What to do?

This is a discussion on What to do? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I want to start shooting 22lr for obvious reasons, I just can't decide what to do about it. I already have a 10/22 that ...

View Poll Results: What option should I pick for 22lr?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-15 Conversion Kit

10 9.71%
  • 1911 Conversion Kit

16 15.53%
  • New 22 (pistol or rifle)

69 66.99%
  • Something I forgot

8 7.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

What to do?

So I want to start shooting 22lr for obvious reasons, I just can't decide what to do about it. I already have a 10/22 that shoots ok. I'm torn between a conversion kit for the AR or for the 1911 or just buying another 22. Just looking for opinions of the forum. My budget is $300 or less.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Depends on your goal. No 22 conversion gives stellar performance, they are more for the practice of function, not really accuracy.

What I would do is take your 300, and buy some goody's to make that 10/22 do a lot better than "OK". You then could build your 10/22 to exactly what you want in a 22. Be it bench rest bullseye shooting or a lightweight hunter or even a goofy "tacticool" paper weight. Its up to you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I did look into upgrading the 10/22, but I really don't think I have the money. I know I could work on it over time, but that's not really what I'm looking for. After buying a new stock and barrel I would pretty much be at my limit.

I voted for "Something I Forgot." I'd go for a dedicated .22LR upper half over a conversion kit for your AR.

Once again, $300 budget.

You already have a 10/22, so I would pick up a Beretta Neos or something similiar for some pistol plinking.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    You already have a 10/22, so I would pick up a Beretta Neos or something similiar for some pistol plinking.
    Will it cycle the cheap value pack 22s?

Quote Originally Posted by j21blackjack View Post
    Once again, $300 budget.
    Sorry, didn't read carefully enough. In that case, is the 1911 your carry gun? If so, you'd probably get the most benefit out of a conversion kit for it.

Administrator
    If you really would like to soup up the 10/22, I can point you in the right direction to do so within your budget.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd appreciate that SIXTO. Mine was passed down from my dad, I would love to fix it up.

I'd appreciate that SIXTO. Mine was passed down from my dad, I would love to fix it up.
    In that case I would leave it as is and look into an advantage arms kit for the 1911.

Will it cycle the cheap value pack 22s?
    Yes it will. Here is a range report I did on it a while back...
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ally-ugly.html
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I absolutely love my Ruger Mark II. Fun to shoot and very very accurate.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Administrator
    The biggest thing you can do to your 10/22 is to put a good barrel on it, followed by a stock. Neither have to be very expensive. My hunting 10/22 has a simple Butler Creek bull barrel and a Hogue overmold. It can blast aspirin tablets and 30 yds with ease.

Here are two links to check out from the same retailer;

10 / 22 .920 .22lr 18" Target Barrel, Blued, Shooting Supplies, E R Shaw at Sportsman's Guide

Hogue Overmolded Rifle Stock, Ruger 10 / 22, Standard Barrel Channel, Shooting Supplies, Hogue at Sportsman's Guide

That leaves you with a little less than half of your budget for a decent scope. Again, these are 22's, so a high dollar glass isn't needed. A good scope for not a lot of money is the Bushnell Banner series, or a Millet. You should be able to find either for 75-80 dolllars. The base and rings will work just fine unless you get into some serious shooting. For the plinker or average hunter, they work just fine.

There are also dozens of aftermarket triggers too, but I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

Modding a 10/22 is very easy, anybody with moderate mechanical ability can do it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What is your goal? Cheap tactical training? Fun plinking? Target shooting?

For .22LR, my preference is for bolt action rifles, and revolvers. The cheaper .22 ammo is just not reliable. This weekend, I ran 200 rounds through my 10/22, and had 1 dud and 1 stove-pipe jam. Tolerable, since this is not a defensive gun. Still, a 1% failure rate is waaaay more than you would/should tolerate in a defensive firearm. Thus my assertion that this ammo isn't reliable.

As long as you're not looking for rapid fire, nothing beats the inherent reliability of a bolt rifle or revolver with rimfire ammo. Some can be had fairly cheaply, too. Some day, I'll replace my Ruger MkII target pistol with a nice .22 revolver...some day...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links