IDPA Gun

IDPA Gun

This is a discussion on IDPA Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in need of advice for a gun to use for IDPA matches. I have been interested in shooting matches for awhile and have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA Gun

IDPA Gun

I am in need of advice for a gun to use for IDPA matches. I have been interested in shooting matches for awhile and have found a place that hosts these events. I want to compete in the stock category and would like some recommendations on a fullsize firearm that will second as my home defense gun. The only requirement is that it has a rail. I really like CZ firearms and was thinking about a Phantom or something like it. Does anyone have any experience in shooting matches and if so what should I look for any a weapon?

What's your carry gun?

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Use the weapon that you use for SD. That's the main reason IDPA was created. It'll get you intimately familiar with the weapon you are using to defend your life with.

A handgun shoots only as well as the person who is handling it. I've seen gents with stock 1911 Springers smoke check guys with 2K 1911's.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Not sure for IDPA but for IPSC Production Class the top 3 competitive guns out of the box would have to be

1) Glock 17
    2) Para Ordnance LDA
    3) CZ75 or 85

Not having competed but attended a national champ match, most guys seemed to be running Glock 17.

Since you need a rail you could also consider the

Taurus PT99
    Springfield XD

As long as its something you can hold comfortably and reach all the controls (mag release, slide release etc) quickly without changing your grip.

Some of those double stack full size pistols can be quite wide for those with medium to small hands.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Blackeagle has a point with his question ... IDPA's basic premise is that you shoot with your carry weapon, under concealed conditions (clothing), and in scenarios that bear some practical/realistic aspect to what you might encounter in a self-defense situation.

With that said, I carry a S&W MP40c but don't use it in IDPA. The short barrel is less accurate than a full-size, and the recoil of .40 cal harder to control than 9mm, for example. I use a S&W MP Pro 9mm for the longer barrel length, caliber, and the refined trigger and sights. But the MP Pro is not one I use for CC. On the other hand, I am considering using my .45 DW cBob in IDPA because it is a sweet shooter and I'm damn accurate with it.

You should also take a look at the IDPA rule book --- shooters compete according to skill (classification) as well as pistol type. The firearm you choose to use doesn't make as much difference as choosing one you shoot well.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I know you're a fan of CZ.
    I used my CZ75BD successfully for IDPA, and carried the same gun daily til I recently sold it.
    I don't see any reason not to use your carry gun.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

So what would be the smallest caliber one can use of the matches? Can a .380 knock down those steel targets?
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    So what would be the smallest caliber one can use of the matches? Can a .380 knock down those steel targets?
    Good question. I've seen guys shooting 9mm that have to go back and shoot a steel target twice to get it to drop. A .380 might not get it done. I've never seen a .40 that needed a second (well placed) hit.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    The rulebook says 9mm/38spl is the minimum allowed caliber, unless it is a "BUG" stage.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I'd suggest shooting what you carry. Back when I shot IDPA I knowingly gave up some scoring potential by shooting my Glock 26, but got in some quality trigger time with my carry gun.

I suppose you could justify a full-size pistol with 5" barrel by using it as your "house gun", but I'd still be inclined to recommend that you "shoot what you carry."

Good luck and have fun with IDPA!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it outĒ Ė Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I knowingly gave up some scoring potential by shooting my Glock 26, but got in some quality trigger time with my carry gun.
    Right...at least for me, it doesn't sound like the appeal would be in 'getting a good score' as much as just 'good practice'.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Right...at least for me, it doesn't sound like the appeal would be in 'getting a good score' as much as just 'good practice'.
    Exactly. The real advantage of IDPA, in my humble opinion, is it is "practice" under "stress" --- building confidence in your ability to shoot as accurate as possible, quickly.

And, it's a buttload of fun :)

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

yeah, the main purpose for me is to have fun and learn some under stress technique. My carry gun is a CZ 75 compact.

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf1956 View Post
    Blackeagle has a point with his question ... IDPA's basic premise is that you shoot with your carry weapon, under concealed conditions (clothing), and in scenarios that bear some practical/realistic aspect to what you might encounter in a self-defense situation.

With that said, I carry a S&W MP40c but don't use it in IDPA. The short barrel is less accurate than a full-size, and the recoil of .40 cal harder to control than 9mm, for example. I use a S&W MP Pro 9mm for the longer barrel length, caliber, and the refined trigger and sights. But the MP Pro is not one I use for CC. On the other hand, I am considering using my .45 DW cBob in IDPA because it is a sweet shooter and I'm damn accurate with it.

-Seawolf
    I shoot my XD40SC carry weapon in IDPA.
    I do this because it is my carry weapon and not a game gun.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

"I want to compete in the stock category and would like some recommendations on a fullsize firearm that will second as my home defense gun. The only requirement is that it has a rail."

I usually compete in that category with a full size M&P 9mm. You could use a .45 and still be SSP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links