Wilson Combat

This is a discussion on Wilson Combat within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Anyone have one of these? I always here about other 1911's but never much talk about Wilson's. I have always heard they were fantastic ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat

VIP Member

Wilson Combat

Hi,

Anyone have one of these? I always here about other 1911's but never much talk about Wilson's. I have always heard they were fantastic guns, but I have never owned one.

I was thinking of getting a 1911 next, but frankly have been less then thrilled with many reports of faulty kimbers. The first 45 I ever shot was my grandfathers Springfield and I have some fond memories.

So my short list is (not in order)

1. Wilson Combat
    2. Springfield
    3. Colt
    4. open to opinions
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

I don't have a Wilson simply because I won't pay the price. But they are fantastic guns as I have a few friends that have them. I have owned several Kimbers and got rid of all but one. The best bang for the buck in 1911 guns is Dan Wesson which is now owned by CZ. For around $1000 they can't be beat. They are excellent in every aspect. I have a Commander Bobtail Classic which is my favorite. I have shot my 1911's including Colt, Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Springfield Custom Shop, and a few race guns. They were all nice but not worth the extra bucks.

Wilsons tend to get a bit pricey, IMO. I'm a 1911 guy, it's my favorite pistol platform ever, but I do wonder how much more stuff you can get with all the extra money for semi-custom and custom 1911's. Don't get me wrong, I have two GI models (a Springfield and an Auto Ordinance), and the difference between them even is significant, and a Springfield 1911a1 Loaded model, which you can really tell the difference in almost every aspect from the GI's.

But I do wonder what paying twice the price of my loaded model will get me, as that one already looks great, functions flawlessly, and is more accurate than I am by far (and more accurate than either of the GI's). Maybe one of the more experienced 1911 gurus on here can tell me what I'm missing out on, but I don't see how it can get too much better, and it still justify the price IMO.

Of course, it also depends on the features you want in your pistol as well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I love my Kimbers, and I've had no problems with them. That said, I buy a Wilson, or an Ed Brown in a heartbeat...if the boss would let me.
    These large purchases take time to 'negotiate'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I love my Kimbers, and I've had no problems with them. That said, I buy a Wilson, or an Ed Brown in a heartbeat...if the boss would let me.
    These large purchases take time to 'negotiate'.
    I hope you took debate in school!

You don't hear about Wilson's because they can cost over $3K. Kind of the same way you see a lot less Aston Martin Vigor's compared to Honda Civics.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Have you looked into STI pistols?

very very nice...

If I was going to spend the money that a Wilson cost, it would be for a Wison.

I have heard and seen nothing but good in regards to their pistols. With that said, IMO the best value for the money is the lesser priced Springfields, TRP on down. If I was going to spend north of $2,000 on a 1911 it would be for a Wilson.

That's just my opinion. Fow what it's worth I was going to get a Wilson until I decided to get a High Power. With the Money I saved I was also able to buy a shotgun and AR.

Biker

Most of the proffesionals I know carry Wilson 1911s.... I dont know if its a gun snob thing or a real difference in the gun - they sure do look purty though
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Yeah they are expensive as hell....but nice as hell too

There are some things that really do demonstrate the adage "you get what you pay for".......Wilsons are one of them.

A CQB Compact is on my short list right now......although, I wouldn't turn down an Ed Brown if it walked through the door either.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

In that price range I would go for an Ed Brown. I know a few people with Wilsons and they love them but they can be particular about ammo.

I have Kimbers that work great but they did not work great out of the box.

I would start with the new Para Expert or Springfield G.I. for under $600 and have a good and reliable gunsmith "tart" it up to my personal likes.

If I could afford a Wilson Combat then I would own a Wilson Combat. Everything that I have heard about them is good and the few times that I've been able to shoot one at the range from shooting buddies it has been flawless. On two different occasions in talking with off duty LEO's about pistols, they both told me that their off duty sidearm is a Wilson Combat.

I like my S&W 1911. Fits my hand like a glove. For that kind of money you could get a performance center model.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I once saw a video of a Wilson pistol being built from the ground up. If you saw the effort and workmanship that goes into these guns you'd understand the price. Every part is literally hand fitted with incredible attention to detail. If I had the spare cash I would gladly purchase one.
    On the other hand, I have owned pistols made by Colt, Kimber, Para-Ordnance, Llama and Springfield. All functioned well and were accurate enough for self defense. As far as quality I would rate them: Kimber, Para-Ordnance, Springfield, Colt and Llama. Colts aren't what they were 20 or 30 years ago.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links