Slide stop problems

Slide stop problems

This is a discussion on Slide stop problems within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have a Detonics Combat Master that won't lock open on empty. I know the exact problem and was hoping someone could give me ...

Slide stop problems

So I have a Detonics Combat Master that won't lock open on empty. I know the exact problem and was hoping someone could give me any ideas to fix it. Basically the magazine follower comes up too high into the frame and pushes itself up and over the slide stop. This either causes the slide to fail to lock open or it will release the slide when I pull the mag. out. I think it's more a problem with the magazines since the followers are fairly loose in the mags. I have 3 factory mags for it, and they all have the same problem. Should I replace the slide stop or perform surgery on my mags?

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like it could be a slide stop issue if all 3 mags perform the same. However why not try a different mag (assuming you use standard 1911 pattern mags) first?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I would call Brownell's tomorrow morning and request their 1911 catalog. You'll get it in a couple of days.

The Ed Brown slide stop usually solves that problem all by itself (much depends on "just how loose" your present followers are though) - if you're in a hurry you can just go on-line to Brownell's and search for slide stops and call and order one and request a catalog at the same time.

You might also want to consider a follower "upgrade" for your magazines.
    But remember that if your present magazines do not have removable base/slam pads then you'll need to buy a style of follower that is able to drop in from the top of the mag.

I think the Tripp Research FOL-FLX-45 will work out fine for you.
    Call Tripp Research and ask them though.

I replaced the Detonics mag spring and follower with one from a Colt 8 round mag. It seems to work fine now, I can't get the problem to repeat itself. The factory follower looks alot like the Pachamyer contoured follower. I think I will order some upgrade kits and fix them all. I had another problem at the range, maybe a Detonics fan can answer for me. I tried one of the Colt 8 round mags and couldn't get more than one to fire at a time. The next round would go nose up and jam. I think the mag spring probably just isn't strong enough. Any other Detonics owners had any luck with higher capacity mags?

Links