Ruger GP100 revolver for carry.

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 revolver for carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy, I realize this has been asked a little bit before (via search), but I want to really narrow down my knowledge and understanding of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 revolver for carry.

Smile Ruger GP100 revolver for carry.

Howdy,

I realize this has been asked a little bit before (via search), but I want to really narrow down my knowledge and understanding of what I'm aiming to do with some of the vets 'round here.

I'm 22, my carry perm. is on the way (open or cc in TN), and I'm trying to adjudicate the logic in carrying a 4" GP100--or maybe just trying to convince myself .

I'll be carrying predominantly open, sometimes with a shirt/jacket covering (note that I'm am in no way provoking or even wanting to talk about the moralities involved in the open v CC debate, 'just need advice ), and I want to know if toting the Abrams around is within the realm of feasibility, given my frame.

I'm 5 '9, 148 lbs, athletic and have very strong legs (no, this isn't a Myspace profile /pun.) A good holster and belt are in my possession, and I'm looking for an all-around, do-all revolver that'll hold up well, and is also carry-able.

Any insight you cats can share would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

My question for you would be why would you want to carry a large frame revolver with maybe 6 shots? when you could get a full size semi auto and have 15 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I regularly toted a 4" GP100 when about 165 pounds on my thin 6' frame. A GP100 is NOT a small sixgun, but in my opinion, large sixguns are not as difficult to conceal as many think. Your cover garments will need to be a bit looser/larger than with a smaller weapon, of course. Really, for us thin guys, the deciding factor in what we can conceal is our shoulder width. Wide shoulders plus a thin lower body can be the very best combination for concealing larger weapons.

I still sometimes tote a 4" Speed Six in a Milt Sparks PMK holster. This is very concealable and comfortable, and I do mean all-day comfort. A Speed Six is ever so slightly smaller than a GP100, mostly due to the thinner barrel and less metal in the top strap. I have a Kramer Vertical Scabbard that will accommodate a 4" GP100, but it is vertical, making it more of a field rig than for concealment. Back in the day, I CC'ed the GP100 in a now-discontinued Eagle Industries IWB holster, which has a pivoting belt loop.

Edited to add: Just noticed your post count of 1. Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by marengofire View Post
    words
    Most defense scenario "gun fights" are over in around 4 rounds or less. Ditto for a connected .357.

You are responsible for everyone one of those 15 rounds you speak of.

Also, I believe reliability is paramount in a defensive arm, which revolvers happen to be.

Thanks for the help, Marengofire.

Rexster, thank you! 'Nice place you've got here.

Concealment isn't super mandatory, but a good option to have. If I had to CC, I wouldn't be looking at this rotary gun, believe you me. I'm really just looking to see if carrying this guy around is readily do-able with a good rig.

Yeah, I really dig the "six" line of Rugers, but they have been hard to find here lately due to the gun rage. I also don't like the fact they are out of production (parts), but that could very well be a moot point, it being a Ruger and all.

I still need halp! :o

Thanks

I'm 5' 6" and 155lbs. I have a ruger security six 4". Carries just fine. the gp100 isn't much bigger if i remember right. I just got a done hume H721 OT and it conceals just fine! you should have no problem OC'n the gp100

5' 9", 170#. I sometimes carry a 4" GP100 without concealment problems or discomfort. I use a Beltman belt and a FIST #14 holster. A pair of Perry suspenders adds to the comfort of carrying the gun with this setup. The GP100 is a very COMFORTING gun to have at your service.

I carry a four-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson and make frequent use of a Buchimer Federal Man high-rise holster. It keeps the gun close to the body but is comfortable. I use the rig beneath a jacket but it would work for OC as well.

VIP Member
    Ruger GP100 revolver for carry
    why not, I often carry a 625

I'm thinking that probably did the trick, fellas. Or maybe I'm just being too "suggestive" in my thinking; only paying attention to the positive posts! :p /lol

Either way, I agree, it's mos def a confidence inspiring thing to have looped around your person, and I'm grateful for you all's time.

Happy 4th, and try not to maim anybody shooting your guns and fireworks off synonymously within city limits (I know you do ;D!)

The GP in 4" was my first brand new gun in 1992...and you will not be let down by it\......having said that, I echo many of the others in that a slim semi is the better way to go with higher capacity......but I love the GP miss mine in fact since I sold it!!!!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    While I'm bigger than you (6' about 200 lbs) I don't see a problem with carrying a 4" GP-100. I've carried mine a few time. While not an idea gun for CC it should work well for OC.

I'd say the GP 100 is a great gun for open carry, I myself carry a 4in Security Six CC in winter Can't beet the .357 punch!!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

don't forget a vertical shoulder rig for winter time! i can hide an enormous model 29 like nothing with it, though thats just for sh*ts and giggles as the holster was free. if i had a more sane length m29 i'd probably carry it all the time in the same manner you're describing (mostly open)

I carry my 4 inch Security Six every now and then in my Cobra Gunskin holster.It carries and conceals pretty good in the winter when I wear my Shami Shirts.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    You will be well armed with the Ruger. Carry it and stay safe.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links