Folks who've had a problematic Kahr, I need your help

This is a discussion on Folks who've had a problematic Kahr, I need your help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a Kahr PM9 a few months back. I've already ran the standard 200 rounds, in fact I've probably got between 600 and 800 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folks who've had a problematic Kahr, I need your help

Unhappy Folks who've had a problematic Kahr, I need your help

I bought a Kahr PM9 a few months back. I've already ran the standard 200 rounds, in fact I've probably got between 600 and 800 rounds through it now. Had a couple of problems early on, but then it seemed to straighten out after the initial break in period.

The last few times I've been to the the range, my gun will shoot about 30 to 50 rounds, and then it FTE after the first shot. I do the standard tap/rack/bang, and it FTE every single shot throughout the magazine. It will fire, but it won't eject, and vicariously it can't load the next round.

After the first time it did this, I took it home, and took the gun apart and gave it a good cleaning and lubrication. Same story, about 30 to 50 rounds, then it FTE from the first shot on. Took home the second time and took the gun apart again, once again cleaning and lubricating. Just tonight I took it to the range, 30 to 50 rounds in, and it's FTE every single shot of the magazine. I've been using some basic Federal 115 gr., but it was even doing it with some of Speer Gold Dot JHP. This has happened after the last three trips to the range.

Anyone had an experience like this? Any have any suggestions or practical advice of what could be wrong? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    If it is under warranty I would call Kahr, let them deal with it. You have already dealt with it 600 rounds to long.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't use the same ammo as you, but it seems that after the first 30-50 rds your gun becomes fouled enough that it starts having ejection problems. What I would try efore returning it to the factory is fire it again until it starts to FTE. Clean it immediately at the range and fire it again. If it works alright, I would switch brands of ammo to something cleaner burning.
    I have a Kimber in .38 Super that works flawlessly unless I use PMC ammo, Then I have the same problem, FTE and stovepiping.
    I don't think it's anything mechanical, but you could check the ejector for damage/defect, but if this was the case, I think it would happen clean or dirty.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Because it is happening after a run of functionally fine rounds, I would suspect and re-examine these factors;
    * How you lube, perhaps make a change in brand or amount.
    * Perhaps you need a new recoil spring (a timing issue)
    * After 800 rounds, have you cleaned the mags?
    * Is the extractor clean and in good condition?
    * Is the ejector OK, no chips in it?

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Ok, just to be thorough, any chance you're limpwristing it?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Your not shooting wolf steel case rounds are you?
    If so the lacquer coating can cause that same problem.
    It can build up inside the chamber and cause the rounds to stick
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Nope, not limp wristing it, and I'm not shooting Wolf. I've been mostly shooting some basic Federal FMJ. It's your basic brass target load.

I noticed the gun was "oily" at the barrel end of the weapon. Could too much lube by a problem as well? I'll be checking into everyone's suggestions mentioned earlier when I get off work, and if all else fails making a phone call to Kahr like redrick suggested.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

While I don't know if this is contributing to your issues, Kahr folks did tell me to change the recoil spring at the 1000 round point. You're getting close.

I would actually recommend two recoil springs for this pistol - one for range use, and another that is strictly for carry use.

Good luck.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    Nope, not limp wristing it, and I'm not shooting Wolf. I've been mostly shooting some basic Federal FMJ. It's your basic brass target load.

I noticed the gun was "oily" at the barrel end of the weapon. Could too much lube by a problem as well? I'll be checking into everyone's suggestions mentioned earlier when I get off work, and if all else fails making a phone call to Kahr like redrick suggested.
    Yes too much oil can cause problems. Oil is "sticky" to dust and burnt powder. After enough gets caught it turns into a tar like mess.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

The Shop I work for has had to send a few Kahrs back. Some were Mag related some had Barrel problems.

My K9 has been great from the get-go, feeds, shoots accurately, great gun.

But my friend had a PM9 that had problems feeding. He sent it back to Kahr. When it came back it still had a problem every so often. Then once it seemed to feed OK but the slide didn't go all the way into battery. He pulled the trigger and it fired. The shell ejected to the rear like a rocket, and lucky we were not to be standing behind him. He never fired it again. We tested it without ammo, and we could pull the slide back almost a quarter inch and it would still drop the firing pin when he pulled the trigger. Back to the dealer it went. He said he'd never buy another Kahr.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    I bought a Kahr PM9 a few months back. I've already ran the standard 200 rounds, in fact I've probably got between 600 and 800 rounds through it now. Had a couple of problems early on, but then it seemed to straighten out after the initial break in period.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    While I don't know if this is contributing to your issues, Kahr folks did tell me to change the recoil spring at the 1000 round point. You're getting close.

I would actually recommend two recoil springs for this pistol - one for range use, and another that is strictly for carry use.
    Emphasis Mine

Really? I know about guns having break-in periods, but I think it's a matter of shoddy workmanship. Break-in period, and having to replace the recoil spring after 1000 rounds? ***? This will certainly keep me away from Kahr...

(This is not any reflection on the OP, or responders, just my humble opinion.)
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Talked via email with Ian at Kahr. Very prompt and easy to deal with. Looks like I'll be sending it in. I'll let you guys know how it all turns out. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and experience.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Just to put in a good word for Kahr. For those of you who seem to hear something like this and say "I'll never buy another Kahr", well I think you need a different perspective.

First of all I have 2 Kahr's and I've never had a hiccup with either with any ammo. they're perfect.

Secondly, read this forum long enough and you'll see quite clearly that there are only a few names that you can buy that have a really good chance of not having any issues out of the box. Get a Glock, Sig, HK, or a full size 1911 from Sprinfield and you're probably NEVER going to have a problem but even with those you'll hear of problems. Then try going smaller like 3" 1911's or even a $1,200 Springfield EMP and you'll hear a LOT about problems where they had to send them back.

Even revolvers have their issues. My Ruger SP101 locked up during it's first range trip and had to go back to the factory for repair.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's unrealistic to think you can buy semi's and not have to send one back to the factory once in a while. Even high end guns like Kimbers; well you hear about all kind's of problems.

If you rule out a mfg just because you read some negative posts, you may be missing something good.

I believe kahr's are one of the best CCW's available on the market today. The PM9 is quite the pistol considering the specs on it.

I feel the poster went too far and spend too much ammo on this. At 250-300 I would have already sent this back.

So send it back and it's likely you'll be very satisfied in the end. I've seen a Kimber worked on by the factory 3 times and it just wouldn't work right. I think you can get a lemmon in any brand. I think the Kahrs have a higher rate of issues than say a full size sig or HK because of the size and angle of the feed ramp. The design pushes the envelope just like a 3" 1911.

The PM9 is a bit too snappy for me but for larger guys I think it's a great pocket carry!

So hang in there friend and enjoy it once you get the kinks worked out!

This is also why I keep at least two guns in any given caliber so I have alternatives when/if one has to go home.

I don't recall anyone posting issues with steel Kahr pistols. The polymer pistols, however, seem to have a higher rate of problems.

As I've posted, I had my early P9 and PM9 back to Kahr several times. Got my money back on the P9, and Kahr replaced my early PM9 with a newer one. The new PM9 shoots fine, but you can't eject a "dud" JHP from the chamber without the next round jamming nose-down into the feed ramp. This is unacceptable to me. It is actually up for sale on consignment at my local gun shop.

I just don't trust Kahr. I solved my Kahr issues by buying a Glock 26.

Those who like their Kahrs - I wish them well, and hope you don't experience anything close to what I have with their products.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links