Kimber UC II Disappointment

This is a discussion on Kimber UC II Disappointment within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally fired my Kimber UC II. Fired a total of 100 rounds. Had 4 instances in which the slide locked in the open position ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber UC II Disappointment

Kimber UC II Disappointment

I finally fired my Kimber UC II. Fired a total of 100 rounds. Had 4 instances in which the slide locked in the open position even though there were rounds left in the magazine. I just want to be clear that it did not jam. Specifically there was no stovepiping or where the slide moved forward with a round lodged in. No, that was not the case. I just want to be clear on terminology here. I did use the factory reccommended Federal Eagle 230 gr FMJ. I called Kimber immediately afterwards and they are sending me a new Slide Stop. Should be coming in a couple of days. They want me to fire the gun and see what happens. If it still problematic Kimber will then want me to send in the gun back to the factory.

The other disappointment is that although the disassebly is rather easy, the REASSEMBLY is a PAIN IN THE REAR END! That damn slide stop is such a pain to get in. There is a sweet spot with little wiggle room. It's getting to the point where I am not having fun with this weapon.

Once the problem is corrected I am seriously considering selling/trade for another 45. Maybe a Kahr, Glock, or Sig. For an $800 gun I should NOT be having the trouble that I am experiencing. Additionally as it stands, that gun for the time being will not be my CCW. I cannot rely on that weapon to save my life one day. This is the perfect reason to have MORE THAN ONE gun. Hence my primary for now is a S&W 642 .38 Special.

Too bad it is a really beautiful gun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    I finally fired my Kimber UC II. Fired a total of 100 rounds. Had 4 instances in which the slide locked in the open position even though there were rounds left in the magazine. I just want to be clear that it did not jam. Specifically there was no stovepiping or where the slide moved forward with a round lodged in. No, that was not the case. I just want to be clear on terminology here. I did use the factory reccommended Federal Eagle 230 gr FMJ. I called Kimber immediately afterwards and they are sending me a new Slide Stop. Should be coming in a couple of days. They want me to fire the gun and see what happens. If it still problematic Kimber will then want me to send in the gun back to the factory.

The other disappointment is that although the disassebly is rather easy, the REASSEMBLY is a PAIN IN THE REAR END! That damn slide stop is such a pain to get in. There is a sweet spot with little wiggle room. It's getting to the point where I am not having fun with this weapon.

Once the problem is corrected I am seriously considering selling/trade for another 45. Maybe a Kahr, Glock, or Sig. For an $800 gun I should NOT be having the trouble that I am experiencing. Additionally as it stands, that gun for the time being will not be my CCW. I cannot rely on that weapon to save my life one day. This is the perfect reason to have MORE THAN ONE gun. Hence my primary for now is a S&W 642 .38 Special.

Too bad it is a really beautiful gun.
    Just a note...be sure you're not gripping/engaging the grip safety when trying to reassemble the slide.

At first it can be a pain, and it's never as easy as a Glock, but I have no problems with either of my Kimbers...sorry to hear of your difficulties.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ret, I made sure that I did not engage the grip safety. I drilled into my head after reading the manual. IF one does, it can cause serious damage. Thanks for the advice just the same.

Once you get the hang of insertion, it's a piece of cake. Up and in, but beware the scratch. Lay a playing card flat against the frame up to the slide stop hole for protection. A guitar pick works well if you need to push in the plunger. I just use both thumbs to snap it into place, but I've been doing it for years.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

AZ Husker - Once you place the slide slip into the hole, are you angling it upward or downward? I am using electrical tape to prevent scratching.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope the new part takes care of it. I've had zero problems with mine and love the heck out of it.
    The reassembly does get easier after you do it a few times. Hang in there.
    Good luck!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Thanks sarge. We will see what happens.

On this, and other forums, I've noticed a trend...manufacturers that start with a "K" (Kimber, Kahr, and Kel-tec) seem to have more than their fair share of problems. Not sure why, but they do.

"Stay away from the K."

On the other hand, Glock, Sig, S&W and Springfield seem to have few reported issues.

Beretta, Ruger and Taurus - somewhere in between.

This is by no means scientific - just my personal observations based on being on these forums for a few years.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Don't angle it at all. It has to pass through the barrel link and right through the other side of the frame. Start off with it turned slightly to the right (look at the bevel) so it makes minimal contact with the plunger. Lay the gun on it's right side. Now simultaneously with both thumbs push in and up sharply. The more it gets worn in, the easier it will be. There are several posts where the owner has notched the SS to slide by the plunger easier, but I've never found the need. Guys do rave about it though.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thanks. I will try that method next time.

VIP Member
    Are you sure you are not inadvertantly hitting the slide stop while firing?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Putting the slide stop in seems to cause problems in 1911s. It's really not that difficult. Go slow and watch what you're doing. Make sure the slide stop notch is exactly where it is supposed to be. To avoid the dreaded "idiot scratch" I put one of the stick up note pad papers on the slide and heavy plastic tape over it. The paper note pad keeps glue off the slide so you don't have that last step of cleaning off glue.

P.S. I have a UCCII that has been flawless.

MJK
    I also had the problem you described. Turns out the slide stop was being pushed up by a round in the magazine - clearances are really tight between the front left nose of the round and the stop. A new slide stop will hopefully fix the issue, but if not you might take it to a gunsmith for a little file work.

Between the new slide stop and improved grip we will have an answer next week. The suspense is already starting! I gotta say the gin itself is beautiful and when it performs without slide slock I am impressed! In fact the recoil for an ultra Carry was not that mule kick that I imagined! If it performs well next week I just may keep it. I guess its like a dog, needs lots of attention initially.

Make sure that you have a teeny tiny bit of oil on all slide areas prior to firing.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links