Sig P239 Slide Release

Sig P239 Slide Release

This is a discussion on Sig P239 Slide Release within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've handled a few Brand new 239s lately and on every one, the Slide Release is impossible to work. I can't get it it to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P239 Slide Release

Sig P239 Slide Release

I've handled a few Brand new 239s lately and on every one, the Slide Release is impossible to work. I can't get it it to release, I need to work the slide to cock. It's very small and it's very tightly fitted to the slide. I always thought Glocks were hard to work, but this is way worse! I was thinking about getting one but not if the release wont work. Of course, the sales person said it would get better, but I don't see how it would. Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone purchased a new one recently and can elaborate, does it get better? By the way, not too long ago, I saw a used one that was made in early 2000's and the slide release seemed larger, more like the 226/229's release and was much easier to work.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have a P239 and I do not have that problem. Indeed, on that gun, I have a problem with riding the slide release in my normal shooting grip and having it not lock open at all!

It likely will ease up some with use. I have noticed lately that new SIGs coming straight from the factory just seem generally tight to start with, but mine have done just fine after a good cleaning and a few range trips. (Not a P239 in that group, though; just a couple of P220s...)

Good luck!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Sorry, but I have two 239s (one 40 S&W, one 9mm) and haven't experienced the problem with either one.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Lead Moderator
    239 (9mm) and don't recall ever having a problem with the slide release.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I have a 239 and have experienced this in a way. If the mag is empty and you press the release it is extremely hard if not impossible to release. If you take the mag out or have rounds in the mag it is fine. Is that the issue?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    after a few hundred rounds you won't notice it at all. Just from my experience, all new, high quality, tight spec handguns need some break-in. Then they are capable of passing down for 2 or 3 generations (or more) of family use. My P239 was slightly used before I got it, and basically had gone through a good break-in. Never a hitch with any of the controls ... or anything else.

surv

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I had this problem --sort of-- with mine when I got it, all factory fresh. EVERYTHING was tight, it was even difficult to load the mags all the way. However, after about 200 rds, it was much easier. I go at least 100-200 rds per week now, and it's a piece of cake now. My FFL told me that indeed the Sigs in general are really tight at first, but after a hundred rounds or so, they ease up.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

The hard-core old guys will tell you it's not a slide release but a slide catch. The proper method is to strip the empty mag, insert the fully loaded mag and briskly rack the slide rearward to complete the chambering. It makes some old codgers mad to see us using the "catch" to "release."

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Czampion in his original reply wrote: >
    The hard-core old guys will tell you it's not a slide release but a slide catch. The proper method is to strip the empty mag, insert the fully loaded mag and briskly rack the slide rearward to complete the chambering. It makes some old codgers mad to see us using the "catch" to "release."__________________

I guess you can call me a "hard core old guy" because that's how I always do it.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Czampion View Post
    The hard-core old guys will tell you it's not a slide release but a slide catch. The proper method is to strip the empty mag, insert the fully loaded mag and briskly rack the slide rearward to complete the chambering. It makes some old codgers mad to see us using the "catch" to "release."
    Actually the slide catch will automatically engage after the last shot is fired from the mag. To change mags Sig recommends to leave slide locked open, remove empty mag, insert full mag, then depress the slide catch lever to release the slide and return the gun to battery.

To the original poster: Do you depress the slide catch in a downward motion? The tendency would be to press in and down at the same time which is incorrect. Try pushing the slide catch lever straight down and you will be amazed at how much easier it is. Several releases will also lessen needed pressure. Good Luck!
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. – Richard Henry Lee 1788

The hard-core old guys will tell you it's not a slide release but a slide catch. The proper method is to strip the empty mag, insert the fully loaded mag and briskly rack the slide rearward to complete the chambering.
    Hardcore here, I guess.

I guess it could be the empty mag issue becuase I've only handled them at stores. So you're saying I should try to release one with the mag removed and that the action woul dbe easier? I too usually pull the slide back vs the release, however, I still want to be able to release it should I chose to.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAdams View Post
    To change mags Sig recommends to leave slide locked open, remove empty mag, insert full mag, then depress the slide catch lever to release the slide and return the gun to battery.
    Actually the SIG manual lists both the slide catch AND the "slingshot" method in the same paragraph. But the slide catch is listed FIRST, which to some of us old farts means it is the preferred method.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

wait what? how hard-core old guys do that with a revolver
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

I own two 239's and one of them has a slide catch that's a little tighter than the other. However, you might notice that once you load your magazine the slide catch operates much easier than when the mag is unloaded. Try it and let me know what you think.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links