these are the best I've ever had the opportunity to use.

#24 ·
I have to believe that part of what you are paying for is the name. I mean a 1911 can only be so special, right? If I had the money and felt ok about spending that much on one pistol, then I'd buy one. Wilson Combats aren't for people on budgets like mine though. If you have lots of money, then why even think about it, just buy one...you know?

#25 ·
I have 2 Wilson 1911's, a CQB and a CQB LT along with Les Baer's and Colt's. The Wilson's work everytime. Tight but not too tight. Finished nice but not too nice so you will not use them. I have and will continue to trust them with my life. NO FURTHER SMITHING REQUIRED!

#26 ·
Thats exactly why I like mine! It is a great working gun that is super reliable and accurate. I am not made of money by any means but it was worth every penny I saved up to buy one! It was well worth the pricetag, I did trade a Kimber in on it also, which was a horrible gun for me. Get one, you won't regret it!

#27 ·
Of all the 1911s we've owned and those we've fired, our Wilson has performed the best with what we've done to it, however the Wilson has seen more rounds than most of our other 1911s with the exception of my Baer, those two are running about neck and neck round count wise.

It's not just "The Name", but it's what comes with the name, and that is a damn fine product.

#28 ·
Of all the 1911s we've owned and those we've fired, our Wilson has performed the best with what we've done to it, however the Wilson has seen more rounds than most of our other 1911s with the exception of my Baer, those two are running about neck and neck round count wise.

It's not just "The Name", but what comes with the name, and that is a damn fine product.
What he said!

Yes, we've owned and shot a lot of 1911s. I've put my Wilson through a lot and have been very impressed with how it has preformed.

Just the other day I did a mock IPSC shoot with my husband's Baer and my Wilson. At the end he asked me which I liked better. I admitted that the Wilson felt less clunky in my hands and I felt like I had better control over it. Granted I have shot more with my Wilson than with my husband's Baer and while we haven't tested them equally as far as performance and accuracy is concerned... in my lay opinion, my Wilson is a darned fine firearm and I'm perfectly happy to have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.