HELP - need new j frame grips for wife!

This is a discussion on HELP - need new j frame grips for wife! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I need absorbing grips, non laser for wifes 642. Too much pounding on her hands at the range. This will be her primary ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - need new j frame grips for wife!

HELP - need new j frame grips for wife!

Hello all,
    I need absorbing grips, non laser for wifes 642. Too much pounding on her hands at the range. This will be her primary carry and we have other guns but this is the main one.

So, Houge or Pachmyer, which ones etc. We may only put them on for range shooting but probably for good, just need to absorb some sting as her hands are a little arthritec.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Hello all,
    I need absorbing grips, non laser for wifes 642. Too much pounding on her hands at the range. This will be her primary carry and we have other guns but this is the main one.

So, Houge or Pachmyer, which ones etc. We may only put them on for range shooting but probably for good, just need to absorb some sting as her hands are a little arthritec.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.
    I use the Pachmayr Compac grips for my J frame M 640, and the Gripper Grips for my 3" M60.
    They really do reduce the felt recoil. I don't use them on my 642, but would use the Compac if I needed them.

Regards,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I use the Pachmayr Compac grips for my J frame M 640, and the Gripper Grips for my 3" M60.
    They really do reduce the felt recoil. I don't use them on my 642, but would use the Compac if I needed them.

Regards,
    Jerry
    Ditto here, I have the Pachmayr Compac grips on my 342. I had the Hogue mono grips on it first, the Pachs are much better IMO.

The sort of "Birdshead" style rubber grip, standard on the S&W model 60 is an extreemly comfortable grip for smaller hands

Borrow someone's J frame with Crimson Trace Grips, my wife loves them and she's shooting a Airweight. I switch my Hogue grips for CTG on 2 Sigs. and they are just as comfortable to shoot.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Quote Originally Posted by chiefrcd View Post
    Borrow someone's J frame with Crimson Trace Grips, my wife loves them and she's shooting a Airweight. I switch my Hogue grips for CTG on 2 Sigs. and they are just as comfortable to shoot.
    I thoguht about CTC grips but didn't want to spend the money...but I will try them if I can.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

EW3
    I have a set of Uncle Mike's Combat Grips that you can have, PM sent:

I had them on a S&W 442 that is now gone; they made shooting it at the range much more pleasant.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    The sort of "Birdshead" style rubber grip, standard on the S&W model 60 is an extreemly comfortable grip for smaller hands
    Pachmayr Compacs on 640 and 60 (belt carry) and the grips mentioned above on the 642 and 637(pocket carry). Either one will do for the 642. The Pachys are just a tad bigger, so the extended grips ("Birdshead") work out better for pocket carry, especially in jeans and shorts. If she is going to purse carry Compacs would be fine. They do absorb the recoil best of any of the J-Frame "smaller" grips.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post

I had them on a S&W 442 that is now gone; they made shooting it at the range much more pleasant.
    Saw yourpost, looking around on the net to see what I hear on these as I have heard before that the UM's are sometimes "hard" on the hand. I will let you know and thanks for the offer.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I went down this road and eventually ended back at the stock OEM grips. I tried the Pachmyr Compaqs and they were the best for recoil however, they significantly affected the LOP to the trigger and that was a problem for me. I have small hands for a guy. She may or may not have the same problem. You can buy a pair and if she doesn't like them, you can sell them here and recoupe most of your cost.

I eventually stopped using +p and eventually I got a stainless steel model 60. The extra weight made a HUGE difference in felt recoil. For pocket carry I still have my Airweight but for IWB or purse carry the stainless steel is a pleasure to shoot.

And I'd avoid any kind of wood. I LOVE how wood looks but it always makes the recoil feel more harsh.

I know what you're saying about the cost of lasers and personally I wouldn't want to use a laser but if you think she might like a laser, the new ones have a padded backstrap. Again the LOP maybe an issue but there's only one way to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Pachmayr Compacs on 640 and 60 (belt carry) and the grips mentioned above on the 642 and 637(pocket carry). Either one will do for the 642. The Pachys are just a tad bigger, so the extended grips ("Birdshead") work out better for pocket carry, especially in jeans and shorts. If she is going to purse carry Compacs would be fine. They do absorb the recoil best of any of the J-Frame "smaller" grips.
    Do the model 60 grips cover the backstrap? I think that is obviously where most of the recoil issue is coming for her....and that seems like a nice grip to try for this problem.

I love the looks of wood, and I like the idea of a laser, just not the cost right now...so my thoughts are to find the "best" grips for recoil absorbtion for the range if need be and change out to the Pink ones for carry...although I would guess she will stay with the new ones once we find the right combination.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post

I have 3 of these installed on my 3 "J" frames. Best grips they've ever worn. Can shot a box of 158 gr Speer Gold Dot .357's through my 60-10 with zero pain.
    For the money the best out there for recoil control and reduction.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I have 3 of these installed on my 3 "J" frames. Best grips they've ever worn. Can shot a box of 158 gr Speer Gold Dot .357's through my 60-10 with zero pain.
    For the money the best out there for recoil control and reduction.
    Thanks, I am going to go with thse after what I have read and reviewed, thanks again.

How about the Crimson?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links