Have a S&W 4516, Should I Save for a SIG P220???

This is a discussion on Have a S&W 4516, Should I Save for a SIG P220??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, Here is my dilema, I normally carry my LCP in shorts or my Glock 26. No help needed for me here, as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a S&W 4516, Should I Save for a SIG P220???

Have a S&W 4516, Should I Save for a SIG P220???

Hello All,

Here is my dilema, I normally carry my LCP in shorts or my Glock 26. No help needed for me here, as I like them both very much for what they do for me for their intended use.

I want at times to carry a 45 and I want a double action only or double/single 45. I know some may say Glock is what I should get as I already have one and the familarity of control issue but I want something different. I have a Smith 4516 that I bought new in the early 90's and like it quite a bit. It is a little heavy but I think I might be able to carry it (have not bought a holster to do so yet) BUT I was thinking how much I admire the looks and history of SIG's and thought about getting a P220 in the Carry variety. I have shopped a bit and it would require some savings, which is fine, but here are my questions:

1. Which trigger should I go for, I have never dry fired a DAK, anyone who has please give me your thoughts?

2. For anyone who has shot a SIG (I have not) in either trigger variety and shot a Smith similar to mine, can you give me your input?

3. Finally, I always want another gun, so I am always saving for the next....Does anyone think from their experience with both the S&W and a SIG, feel they are too similar to warrant spending the money on the SIG?

Thanks for your advice and thoughts, I truly appreciate it.

BTW, I posted a pic of my 4516 so I dont get yelled at!
    Attached Images
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

Damn if I wouldn't keep the 4516 and sooner or later pick up a Sig. I have never traded or sold any gun even the "junk" ones that I didn't wish I had back.

I won't sell the 4516, just wondering if I should drop the coin on a SIG if it is not much unlike my 4516....I try to never sell the ones I love!!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    I carried a 4516 in the 90s as well.....

Only problems I found with were:
    1)...it's heavy
    2) holsters are HARD to find (add to that I'm a lefty)
    3) magazines are nearly impossible to find now....(I bought 4 back in the 90s & they were hard to find then!)

Don't get rid of it!

Trigger is very similar to the Sig.

The only thing I didn't like was the magazine dis-connector (prevents gun from firing unless a magazine is in it.).

A couple of other differences in the 4516 from the SIG:
    - 4516 has a slide mounted safety
    - SIG has a de-cocking lever, the 4516 has it built into the slide mounted safety.

Nothing wrong with SIGs....so save up & buy one later!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I carried a 4516 in the 90s as well.....

Only problems I found with were:
    1)...it's heavy
    2) holsters are HARD to find (add to that I'm a lefty)
    3) magazines are nearly impossible to find now....(I bought 4 back in the 90s & they were hard to find then!)

Don't get rid of it!

Trigger is very similar to the Sig.

The only thing I didn't like was the magazine dis-connector (prevents gun from firing unless a magazine is in it.).

A couple of other differences in the 4516 from the SIG:
    - 4516 has a slide mounted safety
    - SIG has a de-cocking lever, the 4516 has it built into the slide mounted safety.

Nothing wrong with SIGs....so save up & buy one later!
    I have 2 magazines but I was wondering if I could find more so that is good to know that if Iam to carry it, I better start looking now!

I have not even looked ofr a holster thinking I would have no problem there either but now you have me concerned....

I have ALWAYS wanted a SIG but never got one so maybe now is the time to think about it more since I am sure on this front, holsters and mags are more, way more accessible. Thanks for the info, it is very valuable.

I always liked the S&W "4 digit" autos...

Would I do it? Probably not.

But I know how it is to really want something, it's hard to make it go away. I usually end up buying it anyway.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I have never had any problem find them. I carry a 4516 or 4516 variant pretty regularly. I have always been able to find several sources for new and used mags. No problemo.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Lead Moderator
    I have a SIG 220 SAO, and the trigger (out of the box) is one of the smoothest I've ever fired.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Yes, I too usually end up buying it anyways, but based on the price of the SIG's I think I am also looking for a "rational" reason.....not that one ever exists!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I have a SIG 220 SAO, and the trigger (out of the box) is one of the smoothest I've ever fired.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but I see there are SAO, DAK and I think also regular double/single actions...... What are all of the differences, I looked for pound pull differences and I keep seeing a variety of information.

Basically, I dont have very large hands, so some of the longer, not heavier, but longer-pull triggers are uncomfortable for me. Yet, I have no problems with the Glocks, but I think in the Glocks IMO, the triggers are set further back so it for me, compensates on the thickness of the grip.

VIP Member
    I too have been considering buying a P220. I have a P226 in .40 S&W and would like to add a .45 ACP to my line-up. I've been trying to decide whether to sell my Xd 4" or the P226 for the P220, or save and buy the P220, still on the fence about what to do myself, although I've been leaning more towards selling the XD.

I was the first post on this thread. I failed to address the purchase of the Sig, go for it I have a sig 245 and absolutely adore it. Carries great in my Comp-tac Minatour very easy to conceal with a tuckable holster. Shoots like a dream both SA & DA.
    I have always had a soft spot for S&W semi-autos, my first real carry gun was a model 39 that a friends brother brought back from Viet Nam. If I could find a 4516 I would probably buy it just for old times sake.

I think about selling my XD9 as i Have a G19 and a G26 so why have the XD........it is just too similar. As for the P226, I have never shot one but it too is one of the iconic guns of the day and I would not part with it if I had one. I have a Beretta 92 Italian that I seldom shoot but there is no way I would get rid of it for the same reason......The XD though, it is a great utilitarian gun but nothing "special" like the Beretta or SIG's IMO./

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    I was the first post on this thread. I failed to address the purchase of the Sig, go for it I have a sig 245 and absolutely adore it. Carries great in my Comp-tac Minatour very easy to conceal with a tuckable holster. Shoots like a dream both SA & DA.
    I have always had a soft spot for S&W semi-autos, my first real carry gun was a model 39 that a friends brother brought back from Viet Nam. If I could find a 4516 I would probably buy it just for old times sake.
    Thanks....and I am leaning toward your exact recommendation. I feel like the 4516 or rather the 4000 series of S&W guns are sort of a icon for their time, when it was really them or Beretta's as the pistol of choice for PD's and such.....so I would feel a bit sad in getting rid of it. I think I am going to start the savings for the P220 and also try to rent or borrow one to shoot between now and purchase time.

Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I think about selling my XD9 as i Have a G19 and a G26 so why have the XD........it is just too similar. As for the P226, I have never shot one but it too is one of the iconic guns of the day and I would not part with it if I had one. I have a Beretta 92 Italian that I seldom shoot but there is no way I would get rid of it for the same reason......The XD though, it is a great utilitarian gun but nothing "special" like the Beretta or SIG's IMO./
    I sold my Beretta Cougar to buy the XD, now I kind of regret it, and I agree, I don't see me selling the P226. I have an XD sub-compact also, which is one of my EDC's, along with a couple of .38 special snubbies, so I have really been questioning why I need the XD 4".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links