NY Reload or Spare Mag? Both?

This is a discussion on NY Reload or Spare Mag? Both? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we all know you carry a gun. But do you carry an extra magazine? A NY reload (bug). Or both? None of the above? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Reload or Spare Mag? Both?

NY Reload or Spare Mag? Both?

So we all know you carry a gun. But do you carry an extra magazine? A NY reload (bug). Or both? None of the above?

I carry two guns and a reload for each gun. Either gun can become the primary if need be. If I have time I can reload. But a NY reload is much quicker.

I carry two guns not because I'm paranoid. But because it makes sense. Some don't agree because they may "appear" to be paranoid or over cautious. There is no such thing when carrying a gun for self defense.

If I have to fend someone off with one hand, the other can be quickly be armed. There are many other scenarios or reasons it makes sense to carry two guns. Yes it's a pain but it becomes a way of life.

If you do carry two guns what do you carry? Is there a reason you carry what you do?

Me, in summer time I carry either a M&P 9 Compact, Kahr PM9, or Kel Tec P3AT. Normally in both front pockets.

Winter time I carry either a M&P 9 full size, M&P 9 Compact, Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail, Kel Tec P3AT. Sometimes an XD 45 Tact but it's heavy.

I either carry IWB or pocket.

2. Remove Ads

I carry 2 spare magazines loaded in an IWB mag holder. My Glock 36 is loaded ready to go in a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster.

I haven't thought of getting a BUG yet, haven't been convinced enough to get one I guess.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

The G36 is a good little gun. Have a friend that carries a G30 and a G36.

Would love to do the NY Reload(I love that term.. as I'm a Native NY'er..now in the south since '06)but don't have a TRUE BUG-sized gun to compliment either my Glocks(19 or 26)or my Colt OM. In a perfect world that would be an Airweight J-Frame(with NO-LOCK)..even though I prefer the steel versions(640, the new 40)as I'm NOT fond of the small-autos for reliabilty purposes. Just my $.02!! Old School mentality says have a revolver to back-up your primary auto.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

jwr
    Carry 1 gun (Taurus Mil Pro PT111) 12 in the mag 1 in the chamber and an extra 12 round mag. Just now beginning the search for a second gun.

I forgot!

Sorry..I do, of course carry extra ammo. a spare G19 mag for either the 19 or 26. A couple of spare(Wilson-Rogers)7rd SS mags for the Colt OM.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I carry a spare mag (either PM9, G33 or G29SF) weakside/pocket but as soon as my Seecamp 380 is here, I may drop the extra mag for it as my 'NY Reload'. On those days that I'll only be carrying the Seecamp, I'll have a spare mag for it also. I guess I could do the NY Reload thing with the PM9 as well but I never have.

I forgot about my NAA PUG. I've thrown that in my pocket before with both a spare mag and a primary. I'd never give up the spare mag (if I can help it) for the PUG though.

I carry two guns and two reloads for each gun if I'm carrying an autoloader as a primary.

If I'm carrying a revolver as a primary then it's three guns minimum, with reloads.

Biker

I have three primary off-duty carry guns, and I carry one of them at any given time:

HK P7 9x19mm
    Glock 36 .45 ACP
    Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum

For the autos I carry one spare magazine in addition to the weapon fully loaded. For the SP I carry a spare speed loader of magnum ammo.

In addition to one of the above, I always carry a S&W 37-2 Airweight with a factory bobbed hammer chambered in .38 Special. I carry a spare speed strip with five rounds of .38 Special for it.

So yes, I carry two guns and reloads for each.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Yes, I carry an extra mag for my Glock 26 or my Colt Commander. My S&W 637 I don't usually carry anything extra for, maybe I should. In the winter I think I will carry my Colt Commander and either the G26 or the 637 as a BUG if I feel like I'll be going in a place that will warrant it, otherwise one gun and a spare mag is enough for me.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I carry an xtra mag for my M&P45c,or 2 xtra mags when I carry my 1911 compact,can also carry my keltec p11 for a bug,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I carry two (2) extra mags for my G26.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Yes, I carry an extra mag for my Glock 26 or my Colt Commander. My S&W 637 I don't usually carry anything extra for, maybe I should. In the winter I think I will carry my Colt Commander and either the G26 or the 637 as a BUG if I feel like I'll be going in a place that will warrant it, otherwise one gun and a spare mag is enough for me.
    If you "feel" you are going to a place that you need an extra gun, why are you going there at all?

Biker

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I carry two guns and two reloads for each gun if I'm carrying an autoloader as a primary.

If I'm carrying a revolver as a primary then it's three guns minimum, with reloads.

Biker
    Are the mags from your BUG compatible with your primary?

Have you ever had to use a BUG reload?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

In my case, no BUG (don't own two guns), but my carry gun is an S&W Model 60 and I always carry two loaded speed loaders as well. Still don't have as many rounds available as my husband does with his loaded Springfield XDM, but close enough for carry/SD purposes.

I'd consider a BUG if I lived in a particularly violent area, but my usual policy is to avoid high-crime areas after dark or when the crimes normally happen. I'm not in the military, a police officer or a security guard, so it isn't my job to run into danger.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links