9mm 1911 for Carry and Range

This is a discussion on 9mm 1911 for Carry and Range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dear Folks: I am looking for a high quality 1911 in 9mm that I can carry concealed off duty (not too heavy) but also have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 for Carry and Range

9mm 1911 for Carry and Range

Dear Folks:

I am looking for a high quality 1911 in 9mm that I can carry concealed off duty (not too heavy) but also have a lot of fun with at the range. Something that will stand the test of time and many rounds. If money were no object........
    Any suggestions??

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Springfield Armory EMP. Small and compact, not sure the size your after.

The Kimber Aegis line. The ultra Aegis is easy to carry and recoil is light enough that it's fun at the range too.
    Rob

The Aegis is nice....but that EMP is one awesome gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I love 9mm 1911's!
    They look like and feel like a real gun......until you pull the trigger.
    Then you get a 'pop' instead of a 'BANG'.
    A lot cheaper to shoot than a 45.
    More fun than a .22lr autoloader.
    I'm not sure I would carry one for personal defense though.
    A Glock 19 is smaller, lighter and carries twice the ammo.

If you want to deal with a competent gunsmith, you can get your 9mm 1911 set-up with another barrel that will handle 38super and 9x23. No muss, no fuss. Just change barrels. And the 9x23 is a ripsnorter! Factory WW 9x23 124gr JSP provides 1500fps from a 5" barrel!!!! Ammo is hard to find on the shelf of your local shop, but can easily be ordered. And it is not expensive. Dealer cost is $23 for a box of 50. $21.50 a box if you buy a 500rd case.

I don't know how effective the above loading is on 200lb threatening bipeds, but it sure does mess up a large jackrabbit.

Look at the STI Rogue. I just bought one and have run ~150 rounds of JHP through it. It has been 100% reliable. It also fits well in my kahr pm9 holsters.

I put some orange nail polish on the front sight (old eyes) and it shoots where it is aimed.

It is less expensive than the EMP and readily available. I bought mine from Shooters Connection - Home. I shoot with the guys from SC every weekend-good folks. They have them in stock.

Dave

Para Ordinance makes a lightweight commander sized 1911 in 9mm. Should fit the parameters you gave well.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Although I like the STI, I'd personally LOVE to have the EMP. I like the fact that the grip is just a bit smaller since it was sized to the 9mm. For guys with smaller hands that's a great difference.

The one thing I don't like about the STI is the golf ball dimpling of the front strap. I think front strap treatments are a very personal thing and wish they'd leave them plain or with standard checkering.

My dream gun is a Springfield EMP with 30 lpi front strap checkering, a replaced MSH and then having the whole thing refinished in a black.

As for capacity it's going to carry 10 and it's going to be easier to conceal than any double stack mag type gun.

ONLY other drawback to the EMP at present is that you can't get a flush seated mag. Personally I'd be willing to give up 1 round for a flush mag.

It's also too back you can't get the new Dan Wesson CCO in 9mm, that would be sweet!

I'm not sure I like the look of the Ageis (SP?) but that's only subjective.

EMP was the first thing that came to my mind. Those are fine little guns.

I have been very happy with my emp.

Wife and I both carry 9mm 1911s.

She has the Kimber Ultra Aegis II and I have the Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm. The Aegis has a slim grip that she prefers, the CDP has a beefier grip for my medium-sized hands. I bought my CDP after I saw how easy it was for her to carry her Aegis and the tight groups it made on the range. My P226 has been relegated to bedstand and car duty. The Kimber is on my hip.

We now have a common platform and ammo requirements. They both have flush magazines (8+1) and they are both sweet shooters. I also have a Wilson Combat 10+1 9mm magazine that fits nicely in either gun, albeit with a protruding plate.

Kimber SIS.... IMO
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by acroreef View Post
    Dear Folks:

I am looking for a high quality 1911 in 9mm that I can carry concealed off duty (not too heavy) but also have a lot of fun with at the range. Something that will stand the test of time and many rounds. If money were no object........
    Any suggestions??
    If money were no object, I'd get a bobtailed commander in 9mm from Fusion Firearms.

I wouldn't take a Kimber in anything other than .45. The Springer EMP is nice but the 3" barrel isn't right for a great range gun.

To get a larger 9mm that's "High Quality" you're pretty much left with Fusion Wilson and NHC. I don't think Ed Brown does 9mm guns but I could be wrong. If you want a double stack, look at STI, SVI, and Fusion.

A lower cost, lower quality option would be the Para LTC in 9mm or 18-9

I would go with the EMP. This was designed from the bottom up to be a 9mm unlike the others which are "chopped" .45s.

EMPs can be difficult to find. You may want to try one of the gun auction internet sites or try looking at Cabelas gun library online. Good luck and I am sure that you will not regret purchasing one.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links