SigSauer P239 SAS Gen 2

This is a discussion on SigSauer P239 SAS Gen 2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyoen had any experience with this gun in a .40 caliber, i am thinking of purchasing one any suggestions. I currently own a Glock 23 ...

Thread: SigSauer P239 SAS Gen 2

SigSauer P239 SAS Gen 2

Anyoen had any experience with this gun in a .40 caliber, i am thinking of purchasing one any suggestions. I currently own a Glock 23 just looking for something a little smaller for concealed carry

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a Sig 239 in 40 cal. (SA/DA not SAS) and a G 23. Here's my $0.02 on the subject. I actually just got back from the range, and the two guns I shot were the 239 and the 23.

Side by side shooting: I haven't shot the Sig in a long time, and I totally forgot how smooth the trigger was in in double action. In single action, it breaks so clean at about 3 lbs.! I really like the trigger much better on the Sig. I was also able to shoot the Sig with a little more accuracy than I can the 23; I guess because of the extra weight and great trigger. As you can tell, I think the Sig is a great pistol, but then again so is the 23. Both guns have been 100% flawless and reliable.

Which gun do I carry. The Glock 23. To me the 23 is a working gun. It's light, reliable, accurate, easy to carry. I'm not afraid it's going to get holster wear, but that's not the main reason I prefer to carry the Glock. The Glock holds 14 rounds, and it's still lighter than the Sig with 8 rounds. The round count didn't bother me when I first purchased the Sig, but as time went buy I saw Glocks as a better carry option ( I have several Glocks). I don't want to discourage you from getting the Sig, because I think it's great, but, if your intention is to carry it, you may be disappointed because of its weight and round count. If you are really looking for a nice carry gun and wish to stay in the same caliber, I'd suggest the Glock 27. Or, switch up to the Glock 36 (45ACP). The 36 is my favorite carry!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

The 239 is an excellent weapon, I EDC a 23 and the 239 is not much smaller to warrant changing platforms. If you are looking for an excuse to buy a Sig its as good an excuse as any. But if you truly are looking to get a smaller EDC, stick with the Glock, get a 27 and share mags with the 23.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I am looking at the smaller carry as well as a little bit better handling, im trying to talk my wife into shooting a little. i have shot a 27 my hands are just too big on that thing so im not sure any other suggestions on what to look at

what about the S&W M&P40c?

I carried a 239 in 357 Sig for a couple of years and I loved shooting it and, while not the very ideal of a CCW platform, it worked quite well. I will opine that it required a dedicated gun belt and proper holster - I am an IWB fan. It twern't gonna be stuffed in your pants pocket... I would compare the width of your two choices as well as narrower tends to be more comfortable. This is why I now carry a 1911 Commander.

I CC a 239 Gen 2 in 9mm quite a bit using a pocket holster. I greatly prefer a DA first shot rather than the safe action trigger on a Glock. I own several Glocks, and they're fine guns -- I just prefer not to CC them. I own several more Sigs and catch great amounts of grief over my choice of using them in USPSA and Steel Challenges (production class), but it's what I've come to enjoy shooting, and I rarely miss with that first DA shot.

I know the Glock users will outnumber me, but that's ok -- I'm left-handed and used to being in my right mind.

I too own the G23 and P239. Each has its advantages and like someone mentioned earlier the Sig is only slightly smaller. While I like the Glock for it's weight and mag capacity I like the Sig for its thinness and safety of the DA 1st shot. If you're truely looking for something smaller I'd go with a G27. But if you're looking for a little change in handling then you will also enjoy the Sig. As far as the SAS to each his own but I consider it a waste of money. The gun in it's regular form will not snag and IMO it looks nicer.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    If your intent is to get your wife shooting, and you really want the Sig I would suggest getting it in 9mm. The recoil would be very mild, and she actually might enjoy shooting it.

Another alternative is to take your wife to range where you can rent a model 19 (9mm) and if she likes it, transform your 23 in to a 9mm. New barrel, ejector and mags, and you're good to go.
    Lone Wolf barrel: $100
    2 mags: $ 50
    ejector: ?

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Well I'm a gun guy and haven't met a gun from a "quality" manufacturer I haven't liked yet. Sure there are pros and cons to just about ANY gun you want to carry. I'm personally looking forward to finding the exact gun you mention and adding it to my rotation. Personal choice , there may be better and worse choices for your personal needs but it seems like a great choice to me.

Very nice............

Similar size

The poster was considering a P239 in .40 as a smaller alternative to the Glock 23. I own both guns, and the P239 is almost identical to the G23 in physical dimensions - length, width and height. I have used a ruler and a calipers to measure them.

The P239 also weighs a bit more than the Glock 23, when both are empty. The difference is several ounces. When fully loaded the weight is probably very similar because the Glock will hold 14 rounds to 8 for the P239.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I think you should buy it. That way you can swap between the two and decide that you really like owning and carrying them, and then you will have a Glock 23 and a Sig P239.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

The Glock is a grand gun I'm sure . . . but for me it's Sig 239 always. They feel better; take down and cleaning is simplicity itself; mine carries nicely in a Bianci professional M100, IWB holster and nothing beats the Sig trigger, double or single action. Just my two cents.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    If your intent is to get your wife shooting, and you really want the Sig I would suggest getting it in 9mm. The recoil would be very mild, and she actually might enjoy shooting it.
    +1. I LOVE mine, and anyone who's shot it has said what a great gun it is. Taught my friend how to shoot today, she loves long guns but is scared of handguns. She shot my 9mm P239 today and absolutely fell head over heels! She said this is her new hobby, and she wants to run out and get one right now! (She was also shooting 2" groups within the first few minutes of live fire. It's a great and very accurate gun.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Links