Question from a previous question

This is a discussion on Question from a previous question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keeping in mind my Glock jamming at the range at it possibly being a magazine issue, do ya'll normally keep your mags loaded and ready ...

Keeping in mind my Glock jamming at the range at it possibly being a magazine issue, do ya'll normally keep your mags loaded and ready or do you alternate em, anything like that?

Administrator
    Single stack magazines can be kept fully loaded to capacity with no ill effect.

Most double stack & Hi Cap mags should be downloaded by two rounds and then are fine to be stored long term.

Any members disagree?
    Argue it with Wolff Gunsprings and not me because that is their professional recommendation.
    They probably know more about ultra-fine gun springs than I do since they have been making thousands of them every day for many decades.

I number my G19 mags and rotate on a regular basis. This gives the springs a full rest. The 2 round download sounds promising too.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I don't worry about it at all with my carry gun and BUG since I shoot them a lot. Guns that I don't I keep the mags unloaded. I'd worry about the lip of a magazine being funky before the springs.

I ussually don't top off my mags like 16 rnd mag put in gun & rack & holster
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Have 4. One in the gun and one on the belt. Each pair two weeks loaded (I load 1 down from max.) and two weeks at rest. These mags are 8 years old now and I had some function problems in my G27 the other week that I believe are the result of W-WWB but am going to replace the mag springs and followers just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Most double stack & Hi Cap mags should be downloaded by two rounds and then are fine to be stored long term.

Any members disagree?
    Argue it with Wolff Gunsprings and not me because that is their professional recommendation.
    Perhaps it matters. Perhaps not.

My experience is that when a dozen magazines are kept and springs are freshened every couple years, it likely doesn't matter. I've had double-stack magazines on several firearms for the past 15yrs and not experienced any spring-fatigue related problems. But then, I'm aggressive about routine maintenance like this, in order to avoid such problems.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

can i ask why is it single stackers are deemed okay to store loaded but not doubles?

I have heard it's not the keeping of rounds in the mag, but the loading and unloading that will wear the spring. The more rounds in and out are going to cause more issue than loading it full and keeping it that way for six months.

Administrator
    Supposedly because there is enough room remaining in a single stack mag not to over-compress the magazine spring beyond a certain point but, many (not all) double stack mags need to overcompress the spring in order to attain their full magazine capacity.

Take it for what it's worth. Mag springs are cheap though and so not expensive to replace. I like the +power Wolff magazine springs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameso View Post
    can i ask why is it single stackers are deemed okay to store loaded but not doubles?

Administrator

I Won't Post Them All 'Cause It's A Copyrighted Page.

From The Wolff FAQ Page. All Credit To Wolff Gun Springs.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Resources/welcomeNOF.html
    To view the complete page click on FAQ Frequently Asked Questions.

4. How often should I change my springs?

The performance of your gun is the best indicator of when a spring needs to be replaced. Factors such as increased ejection distance, improper ejection and/or breeching, lighter hammer indents on primers, misfires, poor cartridge feeding from magazines, frequent jams, stove pipes and other malfunctions are all possible indications of fatigued springs or improper springs.

Springs such as magazine springs, striker springs and recoil springs are subjected to higher stress levels and will require more frequent replacement than other lower stressed springs such as firing pin springs and hammer springs.

5. How often should I change magazine spring? Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds?

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and are the subject of much debate and concern.
    Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. In many older pistol designs, maximum capacity was not the always the goal such as with the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded. There was room for more spring material in these guns which reduces overall stress and increases the usable life of the spring.

More recently higher capacity magazine have become popular. These are designed to hold more rounds with less spring material often in the same space. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause it to fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but it is not always practical.

In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded at all times, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life.
    Regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs.

Regular shooting of the pistol is the best way to be sure the springs are still functioning reliably.

I keep my Glock mags fully loaded to capacity. I rotate them when and if I think about it. I've stayed with the factory springs in all of them. If one gives me any issue at the range, it gets put in the bag and rebuilt with the same Glock OEM springs and followers. If you feel the need to rest your magazine springs after being fully loaded for an extended period of time, I'd suggest not only unloading them....but breaking them down all the way to let the spring expand completely and give a couple of days before reassembling.

Links