How much of a handful is a PM40?

This is a discussion on How much of a handful is a PM40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have really decided that I want the PM9/40 for my next pocket gun. I love the size and feel. I like the idea of ...

Thread: How much of a handful is a PM40?

I have really decided that I want the PM9/40 for my next pocket gun. I love the size and feel. I like the idea of the PM45, but I thinkit is just a little too big for pocket carry. I handled a PM9 the other day and loved it. My EDC is a G23 and am think the PM40 makes a little more sense especially as a BUG for ammo consolidation. How much of a handful is it really? and I know this wont be a range gun, just enough shooting to get used to it then pocket duty. Let me know.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've owned both a PM9 and PM40. The PM40 is almost exactly the size of the PM9, just a TINY bit wider I think. The 40 isn't too bad to shoot. It's about the same recoil as one of the S&W airweight .38 revolvers. I had reliability problems with both though (more with the .40) and became uncomfortable carrying either for self defense. They were earlier ones though so maybe Kahr has improved the issues that they were originally having.

Administrator
    The PM40 is a handful, but its not that bad. It is much like the airweight J frames like recka said.

I would much rather buy a PM9 though. Its much more managable and the poly frame doesnt get beat to death.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well the 9 is my first choice....but if I cant find one for a reasonable price the 40 seem ot be more available.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    You can pocket carry the PM40, I have in a Desantis Nemesis holster.

I can shoot pretty good double taps with the PM9, I cannot do true double taps with the PM40. I like the larger bore, but I know I can get follow up shots off quicker with the 9.

I got the P40 and love it. Its light, awesome to carry and its not as bad as most people think to shoot. I am 6'4" and 220 though.

Well I am 6'3" and 275 so I am not really afraid of recoil but, if it s just silly with recoil and unpleasant to shoot Ill go with the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well I am 6'3" and 275 so I am not really afraid of recoil but, if it s just silly with recoil and unpleasant to shoot Ill go with the 9.
    I had one and to me it was very unpleasant to shoot , so much so that I named it"Zeus" because it was like casting lighting bolts out of your hands.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Get the 9, I dont think the polymer kahrs hold up well in 40 cal (at least mine didnt)
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Jwhite75: I have been researching the two models myself. As much as I like .40 cals, I will probably go with the PM9 over the PM40. My main reason is reliability. If you enter "PM40" under the search function on this site, there is a thread that has a poll regarding reliability. 25% of the PM40s had reliability issues. Kind of makes buying one a gamble unless you know of a gunsmith that does reliability work on Kahrs and don't mind spending the extra coin. I would actually like to know who does do reliability work on them, since the only place that I know of
    (Cylinder and Slide) has an eight month wait.

I really want both guns but the PM9 will come first for me if I do eventually get both.

I can shoot a PM9 all day long so I don't worry about the PM40 recoil too much. I shot and carried a S&W 340PD for years and presently carry a Rohrbaugh R9. I really enjoy shooting the R9 but there are limitations on what you are supposed to shoot in a given period of time so I need the PM9 to satisfy my pocket pistol craving / training needs per range session.

Yeah my first leaning is toward the 9 for all of the above reasons. I do Have a P228 SIG so the ammo wouldnt be that far of a stretch. I just EDC the G23.

Administrator
    I'd do the 9 then.

I EDC'd a 23 too, now I own no 40's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't think the recoil will be that bad for you....I am about the same size, frame.....etc....etc (6'4" 250"). I think it is more of a reliability factor.

I have had nothing but issues with Kahr polymer .40 s&w guns. My 9mm (PM9, MK9, and K9) have been nothing but stellar. Even my PM45 has been a good little shooter, and nary a problem. I have a CW40 that has been a red headed step child since day one.

I have started leaning away from the PM9 and am getting ready to take my MK9 just about everywhere with me.....especially now that I have a good IWB for it.

Bottom line, I would wait, and get the 9mm version of any Kahr over a .40 period.

I have the PM40 and love it. Next to my LCP, it's what I carry most. I did have problems with it feeding 180 grn Golden Sabre. They are wide at the end and would come in contact with the slide stop and lock back the slide. A little work with a grinding stone and it's 100% reliable. It feeds and shoots everything. The recoil is sharp, but if you are an experienced shooter you can handle it. I put an agrip on mine and it really helps.

I would have bought the PM9, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I bought it from a gun store that was going out of business for $500 OTD, new. With such great 9mm ammo available, I think it is a better choice for most people.

I had a CW40, snappy but not bad. It is a small gun but I wanted smaller and was leaning torward the PM40 until I saw the PM45 Nearly as small as both the PM9 an PM40 but with more punch I love how it feels in my hand. I have not had a chance to shoot it but have been told it is surprisingly comfortable. Soon as I can find some ammo I will let you know.

dusty

Sponsored Links