Hard Chrome finishing?

This is a discussion on Hard Chrome finishing? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any one had there gun or slide Hard chromed? I was researching this and it looks almost to good to be true, no scratching, no ...

Thread: Hard Chrome finishing?

Hard Chrome finishing?

Any one had there gun or slide Hard chromed? I was researching this and it looks almost to good to be true, no scratching, no rust... I was looking at a company here in Arkansas "The Original Metaloy" Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish Any one used them? or have a gun thats been hard chromed....

Im thinking the XD's slide needs to have this done to protect it, Any one have pics of there work?
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    I'd give my business to Accurate Plating & Weaponry. Had a Ruger .44 SB and a Browning HP hard chromed with the brushed finish years ago when I was stationed on Kodiak Island in AK and at Air Station Clearwater, Fl. back in the early / mid 80's. Fantastic jobs and looks just like stainless.

Bob Hogan will do you right and his customer service is superb. He and his crew are also excellent gunsmiths. Very nice man to deal with also. Took about an hour of his busy schedule and gave me a personal tour of his shop. Have since had him work over a couple of S&W's and have been extremely satisfied with the work, their shop and crew.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND! You will be very impressed with their work

Here is a link to his site:

New Page 1
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    I'd give my business to Accurate Plating & Weaponry. Had a Ruger .44 SB and a Browning HP hard chromed with the brushed finish years ago when I was stationed on Kodiak Island in AK and at Air Station Clearwater, Fl. back in the early / mid 80's. Fantastic jobs and looks just like stainless.

Bob Hogan will do you right and his customer service is superb. He and his crew are also excellent gunsmiths. Very nice man to deal with also. Took about an hour of his busy schedule and gave me a personal tour of his shop. Have since had him work over a couple of S&W's and have been extremely satisfied with the work, their shop and crew.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND! You will be very impressed with their work

Here is a link to his site:

New Page 1
    ditto on Accurate. I live in clearwater where Bob used to have his shop, he built me a custom 45 in 1989, still have it and the finish still looks like brand new stainless, very durable.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

+1 on accurate; if you look at my avatar, that is one of the guns they did for me back in 1999. Consequently, all of my customs 1911s get the hard chrome treatment after I finish everything else.

Nice finishing touch, huh?
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Metalloy, APW, Ford's, Tripps (if he still does it) are pretty much the "biggies" for HC. Nitriding is harder still, and in black...

Probably the toughest finish

I have two guns with hard chrome slides, both Glocks. Hard chrome is the best metal finish I have ever seen on a gun from the standpoint of wear, corrosion resistance and easy cleaning. It seems almost indestructible and lasts forever. You can see why steel parts used in tough industrial applications are hard chromed.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links