I need some advice on CC Handguns and Lasers

This is a discussion on I need some advice on CC Handguns and Lasers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, last month, I put on layaway a 4in Springfield 9mm XD with a 16rd mag and night sights. Now during the time I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, last month, I put on layaway a 4in Springfield 9mm XD with a 16rd mag and night sights. Now during the time I have been paying it off I have been reading about lasers and the benefits during night time confrontations, in aiding in sighting and helping with some confrontations in house and out of house without having to fire a shot. Well now I have looked at my options and my only option is lasermax which I would always have to remember to hit the switch. where as with other firearms that take lasergrips are auto on by me gripping the gun. Now here's the problem.....I can't take cancel the order cause the shop already has the gun custom made. I am wondering what are you're guys feelings / opinions on lasers and also if u have any good research material i should read. Also what hould i do about the gun issue keep it or trade it and get something different.

thanks everybody for all your help, I am a first time ccw

Tim: Welcome to CC. You'll get a lot of help here on the XD and your questions - just not from me...I have neither...

But, we have great folks here - so just be a bit patient. Say...I might just make ya a deal on that XD anyway! Seriously - reports are you have a nice gun there...

i have neither the gun you have in mind nor any lasers, but what i would say is that irons are always your best friend. you are getting night sights for the same reason you are wanting a laser, why not just practice with your iron sights and you will get to the point where they will be better than a laser? i understand that lasers are a good aid in high tension situations but a laser can fail or batteries can die. also i haven't done the research but have you looked for any ccw holsters that would fit your gun with a light mounted? the only one i have seen for the xd forces you to clip the lights to the holster and attach them to the gun when needed. if you have enough time to mess around and unclip your light and put it on your gun while your hands are shaking and you are being attacked then you have ample time to get the hell out of there.

IMHO lasers are best suited for home defense. get your gun and plenty of carry ammo and just practice your aim at the range. you are already relying on a machine that can(but hopefully won't) fail when you need it, why take the chance on two?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Administrator

Thumbs up Ditto:

Ditto: on much of what Mr Orange has stated above.
    It's necessary that everyone learn to shoot/react quickly and and shoot accurately...using the simple iron sights.

I'll take that one step further and say that every defensive shooter should learn to also hit instinctively at closer distances...sans sights.

That being said the LaserMax is a useful (though expensive) addition to a defensive firearm...as are the Tritium Night Sights.
    Both can be useful.
    (1) ~ They do not adversely affect the function of any firearm.
    (2) ~ The "parts" meet or exceed specifications so...no problem there.
    (3) ~ The SIMPLE LaserMax mechanical switches usually only have 2 moving parts & so they are extremely reliable.
    (4) ~ They do work.

So...if you already have one ordered then keep it as yet another item in your "Bag Of Defensive Tricks" but, it should never be a substitute for learning how to "hit" accurately without it.

You need to make a positive effort that you do not fall into the trap of using it as a crutch to replace good, basic shooting skills.

That is my honest opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't have the XD, but I have a Glock and a M9, both with Lasers.

What ever you decide don't depend on them, practice with the iron sights, or night sights. I spend 3x as much with the sights as with the lasers. Why did I get the lasers then?

Two reasons, for home defense it can help. The other is should I be invovled in a situtation like the Tachoma Mall shooting, I can hold the pistol away from me and use the dot as the POA.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

tried the lasers here...........the laser max batteries seem to run out quickly.........the CTs seem to be better..............I prefer night sights, due to my not wanting the BGs to see where I'm located.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I have a Crimson Trace Grip on my Sig P229. I use that gun mainly for home protections. When I go to the range, I practice 90% of the time with out the laser activated. There is no substitute for old fashion Iron (in your case Night) sites. Learn to use them first and for most, then you could rely on the Laser to help aiming in stessful situations.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome Tim

I'll just add that I have CT's on several guns including 226 carry piece - I consider them very useful - BUT - not to the exclusion of irons and point skills.

They serve as an adjunct but do I think potentially another useful tool. If I did not have them I'd not feel too compromized at all - and again would stress the need to be good without any add-ons.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Welcome Tim

I'll just add that I have CT's on several guns including 226 carry piece - I consider them very useful - BUT - not to the exclusion of irons and point skills.

They serve as an adjunct but do I think potentially another useful tool. If I did not have them I'd not feel too compromized at all - and again would stress the need to be good without any add-ons.
    +2 with what Chris has said
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I have a number of lasers on several different guns. This is my opinion...

If you have a gun that will accept a Lasermax or CT laser, I think they would probably work fine on a concealed carry gun. If you have a frame mounted laser, they make most guns more difficult to carry since there are few holsters designed with lasers in mind.

As for a laser's value in CC situations, I'd say of limited value (though having the laser certainly won't hurt) since most confrontations happen at close ranges where the simple point and shoot method will probably be more than adequate. On home defense guns, I think they are a great plus and have one on both my bedroom handgun and shotgun.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I'm now on my second laser-equipped duty pistol. got the first about 6 years ago. In addition to what's already been said, the best uses for laser sights are training, target designation for a partner and, most of all, intimidation. Most people are terrified of laser aimers thanks to Hollywood. I've even had a suicidal/homicidal mental patient surrender, get a grip on himself and follow directions exactly once he saw the twinkling dot from my LaserMax on his anatomy. Many others, drunk, stoned, enraged or stupid, all became very compliant once lasered. It even stopped a gangbanger charging me at full tilt dead in his tracks. I plan on buying another for my recently-acquired Glock 29. I've taken down a lot of knuckleheads at gunpoint and the response I got the first time I did it with a laser made it worth the expense.

-Lee Murphy
    "When the only tool you have is a hammer,
    everything looks like a nail."
    -Maslow

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    no lasers for me , i have played with them , and according to mr pact they slow me down and according to mr target i actualy get worse hits by chasing the dot ... night sights are usefull but any low light training is the place to start not with technology , as an aside all my full cal carry guns sport tritum nightsights altho if i were putting a set on i would only get the front and not the rear myself

badkarmaiii, I think you hit the nail on the head. While I wouldn't advocate a laser as something to replace iron sights, they do have their place and one of biggest things they do is intimidate! They also are excellent training aids since you can see every movement of the barrel, however slight, and when properly adjusted to POA with a guns iron sights, allow for exact placement of your shots. In low light situations, they are also an advantage in that they allow you to watch the target rather than the guns sights. Simply see where the red/green dot is and point it at the target you are looking at; no more need to carefully (and time consuming) aim or guess where the bullet will impact when you pull the trigger.

Lasers are not an end all or replacement for bad shooting habits or lack of practice, but they have a place. Just like the scope on a hunting rifle, they help a (hopefully) good shooter to be even better.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

A lasermax user here.
    I use the laser for training to see movement and have it for defense as I've heard the tales of not even seeing the sights under stress.
    I would also rather intimidate a burgler or such into leaving, a shooter or someone carrying a weapon is a different story.
    With that said, I still enjoy shooting using combat sights.

I have had a lasermax on a Glock-26, and I have several CT's on various guns. I believe the XD is one being requested frequently on the CT forum - go there & tell the factory what you want for future models.

Intimidation is fine for LEO's, but if a civilian does it, it's either brandishing or assault. There was a recent Florida news story about a LEO being spotted (with a laser pointer) by a teen as he got out of his car on a call - the kid was charged with assault on a police officer. Civilian CCW is for self-defense from lethal threat - if you go mixing other things into what is legally approved, you run the risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links