Kahr PM9 Ammo

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a Kahr PM9 that I use for CC. So far the only carry ammo I have tried is the 115 gr Speer Gold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 Ammo

Kahr PM9 Ammo

I've got a Kahr PM9 that I use for CC. So far the only carry ammo I have tried is the 115 gr Speer Gold Dot and 115 gr Federal, both of which it likes. I was wanting to try other types but, in this economy especially I thought it may be a good idea to ask other PM9 owners what ammo theirs likes and what ammo they can't get to work. That way I can look for trends as to which ammo I have a good chance of sucess with and which ammo I should avoid. I know each gun is a little different but there should be some common threads among them. I'd like to get into the 124 grain+ area but I don't know about +p ammo in a gun this size. My primary focus is reliability, with accuracy and controllability also factors.

2. Remove Ads

I use Winchester Ranger T 124gr+p in my PM9.
    Runs like it should, no issues in about 100 rounds of it.

I use corbon pow-r-ball 9mm+P in my PM9 and love them. Flawless functioning and great velocity. FYI - I called Kahr before using +P ammo in my PM9 and they said that the gun was fine for +P ammo but to NOT use +P+ ammo.

https://dakotaammo.net/shop/product_...roducts_id=185

I have used nothing but WWB FMJ due to cost. Works great.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Recka81 View Post
    I use corbon pow-r-ball 9mm+P in my PM9 and love them. Flawless functioning and great velocity. FYI - I called Kahr before using +P ammo in my PM9 and they said that the gun was fine for +P ammo but to NOT use +P+ ammo.

Me too. I found the +P+ ammo did not always function and evidently was due to the increased slide velocity. I use the +P+ Win T in my G26.

I am carrying 147 gr either Win Ranger T or Fed HBE in my Kahr P9.

Regards,
    Jerry

My carry round is Federal HST 124 +p I've put about 200 rounds through my PM9 with no problems (I bought a lot of HST when it was cheap per round ) I've also shot at least 50 rounds or more of each of the following with no problems:
    S&B FMJ 115grn
    American Eagle FMJ 115 grn
    WWB FMJ 115 grn
    Aguila HP 117grn

In the event of a dud, both of my PM9s would jam with JHPs nose down into the feed ramp if I tried to manually eject the round in the chamber by racking the slide.

For this reason, I would recommend PowRBall for the PM9. The new Hornady Critical Defense rounds seem to be fairly "pointy" and might feed well, but I have not tried them.

Of course, duds are very rare with premium self defense rounds, so you may decide to take that risk.

Note - if your PM9 does jam this way, smacking upwards on the bottom of the mag may get the stuck JHP to feed into the chamber.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Mine reliably eats Federal HST 147g for carry, Blazer Brass and WWB for the range.

I'm not a big fan of +P ammo but in standard ammo, my PM9 has digested everything I've fed it including:
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr.
    Magtech FMJ, both 115 gr. & 124 gr.
    Winchester White Box 124 gr. FMJ
    Winchester Ranger 115 gr. JHP
    Federal Tactical HST 124 gr. (current carry ammo)
    CCI Blazer FMJ, both 115 gr. & 124 gr.
    CCI Blazer Brass FMJ, both 115 gr. & 124 gr.
    Federal American Eagle FMJ 115 gr.
    To this point, absolutely no failures. However, I make no guarantees as every firearm, even same make and model, can perform differently.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Mine is not a Kahr, but my Kel-Tec PF9 has fed Golden Sabre 124 +P and the new 115 gr Hornady Critical Defense with no problems.

We use Federal 124 gr HST in my wife's PM9 (124 gr recommended by Federal in short barrels) & works great

P.S... +P is acceptable in the PM9 as well
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

My PM9 feeds everything -- HST, Gold Dots, Hydrashoks, etc. I use both 147 gr and 124 +P HST for EDC.

For those of you who report your PM9 will "eat anything"...have you tried a dud failure drill (aka "tap-rack-bang" drill)? When I've tried that with two different PM9s, I get "tap-rack-jammed JHP nose down into the feed ramp." Smacking upwards on the mag can sometimes get the round to feed, so you get a "tap-rack-smack-bang" drill. Same problem no matter what type of JHP I tried (EFMJ 124 gr, Cor-Bon 115 gr, Mag tech Gold, etc).

Just curious if I'm really unlucky, or if this is a design trait. Others have reported similar, so I'm thinking it has to do with the design.

Thanks!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have gone through about 500 rounds in mine so far. No problems with either WWB 115gr or HST 124+p

Quote Originally Posted by Recka81 View Post

I have been carrying power ball for sometime and then I noticed something that changed my mind drastically. BOTH the 45 and the 9 turn sideways negating expansion.

100 grain +P Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball

165gr +P Cor-Bon Pow'r Ball

I have seen other images as well and this is a very consistent trait. I used to think it was a fantastic round but know frankly I think it is only better than ball, and "if you have to" It does penetrate and it does expand. BUT look at the images, you can see where for the last few inches it is on its side. That is in deep where it counts the most as well.

This is actually what got me on this tread, I am looking for a new round.

I have shot about 50 dpx 9 in my Khar PM9 but would want to test more before I carried it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links