Taurus 82 modifications to make it a better house gun

This is a discussion on Taurus 82 modifications to make it a better house gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm new to the forum. For those who run revolvers: I've got a Taurus 82 that I am thinking about swapping out with the ...

Thread: Taurus 82 modifications to make it a better house gun

Taurus 82 modifications to make it a better house gun

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
    For those who run revolvers:
    I've got a Taurus 82 that I am thinking about swapping out with the Glock 17 as the nightstand gun. Some may think I am crazy, but I like the utter foolproof reliability of a revolver & my wife is familiar with this gun. As I am want to do, I am thinking about a few mods to make it better suited towards this role. The things I am thinking of doing are as follows:

1.)Having the hammer bobbed so as to make it DAO.
    2.) Having the cylinders chamfered.
    3.) The trigger spring was cut by the previous owner to improve the trigger pull. It has never misfired, but this makes me nervous. So, I am thinking about having the springs swapped out with the heaviest set of Wolff Springs.
    4.) I've been admiring California Competition Works Cylinder Release Latch.
    It seems that the traditional S&W-style release may not be the easiest to activate under stress & that the CCW version would be much easier. Has anybody ever run a latch like this on one of their revolvers? Do they interfere with speedloaders?
    5.) Lastly, having the action jewelled.

Any recommendations from you folks?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Revolvers can have their problems......they're mechanical and can disappoint you when you least expect it.
    I'm always hesitant about cutting springs and changing 'bell and whistles'...keep it stock.OMO
    Your Glock 17 = foolproof reliability...keep it on the nightstand.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Taurus 82

Quote Originally Posted by bodhisattvya View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forum.
    For those who run revolvers:
    I've got a Taurus 82 that I am thinking about swapping out with the Glock 17 as the nightstand gun. Some may think I am crazy, but I like the utter foolproof reliability of a revolver & my wife is familiar with this gun. As I am want to do, I am thinking about a few mods to make it better suited towards this role. The things I am thinking of doing are as follows:

3.) The trigger spring was cut by the previous owner to improve the trigger pull. It has never misfired, but this makes me nervous. So, I am thinking about having the springs swapped out with the heaviest set of Wolff Springs.
    4.) I've been admiring California Competition Works Cylinder Release Latch.
    It seems that the traditional S&W-style release may not be the easiest to activate under stress & that the CCW version would be much easier. Has anybody ever run a latch like this on one of their revolvers? Do they interfere with speedloaders?

Any recommendations from you folks?
    My opinion, if it's a house gun,in a drawer in the bedroom,leave it as is and use the money for ammo to practice with.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhisattvya View Post
    4.) I've been admiring California Competition Works Cylinder Release Latch. It seems that the traditional S&W-style release may not be the easiest to activate under stress & that the CCW version would be much easier. Has anybody ever run a latch like this on one of their revolvers? Do they interfere with speedloaders?
    1)Reasonable.
    2)Reasonable.
    3)No. Stock weight; you'll be much happier and more accurate.
    4)Reasonable. However, if you need a "speed" reload, the G17 has 3.75 times the capacity with no fumble-bumble reload. I don't believe it would interfere with a speed loader, as its size can't be much different than the old Ed Brown product.
    5) No reason to. Obscenely unnecessary(cost-benefit wise) on any Taurus revo.

Looking at all that, you could save +/- $300 and simply bring your wife up to speed on the Glock. Revolver "reliability advantages", in context of current offerings(Glock in particular), are non-existant.

Ie, don't tell your wife you're doing her a favor by making your dream "pretty gun", and consequently equipping her with a sub-optimal tool. Snubbies are not guns for newbies/occasional shooters; a 4" 6 shot would be much better (though still less so than using the 17.)

Would you want to climb Everest with your neighbor Jimmy as your guide, and the best gear Kmart has, or would you want an experienced guide, and maybe some "upper tier" supplies? This is a direct analogy to the 5 shot snub/Glock decision for you & yours, based on what you describe.

I have automatics but they are put away in favor of Smith & Wesson revolvers which occupy bedside positions around here. I've had them for many years and I leave 'em alone. They're slick and smooth.

I would say that I always have left them dead stock but my favorite is currently wearing a Tyler T-Grip for an extended shooting evaluation. So far I think I like the addition.

In your case No. 3 would be bothersome to me. If the gun were mine I'd replace that spring that had been monkeyed with.

I'm no Taurus fan for many of the reasons found elsewhere in the Forum however my brother-in-law smoothed one out over a weekend with a regimen of concentrated double action dry-firing while watching TV. I handled it on Friday and it was gritty and stiff. Handled it again on Monday and it felt similar to a good well used Smith & Wesson K-Frame. His method seemed a bit radical to me but it made a revolver that felt "yuck" into quite a nice shooter.

Hey, welcome to the Forum by the way! Glad to have you!
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; July 9th, 2009 at 02:40 PM.

Links