Colt SAA!!

Colt SAA!!

This is a discussion on Colt SAA!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody ever carry a Colt Single action??? I have a chance to buy one and I am seriously trying to talk myself out of it...just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt SAA!!

Colt SAA!!

Anybody ever carry a Colt Single action??? I have a chance to buy one and I am seriously trying to talk myself out of it...just curious if anybody ever carries one??? If so what kinda holster??? thanks Robbie

VIP Member
    I don't know if I'd carry it, but I sure would buy one if I had the chance...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I don't know if I'd carry it, but I sure would buy one if I had the chance...
    Amen to that! Great gun...one of these days!

The Colt SAAs are great pistols but you need to be cautious of when it was made. 2nd gen. are good as are late 3rd and 4th gens. but the early to mid 3rd gens are usually less desirable. And while others may disagree, I'd never carry a SAA as a carry piece. Too many better choices.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've carried one at the Ranch, but not as a daily in town carry piece.

I just keep the chamber under the Hammer empty and shove it in my waistband with the Loading gate open. It works for me.

I think Mernickle makes a Single Action Revolver CCW Holster. I've got a lifelong friend that is retiring from the local PD. His carry gun of choice when he hangs up his badge is a Colt SAA. He's pretty good with it too.

I don't know as I'd ever try to talk myself out of a SAA. I waited years to get one and now I want another.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; July 8th, 2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: typo

One of the salesmen at a local range carries a SAA, by the looks of his holster it's his EDC.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

It wouldn't be my EDC....but I sure like that nickel plated 45...its brand new...trying hard to talk myself out of it....thanks Robbie

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Make sure you really learn to handle one properly, not just for safety, but so you don't scribe a line around the cylinder, at the bolt notches. A properly-handled SAA should NOT have a line around the cylinder, though it is normal with most other revolvers. An important thing to remember is to never lower the hammer from any position except full cock!

I got my second SAA at a bargain price because the previous owner had played cowboy with it, gouging a line around the cylinder.

When both of my hands/wrists were to be kept splinted as I slept, I kept a USFA Single Action handy as a bedside gun. While an SA sixgun is not state of the art these days, it will still do today what it did in 1873, when it was a true fightin' pistol.

Senior Moderator
    Hey southarkrob;

I think you need to seriously talk yourself into a genuine Colt Single Action Army if you have a good opportunity to acquire one.

I occasionally carry a Colt Single Action Army on trips afield and it is a highly effective hiking gun. It features the 4 3/4-inch barrel and is carried in simple belt holsters. I don't care for the awkward, low-slung "western" style rigs at all and won't have them. Such rigs are expensive, heavy, clumsy, and uncomfortable. They are also ugly and likely not 19th century period correct. I'd prefer to fish extra cartridges out of my pants pocket rather than fiddle with cartridges loops. That's only my opinion.

In the photo below the revolver is holstered in an unmarked, unknown brand of lined holster than works well but has no retaining strap. I most often use a 1930s-1940s Schoelkopf belt holster with a retaining strap that I cut down years ago to fit the 4 3/4-inch barrel. Shouldn't have done it as the old holsters are now collectable.

Like BikerRN I've toted the Colt IWB, crossdraw fashion, with opened loading gate underneath my suit coat a few times in years past. Sure there's better concealed carry choices but, for five rounds, one isn't hampered by the Single Action as much as is generally believed.

If I was going to seriously rely on the Colt Single Action Army for concealed carry purposes I'd have a modern high rise holster made up for it. If a person desires open carry in public (which I don't) then he can pick from lots of styles.

I know a fellow who seriously carries a 1901 vintage 4 3/4-inch Colt Single Action in .45 Colt in a high rise holster over his right kidney. He can put those fat, heavy lead slugs into effectively tight groups out to 25 yards and with good speed. I'd far rather rely on him for protection in a fight for the first five shots than any auto pistol shooter I know. It's just those reloads that bring things to a halt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Make sure you really learn to handle one properly, not just for safety, but so you don't scribe a line around the cylinder, at the bolt notches. A properly-handled SAA should NOT have a line around the cylinder, though it is normal with most other revolvers............
    Could you explain that statement? I have 3 USFA revolvers (2 pre-wars and 1 Henry Nettleton) that I've been shooting for about 11 years and I'm not aware of anything that causes the cylinder ring other than:
    1. an early rising bolt or
    2. fast cocking with a late rising bolt causing over rotation.
    In other words, I'm not aware of anything other than improper timing that creates a cylinder ring.

southarkrob -- You're probably already aware but I'll throw it out just for safety's sake. A Colt SAA (or any true to the original design clone) is NOT safe to carry with all six chambers loaded. Proper loading procedure is:
    Bring hammer to half cock.
    Open loading gate.
    Load one round
    Rotate cylinder past the next chamber.
    Load next four rounds.
    Close loading gate.
    Bring hammer to full cock and while holding hammer, pull trigger and lower hammer on the empty chamber.
    Referred to as load 1, skip 1, load 4.

BTW, what is the caliber and barrel length?

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    Anybody ever carry a Colt Single action??? I have a chance to buy one and I am seriously trying to talk myself out of it...just curious if anybody ever carries one??? If so what kinda holster??? thanks Robbie
    Get it if you can. I know one fella that carries a Colt SAA chambered in .45ACP, he reloads his cylinder from a 1911 magazine, quite fast too. As bmcgilvray said of his acquaintance, I'd rather have Jim as a back-up than most others.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Could you explain that statement? I have 3 USFA revolvers (2 pre-wars and 1 Henry Nettleton) that I've been shooting for about 11 years and I'm not aware of anything that causes the cylinder ring other than:
    1. an early rising bolt or
    2. fast cocking with a late rising bolt causing over rotation.
    In other words, I'm not aware of anything other than improper timing that creates a cylinder ring.

Hoss
    Hoss, perhaps an improperly timed cylinder is the culprit, and that, coupled with the improper hammer management, makes the scribed line worse. My sixguns all seem to be properly timed, and I manage the hammer the way I was taught, so I have not disproved anything I read or heard about this subject. (It is hard to disprove a negative if you do things right.) I have been assured that lowering the hammer from half cock is rough on the internal parts, too; another good reason not to do it.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I think Mernickle makes a Single Action Revolver CCW Holster....

Biker
    He does indeed, nice ones too.
    Mernickle Custom Single Action Concealment Holster

El Paso Saddlery offers a number of their concealment holsters for SAA.
    Concealment Holsters

Forum member Rob Leahy offers several models.
    Leather Gun Holster, Concealed carry holster - Simply Rugged, Proudly made in Alaska
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thanks guys...just got into the hotel...drove from Baton Rouge to Seguin, Tx and still saw 3 customers along the way...The one I really want is a nickel plated 5 1/2" Colt...but with a $1300 price tag it is hard to justify....he has a 51/2" USFA blued colorcase hardened in stock brand new for $775...I think that is a good deal....I have been looking at the ElPaso Tom Threepersons holster...I would really like one in 38/40 but they are hard to find...thanks Robbie

That's a good price on the USFA but I'm betting it is their standard single action (base msrp of $975.00) and not a pre-war (base msrp of $1395.00). If you're going to shoot it, the USFA is every bit as good a gun as the Colt, if not better. It's main drawback is that it will never have the collector value of a Colt but the Colts lose a lot of that if you actually shoot them. If you're going to get a USFA though, you really should get this one. Only $4999.00.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links