What 9mm is avalible?

This is a discussion on What 9mm is avalible? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guys and gals of DC! I've been carrying various .380ACP pistols a while now and think I would like something with a bit more ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 9mm is avalible?

What 9mm is avalible?

Hello guys and gals of DC!

I've been carrying various .380ACP pistols a while now and think I would like something with a bit more punch. Therefore I think stepping up to 9mm is the next logical step, and ammo is much cheaper :)
    Anyway a few features of the gun I'm looking for.
    1. 9mm Caliber
    2. No Polymer
    3. Weight must be around 24 oz.
    4. Single stack magazine
    5. Because of the weight I think we need an alloy frame
    6. DA/SA or DAO
    7. 600 USD budget
    8. I would like to keep the size around the area of a Walter PP,
    9. This is subjective but it needs to be sexy, IE no Glocks.

The last requirement is odd but I like my pistols to be pleasing to hold and to look at. For example the PPK, Sig 232, and Colt 1911 all have that X factor. I've never been a fan of the blocky type guns. Regardless, above is what I'm looking for in a gun. Do any exist new or used?
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I don't know of any handguns that meet your criteria. The closest I can think of is a maybe a used SIG P239 which weighs almost 30 ounces with magazine. I don't know of any alloy framed guns that weigh no more than 24 ounces.

Looks mean little to me when it comes to defensive firearms as long as they go bang when I need them to.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The only weapon I've found that might work are the HK P7 or the S&W 3913
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

No Polymer

Why no polymer? Most guns in the next size up from yours in 9mm have that as the frame.

Remember, it is how it fits your hand that counts. The polymer cuts the weight, miniumizes the rust factor, is cheaper to make.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Used Kahr K9

I have nothing against polymer frames, I own a Taurus PT111, and a Glock 27 its just I don't prefer the feel of polymer. Its a personal choice, I chose metal.
    -Hybridz.org

Sig 228 or a 239 if you need single stack. I'd go new if you got the bucks. The weight is a little more than you want.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Springfield Armory EMP 9mm. It is a beautiful weapon but it is close to $1,000. I think it weighs 24 oz.

I know you are looking for a single stack but the CZ 75 PCR is alloy and weighs 26oz, might be worth a look. They typically sell for around $500.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson

Here is what I sometimes carry, it isn't a 9mm Luger but a 9mm MAK in between the 380 and 9mm luger. It is a FEG PA 63, single stack mag 7+1, alloy frame, and PPK size. They run about $200+ range.

In my area, all 9's are available...and the Glocke 19, 26, 17's are all in stock.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I don't think the OP likes tupper wear :-(
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'd say CZ RAMI but it's double stack; other criteria seem to match your list.
    Attached Images

Two recommendations

I'd say the S&W 3913 fits your specs the best, as it weighs 24.8 ounces empty with an aluminum frame and 8 round single stack magazine. These are out of production, but quite a few are available on the used market under $600. They have a very good reputation and are quite slim and concealable.

The Sig P239 is close to your spec, but slightly heavier with weight of 27.5 ounces in 9mm. I have a P239 myself and would highly recommend it, although the price is over your spec.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The only weapon I've found that might work are the HK P7 or the S&W 3913
    Too heavy.

Light weight = higher cost.

7. 600 USD budget
    8. I would like to keep the size around the area of a Walter PP,
    9. This is subjective but it needs to be sexy, IE no Glocks.
    A used Kahr MK9, K9 or E9.
    What does sexy mean to you? Sexy to me means reliable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links