Ok what is a 9m-18 round

This is a discussion on Ok what is a 9m-18 round within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the chance to purchase a gun that is like a 9mm but it isn't really. The owner says that it is a german ...

Thread: Ok what is a 9m-18 round

Ok what is a 9m-18 round

I have the chance to purchase a gun that is like a 9mm but it isn't really. The owner says that it is a german gun I think. Anyway he says it's a 9/18 or something like that. He is an elderly gentleman and he's got like wow a whole lot of guns. Most have never been shot and he's in a nursing home now and his sister has the guns.

Any help is appreciated since I totally do not know what i'm talking about obviously but i'm sure there is someone out there who actually can read something in this that will make sense.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

2. Remove Ads

I've got a German made 9mm Sig P226 that comes with 18 round mags.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I believe you're referring to the 9x18 Makarov round.

Consider, for simplicity's sake that it's between the conventional 9mm (9x19mm) Luger/Parabellum and the Browning .380 (9x17mm).

There is a decent quantity of 9x18mm ammo available.

surv

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

9/18 gun...........

Quote Originally Posted by grandma4 View Post
    I have the chance to purchase a gun that is like a 9mm but it isn't really. The owner says that it is a german gun I think. Anyway he says it's a 9/18 or something like that. He is an elderly gentleman and he's got like wow a whole lot of guns. Most have never been shot and he's in a nursing home now and his sister has the guns.

Any help is appreciated since I totally do not know what i'm talking about obviously but i'm sure there is someone out there who actually can read something in this that will make sense.

This is pretty strange. I'm making a guess and only a guess. Way back around WWI, Germany did make a gun called the Bergmann MP-18. It is chambered for the 9mm cartridge. It's a submachine gun and would fall under the jurisdiction of the NFA '34. Workmanship was incredibly good and it would be worth a small fortune.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I think he means a 9x18 mm or 9mm Mararov. This is an eastern block round that is between a .380 and the more common 9x19 or 9mm Lugar round in size and power. The pistol should be marked on the slide as to what caliber it is. I have a CZ 82 for CCW. It has light recoil and is very accurate. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I believe you're referring to the 9x18 Makarov round.

Consider, for simplicity's sake that it's between the conventional 9mm (9x19mm) Luger/Parabellum and the Browning .380 (9x17mm).

There is a decent quantity of 9x18mm ammo available.

surv

I think this sounds familiar. the 9x18. I remember him saying that you can not shoot a 9mm reg round in it.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

I think Bryan said Hungarian police gun. It shoots 9 x 18 or 9 mm makarov shells. He said there was a difference between these and a regular 9 mm. The information in the box says KBI, INC. PA-63 double action-semi automatic pistol. The other one is a PMK 380 both use the same amo. Parts and service are available from Harrisburg, PA. These guns are still in the original box with the paperwork, but no bill of sale, so I have no idea how much they cost. I don't think they have ever been shot since the magazines are still wrapped, and they have the warning tags still attached. One is solid black and the other silver and black

This is what she just emailed me. What do you think???

Quote Originally Posted by old doc View Post
    I think he means a 9x18 mm or 9mm Mararov. This is an eastern block round that is between a .380 and the more common 9x19 or 9mm Lugar round in size and power. The pistol should be marked on the slide as to what caliber it is. I have a CZ 82 for CCW. It has light recoil and is very accurate. Bill
    That's it Granny.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It is indeed a 9mm Makarov. DO NOT try to shoot 9mm Luger ammo through it. Also, do not try .380 ammo. The good news is that 9mm Mak is available and cheaper than either of the others.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

"Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Yup. It sounds like a 9x18 PA63
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The PA63 ANIB sells for $149 at the local gun shows around here.
    The PMK 380 sells for about the same or a bit more, but these are not as ubiqutous as the PA63, CZ82, or Makarovs, thus parts may be harder to find.

Both are Walther PP clones, adjusted for commie type, Cold War production.

I have a FEG PA 63 it is Hungarian pistol that was carried by police, I bought mine in unissued condition for about $200 after shipping and transfer fees, from Southern Ohio Gun. It is one of my daily carry guns along with a P 64, I carry it or CZ 82 as primary and P 64 as BUG, all are same caliber 9x18mm Makarov. Alloy frame (Aluminum) and steel slide (black) and is 7+1. I changed the plastic grips with a wooden set from Marschal grips. It is the same size as a PPK.

Last edited by gumaro; July 9th, 2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added text

PA 63

Very nice. Good pocket carry. Lots of 9X18 ammo available, this is a fun gun to shoot. The 9X18 is significantly less powerful than the 9X19 round.

The PA63 will chamber and fire a 9X19 round. You can find this on the www. But make sure your life insurance is up to date. The idiots who fire 9X19 in a gun chambered for 9X18 only survive because the Makarov (9X18) round is 0.365 in diameter and the 9X19 round is 0.356 in. This prevents the round from developing full chamber pressure. Sooner or later, one of these idiots will have a slide driven into his eye socket.

Handled one of these the other day, they are very well built. Nice little gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links