S&W 340PD........OMG (Unsolicited range review)

This is a discussion on S&W 340PD........OMG (Unsolicited range review) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the range this morning for my normal range outing. While there I test fired a 340PD that my friend had brought along. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 340PD........OMG (Unsolicited range review)

S&W 340PD........OMG (Unsolicited range review)

I was at the range this morning for my normal range outing. While there I test fired a 340PD that my friend had brought along.

It is a .357 airweight in scandium & titanium. Phenominal power from a small and VERY lightweight handgun. NOT fun to shoot in .357 but a formidible package for CC in a tiny platform. Snappy is not the word for that SOB in .357 BTW...downright nasty would be a little closer. IT IS NOT A RANGE GUN FWIW. Although it's not for me, I think the gun is awesome in all other respects.

The gun is remarkably accurate and was almost enjoyable with .38+P ammo but the .357 RUINED me for shooting my 9mm H&K afterwards. I had shot 100 rds of 9mm through my H&K (Nice & tight) before I was offered a chance to shoot the 340. Glad I had done that already because I pulled the snot out of everything from the H&K afterwards.

I think that the small framed airweights are an amazing advancement in CC handgun technology.....especially in the wheelgun category. Those are mean little powerhouse handguns.
    2A is not negotiable

2. Remove Ads

I am really wanting one of those little Airweights. A lot of people have a love/hate relationship with them. I want to try one out before I buy one.

Lecalsey - its a good thing you tried one on for size.

I heard some folks change the grip ; using a Houge Monogrip helps.
    Come to the Darkside. We have Cookies.

I am still considering one in .38 but not likely in .357. I like to be able to practice with a gun and I can't see more that 15 or 20 rds without a glove. I already have a SS full-size .357 that IS fun to shoot in .357
    2A is not negotiable

I took my SP101 .357 mag to the range and felt the same way. I shot some Double Tap 125 gr. loads from it and WOW!!! Even though the SP is a steel gun and recoil is a bit more manageable, those Doubletaps kick!
    After that, shooting my G30 with +p rounds was like shooting an airsoft.
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

My friend EDC one with CT grips on it. He loves it but knows it is a fire breather and says it is not for the faint of heart.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Me too, I love to practice with my guns. Its no fun for me, if I cant shoot at least 50 through it. I have a Colt Python that is FUN. That bad boy is a powerhouse.

I can't begin to imagine cracking off a 158 grn fullhouse .357 mag, in a 13 oz gun, with a 2 handed grip. I want to try it though :)) . OUCH!! comes to mind.

The S&W 642 or 638 bodyguard seems more user friendly.
    Come to the Darkside. We have Cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCalsey View Post
    NOT fun to shoot in .357 but a formidible package for CC in a tiny platform.
    I agree. Brutal. Not fun at all. Don't even think about buying one until you shoot it first. I was ready to quit at 3 and 5 was more than enough. The only thing they are good for is pocket or ankle carry.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Is the 340 a K frame? My 386 is the scandium N-frame and the recoil is very manageable. Best -

I read about this little thing in a magazine this past weekend. I was thinking about looking at this when I go to purchase my first wheel gun. I figured the .357 would be ruff, but I was thinking about just practicing with .38 spl and carrying .357 in it. That a good idea, or is it better to just stick with a 642 or similar?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I love my 340.

I don't seem to have the problem that others have, even shooting .357. Perhaps that is because I am not a gun hobbyist. I hate the noise; I hate wearing the eye protection; I don't go plinking. I carry, practice and train for a single purpose: to defend myself in the slight chance it is required.

Yes, it is different than plinking with a .22. So?

I practice with +p (with a few .357s thrown in) and carry .357. I have no qualms at all being able to hit COM from 7 feet and getting following shots quickly on target. And if I hit the throat instead of COM? My bad.

I carry the 340 often, especially during the summer. I can clip it on shorts,it disappears under a shirt and is almost imperceptible to me because of its light weight.

Thumbs up for the 340.

I love my 340... with the CT grips (with the recoil pad on teh back) the recoil is manageable.....

I dont think I have fired over 200 rounds of .357 in a single range day - but gotten up around 200 several times. Its a fun gun as long as you dont mind the snappy recoil.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I got rid of my Airlite that was chambered in .38 Special. Just too brutal. I still have my Airweight that weighs a mere three more ounces, but those three ounces are VITAL. I say this as someone who shoots 180-grain monster-slayers and to-the-firewall 125-grain loads in SP101 snubbies, and finds in exhilarating, not painful.

FWIW, my hands are quite skinny. I could put mega-cushion-y rubber grips on an Airlite J-frame, to mitigate the effect of recoil, but that defeats the purpose of concealability.

VIP Member
    I love my 340... gotta say, I do carry .38+P Gold Dots in it. Usually my BUG, my primary is a 1911, but I also pocket carry it. When you own a 340 there's never an excuse for not being armed!

S&W 340CT in backup holster.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Frame View Post
    Is the 340 a K frame? My 386 is the scandium N-frame and the recoil is very manageable. Best -
    I'm pretty certain it's a J-Frame:
    Product: Model 340PD Revolver
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Yeah.. shooting .357 out of these things is ridiculous. I am not recoil averse, but these things are insane shooting .357 in them. Any .38 Special +P is just fine. Pachmayr grips help a bunch. Cheers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links