Kel-Tec Vs. Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec Vs. Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I should be getting my card in the mail in the next few days.. I hope. Everything is slow in Louisiana. I've already ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec Vs. Ruger LCP

Kel-Tec Vs. Ruger LCP

Hello all. I should be getting my card in the mail in the next few days.. I hope. Everything is slow in Louisiana. I've already have a gun to carry conceal but in the summer wearing shorts I think I'd like a smaller one.
    I'm either considering a Ruger LCP or a Kel-tec p11 or p9. I like the kel-tec's but I also like the LCP. I'd like others options on this. I talked to some LEO's that I know and work with. I'm a Paramedic and work with LEO's on different scenes.
    Thanks for the input.
    Patrick

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickemtp View Post
    Hello all. I should be getting my card in the mail in the next few days.. I hope. Everything is slow in Louisiana. I've already have a gun to carry conceal but in the summer wearing shorts I think I'd like a smaller one.
    I'm either considering a Ruger LCP or a Kel-tec p11 or p9. I like the kel-tec's but I also like the LCP. I'd like others options on this. I talked to some LEO's that I know and work with. I'm a Paramedic and work with LEO's on different scenes.
    Thanks for the input.
    Patrick
    You are really comparing apples to oranges here, as the LCP is equivilent to the Kel-Tec P3AT.

I had the P3AT and got rid of it due to it's constant tendency to jam, but love my LCP which is a better made version of the P3AT.

I've handled both the P11 and P9 and wasn't impressed by the sub-par fit & finish and have also heard they are not fun to shoot.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

1943 - 2009
    A word to the wise here.

Please do not turn this thread into a Kel-Tec versus Ruger "bashfest," or it will be closed in the blink of an eye.

We've been down that road before.

It wasn't pretty...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I own both and they are both good. Also very similar in design, LCP could pass as P3AT clone. IMO, buy whichever one you can find. In my area the LCP is hard to find and priced in the $350 range. Keep in mind that they are both DAO.

i'd recommend the Kel-Tec PF9..not much larger the the P3AT and chambered for 9mm..
    Last edited by crue2009; July 3rd, 2009 at 01:05 AM.

I have the P3AT.

The LCP is better looking.

I'm not changing though.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    i'd recommend the Kel-Tec PF9..not much larger the the P3AT and chambered for 9mm..it's amazingly thin,compact and lightweight for a 9mm..
    +1 With the PF9 you get a better caliber and the ammo's cheaper. I don't know how bad it is trying to find .380 ammo where you are but it's non-existent where I live.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

The PF9 is a very nice piece, but that LCP is just something else and the CT laser look so darned cool on it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

We considered both for my wife, but went with the LCP because it seemed better made, and I have good experience with other Ruger firearms and their warranty service.

One of the differences that struck me was the long, springy extractor that Kel-tec uses. Anyone know why they use this design? Is it just less expensive? I've not seen any other manufacturer use this design.

The LCP uses a more traditional extractor, and the slide lock was also an added plus - it helps my wife load the pistol a bit more easily (but she still has some trouble racking the slide).

I wish both of these pistols locked the slide open when empty - really cannot understand a defensive pistol that doesn't lock open when empty.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

The KelTec P-3AT gets my vote. Mine has given me trouble free service (though limited...not a fun range gun) for over 6 years.
    I'd get another if this one disappeared...a great pocket gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks to all that replied.. First I wasn't at all trying to turn it in to a Kel-Tec - Ruger LCP bash fest.. I didn't want that at all. I've owned rugers before and they were a pleasure to own. But since I'm new in conceal carry. I was wanting feedback from people that were more experienced than myself. I have heard from friends that they were both great guns. I try to do research on most weapons I buy and I've read the reviews on these guns.. Both reviews were good. But those were done by one person. I wanted to hear from others. So PLEASE do not bash either weapon. Thanks again. Patrick

Smile

I have an LCP. It has gone bang every time regardless of the ammo. It is a Loooong trigger pull if you are practicing. It is also a little difficult to hold as it is so small. I bought mine as a bug and for the times when I just can't carry something larger. It works great for that. My wife did not like the way that it felt and that was due to the small size.

Armydad

Kt pf9 imo

I love my p3at.

the LCP is a true pocket gun
    the PF9 is alittle large--will work if you have large pockets
    the PF9 chambered in 9mm is a better defensive tool
    my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links