1st 200 rounds through kahr CW9--Range Report

This is a discussion on 1st 200 rounds through kahr CW9--Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just shot 1st 200 rounds through my new Kahr CW9..gun is very accurate.i first Shot 150 rounds of Blazer Brass target ammo,not one malfunction..i then ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just shot 1st 200 rounds through my new Kahr CW9..gun is very accurate.i first Shot 150 rounds of Blazer Brass target ammo,not one malfunction..i then switched to Speer Gold Dot hollow points,115 gr..i had 1 FTF the first magazine,then shot 40 more rounds with no problem.is it just a coincidence that i had a malfunction with the Speer Gold Dot and none with the Blazer target ammo? mabey try another SD load to be sure?
    Last edited by crue2009; July 10th, 2009 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    just shot my 1st 200 rounds through my new Kahr CW9..gun is very accurate.i first Shot 150 rounds of Blazer Brass,not one malfunction..i then switched to Speer Gold Dot hollow points,115 gr..i had 1 FTF the first magazine,then shot 40 more rounds with no problem.is it just a coincidence that i had a malfunction with the Speer Gold Dot and none with the Blazer?
    Did the round nose dive when you tried to racked the first round?

If so, mine does the same thing from time to time. I use the same rounds too. Never has had a problem when I use the slide release. Not sure why it does it, but it's never failed to fire, or feed as long as I use the slide release. I tried to simulate the round nose dive several times using the slide release, but it never does. ? Excellent choice for CC, use the +p gold dots and a second mag and you're well protected.

How did ya like the elite trigger? It's one of the best I have ever used. For $400 and change, great buy for a 9mm.

TC
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

The Blazer was FMJ? Round nose FMJ feeds more reliably than the blunt nose of JHPs.

Kahr says not to consider their guns reliable until after the 200-rd break in period.

You may want to run some more ammo through it to be sure.

I've made the decision (after issues with 3 Kahrs) to never again buy a defensive handgun that needs a "break in" period. My Glocks and Ruger have been reliable out of the box.

Best of luck with your CW9 - hope it works for you!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Did the round nose dive when you tried to racked the first round?

If so, mine does the same thing from time to time. I use the same rounds too. Never has had a problem when I use the slide release. Not sure why it does it, but it's never failed to fire, or feed as long as I use the slide release. I tried to simulate the round nose dive several times using the slide release, but it never does. ? Excellent choice for CC, use the +p gold dots and a second mag and you're well protected.

How did ya like the elite trigger? It's one of the best I have ever used. For $400 and change, great buy for a 9mm.

TC
    Trigger is very smooth,liked it.Very accurate to..I did use the slide release EVERY time to chamber the first round,as noted in the manual.So i don't think that was the problem.If i remember correctly,it was the 3rd or 4th round of the first magazine of Gold Dots that malfunctioned.Might have been due to the 200rd break-in as stated in the manual,not sure?

I had a Kahr P9 that did the same thing during its 200 round break in process. After that, it ran fine. The only reason I traded it for a Glock 26 was because it would abrade the base of my right thumb from firing it more than 50 rounds at a time.
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member
    Did you clean the mags, before shooting it? Could be the follower is getting hung up, if it's always the same round that hangs...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

crue
    break in period is just that
    Kahrs are manufactured tight, gun needs loosening up
    it is normal for gun to "act up" during break in period

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    All the posters have pretty much covered everything. The break in period is important just as in a car. Parts need to mate and adjust to usage. Even Kimbers and Springfields need breaking in. All I can add is, if you continue to have that problem is 1)try a different magazine, 2)Polish the feed ramp.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

My Kahr PM9 acted up a bit in the first 100 rounds but since then have had no issues.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Administrator
    Sometimes on a new semi-auto there is a sharp edge on the extractor head.
    Since all cartridge cases by different manufacturers are not exactly identical...a case by a different manufacturer can sometimes "bite more metal" during the feed resulting in a FTFeed until that sharp edge wears off a bit.

Just one possible cause.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    all this CW9 talk has finally worn me down. I located two CW9's in two different local shops calling around today... both were interested in a "trade".... I'll be bringing one home tomorrow

surv

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    thanks to crue2009 and everyone else here at DC that keep extolling the virtues of the Kahr pistols, particularly the CW9 lately, I did what I said I was going to do yesterday. I figured a decent trade+cash deal last night to offer to one of my two favorite shops. I walked in, looked at the Kahr, offered the "deal", walked back to the truck to bring in my "offering", walked out 10 minutes later with the NIB CW9.

First thing was take it home, strip, clean, and relube.... then a quick trip to the range. We only put 100 rounds of cheap PMC FMJ through it (I stripped and cleaned at the bench after first 50), but including myself, my son, best friend, and a stranger, there were no...NO.. malfunctions of any kind. Everyone that handled it could shoot it well.

This gun points natural, and with the low bore axis there is very little muzzle flip, and recoil is almost a non issue.

I have never seen a NIB gun with as highly polished feed ramp/ barrel hood as this. Fit and finish are great for a "low end" offering from a manufacturer's line. I don't care a bit that the manufacturer's marks are stamped rather than etched, or that the rifling is standard rather that polygonal. At defensive distances, the bullets don't care about the rifling style, and the target probably isn't really impressed with laser engraving either. From what I understand, there is really no mechanical differences between the CW9 and PM9, other than rifling. One real disadvantage is the CW9 and single magazine issue. NUTS! There shouldn't be any self respecting handgun manufacturer shipping NIB weapons without 2 magazines. (Sig finally woke up)

The CW9 dropped right in to my old Don Hume H715 IWB holster (where it rests comfortable at this moment).

I am really stoked! I may continue to lust for the MK9, but for now the 9mm hole in my carry rotation is well filled

surv

well...also there is a difference in the plastic, pinned front sight on the CW compared to the dovetail sight on the PM... so no night sights for the CW

Glad to hear you like the Kahr CW9. I have about 350 rounds though mine with no problems at all. I did polish the feed ramp with a Dremel as there were some machine marks that were visible but it worked fine before and after. By the way the PM9 is a different gun and much smaller. The CW9 is a lower priced model that compares in size to the P9. I just saw the PM 9 at a gunshop for $750. I agree about the single magazine being a poor way to package but Kahr wanted to hit a certain price point so they cut a few corners as you noted. Other than the magazine none will matter to me. I picked upan extra mag from buds gunshop. for around $24. Cheapest I could find online. Enoy your Kahr.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    My CW40 has been flawless during and after breakin. The only thing low end about the CW series is the price.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links