My wife is ready for her first firearm!

This is a discussion on My wife is ready for her first firearm! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I told my wife that I wanted to get her a gun for her birthday next month. The reason why I told her already was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife is ready for her first firearm!

My wife is ready for her first firearm!

I told my wife that I wanted to get her a gun for her birthday next month. The reason why I told her already was so that she could look around and see what she wants. She likes the Walther PPK, but she won't let me spend that much on a handgun for her. She thought my Glock was way too expensive. I told her she probably wouldn't like firing it, but she wants something easy to carry and says she'll be fine shooting it. The next gun she saw was the Bersa Thunder 380 which I know is a copy of the PPK. She loves the nickel finish available and she likes the price which I've seen for around $280. I'm apprehensive to get her a .380 because the availability of ammo and have been recommending 9mm to her. I came across the Kel-Tec P11 which solves the 9mm issue, but the fit and finish just doesn't seem to be on par with the Bersa. If it is reliable, that is all that matters though. Does anyone have recommendations on what we'd consider pocket semi-autos for under $300? Nickel finish is preferred as well. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I forgot to mention my wife saw the Kel-Tec 32 and loves it. I know most people will say to use a larger caliber but I want something she can shoot comfortably. If she wants a larger caliber later, I will buy it for her. Does anyone know of anything negative reliability wise with the Kel-Tec 32s?

Have her check out the Bersas. Not much money and women tend to like them a lot. Do a google image search and you'll come up with some real pretty ones.

Here's one I just bought:

Did you see a Keltel PF-9? Not sure if that is too big for her to consider pocket carry, but I think it's about the same size as the Bersa. PF-9's (9mm) are going for around $270 here.

If the PF-9 won't work, I would buy the Bersa .380 over the Keltec .32. I believe .380 ammo will soon be available again. I've seen .380 here in St. Louis at 2 gunshops in the last 2 weeks, and a buddy bought some .380 from a 3rd gunshop recently.

You won't find much in the way of nickel for under $300. If nickel is important to her, I'd consider jumping on the Bersa while it's available.

I personally would prefer the PF-9, but a friend has a Bersa Thunder Plus (same slide as the Thunder, but a double-stack with 15+1), and it's a gentle, accurate shooter.

Personally I like the Bersa the best and that might be a good thing to jump on. I haven't found a place in stock, but I did find one accepting backorders, so that might be the best way to go right now.

Congrats on getting her THIS far, lots of husbands here would like to be that far.

I can't say this enough times...let HER pick it out. Right now I have a S&W 637 sitting in the safe. I picked it out for my wife, but she spotted the KelTec .32 and wanted to carry that. Presently, we are working her into a Glock-26...it's in the safe and she likes it...now we're working on some training and a means to carry it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's what I mean, she likes the Kel-Tec 32 and I won't argue that one. She likes the Bersa as well but she still prefers the Kel-Tec. I was just curious if there were others that I should show her first. I'll gladly buy the Kel-Tec if she's happy carrying it!

Quote Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
    I forgot to mention my wife saw the Kel-Tec 32 and loves it. I know most people will say to use a larger caliber but I want something she can shoot comfortably. If she wants a larger caliber later, I will buy it for her. Does anyone know of anything negative reliability wise with the Kel-Tec 32s?
    Sounds like the decision is made. If she likes the gun, there's a better chance of her carrying it everyday. Only thing I would consider is going up to a 380, kel-tec p3at. More punch but very manageable. My wife carries a LCP 380 and shoots it fine. She also shoots my p3at fine also. And like grady said the 380 ammo is starting to show uo for some reason. Some people say the 32 or 380 "isn't enough" Somehow I don't believe these people would stand in front of one to find out.
    Change We Can Believe In 01.20.13 Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.

I will echo Grady's advise all the way.

I made the mistake of letting my wife "pick out her own gun" and darn the bad luck, she took my favorite revolver, S&W 642. I even offered up a Kimber Ultra CDP but no, it HAD to be my favorite wheelie. Oh well, so it goes...
    Now, I have to do something else to replace it [back to P11 for a short period] but, the only remedy here is to buy another 642.

VIP Member
    You might look into the Kahr CW9, it's roughly the same size as the Bersa 380. Bersa also makes a 9mm about the same size as the 380.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I understand the concern about the 380 ammo supply. It is pretty scarce these days. Take a look at the Kel-Tec P3.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

If she's willing to train for stoppages, maintenance on the gun and practice practice practice..then a semi-auto would certainly be an option. My wife loves to shoot my P220 but she much prefers to shoot, clean and carry her S&W Airweight.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    You might look into the Kahr CW9, it's roughly the same size as the Bersa 380. Bersa also makes a 9mm about the same size as the 380.
    I was thinking the same thing about the Kahr. I've thought about snagging one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefrcd View Post
    If she's willing to train for stoppages, maintenance on the gun and practice practice practice..then a semi-auto would certainly be an option. My wife loves to shoot my P220 but she much prefers to shoot, clean and carry her S&W Airweight.
    My original idea was a wheelgun for her, but she just isn't a fan of them.

I just bought my wife an S&W 340PD(she wanted a .38) she wasn't even there when I got it just told me to trust my judgment. (probably not a smart choice) but there was no .38 spl ammo available at the time. So this was .357magnum and could use .38 when they became available again.

after seeing her shoot it I went out and bought a bersa thunder in 380 to see if she will like it better. ammo is hard to get but I can find a box about every 2 weeks. The place I bought the gun limits one box per day when they get some in.

My advice don't worry about the ammo shortage, let her choose and let her buy it in her name, then it is her gun and she has real ownership.

When I bought my bersa I had to wait the 10 days to pick-up and asked the shop I bought it from if they could save me a box if they got any in, when I picked it up they had saved one box and still had one on the shelf I was able to buy both boxes that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links